“Time of our life!!”

Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach Destin
Ranked #5 of 29 Hotels in Fort Walton Beach
Reviewed 29 May 2008

We decided to pack up and go to Florida to get married. After a large amount of searching I found the SunSpree. I decided to pick this location based on the pros - tiki bar, 2 pools, ocean front and food on site. We had 60 people come down and everyone loved it. The rooms were clean, staff was friendly and the food was great. We plan on going back next year.

However, the suites are smaller than what we planned - since we spent most of our time out at the ocean, pool and or tiki bar we did not mind it at all!!

• Stayed: May 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Evelyn B, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach Destin, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2016

Greetings Reviewer,

Thank you kindly for your feedback! It has certainly been a few years since your visit. We are now the Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach Destin Hotel. Throughout the years we have transformed into one of the favorite resorts in Fort Walton Beach. Under our new flag, we invite you back into the Wyndham Garden, to create a memory that will last for many generations to come.

Evelyn B.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,872)

Reviewed 7 May 2008

I've been staying at this hotel for many years and despite a few problems each time, I still love it. Other than the fact that the weather was just terrible, my stay gave me what I was seeking: a nice view of the gulf and a few days of warmer weather than I have up North. The beach is just so beautiful, even nasty weather couldn't keep me away.

Some things are really consistent at this Sunspree; both good and bad. I've always had a nice clean room in the location I request, the beds are always comfy and the staff is ultra accommodating of my every request...sort of.

What irks me to no end is that when I plan a visit, I always call in person to the front desk to inquire which groups might have blocks of rooms reserved during the time I wish to stay. I do this because there are two specific groups (cheer competitions and pageants) that totally ruin any chance for relaxation, use of the pool or hot tub, quiet conversation poolside, or less than a 20 minute wait for something to eat at Manatees. I always follow up the day before flying down to reconfirm the information I was given when I booked my reservation and more than half the time, they lie to me. I would happily pay the cancellation fee and rebook for a later date if someone would just tell me the truth in the first place but instead I have to suck it up and deal with the chaos.

I guess I'm a glutton for punishment, I'll be back in the fall for my bi-annual visit and take my chances again because when things go right at the Sunspree, the place is awesome. If management could get a better handle of the ill-behaved kiddies, it would be even better.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Evelyn B, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach Destin, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2016

Reviewed 4 April 2008

The Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort ended up being the hotel from hell. We arrived at 2 p.m. to check in and the front desk told us that check in was not until 4 p.m. We came back at 4:30 p.m. and our suite was still not cleaned and ready. We were unable to get into our room until 6:00 p.m. The people at the front desk were VERY unhelpful. Their customer service was terrible, I called down to the front desk the first night we were there and they could not even bring extra pillows, blankets, etc. up to our room and the thermostat could not be adjusted. We stayed in a suite and it was so tiny. When we made the reservation they had told us it was very roomy. That was NOT the case. I would not recommend staying at this hotel!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank DaisyMae78

Greetings Reviewer,

It has certainly been a few years since your visit. We are now the Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach Destin Hotel. Throughout the years we have transformed into one of the favorite resorts in Fort Walton Beach. Your feedback has contributed to the improvement and 100% correction of your concerns. Under our new flag, we invite you back into the Wyndham Garden, to create a memory that will last for many generations to come.

Reviewed 3 March 2008

My husband and I stayed three nights in a gulf front king standard room and were very pleased. The room was clean and nice with a microwave and small refrigerator. The 4th floor room had a great straight on view of the gulf beach and pool area. Looking left and right down the beach was somewhat limited but I was not disapointed at all with our view. The pool and grounds area were kept clean and neat as a pin. Mattress was perfect. We always take our own pillows, but we really didn't need them this trip. If you're not satisfied with the pillows in the room you can order different ones. We normally go for a condo but since it was only the two of us and were only staying 3 nights we decided on a standard room. For a longer stay or a larger party I would opt for one of thier suites with the full kitchen and seperate bedroom. Even with being accustomed to staying in a condo my husband and I were happy with this room.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ky40741

Reviewed 2 March 2008

Very nice and clean hotel. The website as always does make it out to be a little better then it actually is. Overall it was pretty clean and well maintained. My only gripes are that the internet kept cutting out for days at a time and also that the maid service chicks are beating on your door at 9 am. The beach was great to take our kids to and the hotel provides free umbrellas and chairs. There is also a pretty nice restaurant and bar inside the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Escalate

Reviewed 8 November 2007

An older hotel renovating as they can. Probably hit and miss with the rooms. Nice , convenient restaurant. The two pools and hot tub are large enough to accommodate many guests without feeling crouded. I imagine most people are there for the beach which is very clear and warm.

Stayed: November 2007
1  Thank lhs1

Reviewed 9 October 2007

i had heard some reveiws about this place but i decided to go anyway ...i am glad i did. To me everyone was nice and willing to go out of their way to help me. The view from the room was out of this world. I plan to go back every year and and thats the hotel i will stay in. Thanks for making my 1st trip to florida a great one!!!!

Stayed: October 2007