“Service sucks!”

Ranked #6 of 29 Hotels in Fort Walton Beach
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Service sucks!”
Reviewed 27 June 2008

I chose this resort only because it was on the beach. The location is great. The service sucks. This is the second time we stayed here and it was not better than the first. Being right on the beach is great and they have a ton of stuff for kids as well as free chairs and umbrellas on the beach. BUT the staff is less than friendly. I booked online and was then charged a higher rate and had to pull up my confirmation to prove it. They were not nice about it. The cafe staff forgot to put my husbands order in and then didnt seem to care about how long it took to get it fixed. We will not be staying here again. I recommend that you look into one of the condos on the beach here.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — service
Stayed June 2008
Evelyn B, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach Destin, responded to this review, 25 February 2016
Greetings Reviewer,

Thank you kindly for your feedback! It has certainly been a few years since your visit. We are now the Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach Destin Hotel. Throughout the years we have transformed into one of the favorite resorts in Fort Walton Beach. Under our new flag, we invite you back into the Wyndham Garden, to create a memory that will last for many generations to come.

Evelyn B.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Cincinnati,OH
Reviewed 14 June 2008

This resort is the best beachfront hotel you can find in ft. walton. I loved the location b/c its right beside Destin so you can have an short easy drive to go to;restraunts/waterparks/other activities and etc. and not have to stay in a crowded Destin hotel area. The hotel is very very clean and the beds i have to say are so comfty. THE BEACHFRONT VIEW is astounding, my family and i woke up went out on the balcany and ate breakfast looking at the clear blue water w/ dolphins jumping early in the morning. The two pools are clean and refreshing one pool has a very fun rock slide(kids love this slide!!!) and the other with a hot tub. Also the poolside mantee Grill has great food. There are sooo many activities at the hotel and nearby that can keep the whole family busy-young kids, teens, and adults. I would highly recommend this relaxing gulf of mexico front, it is well worth the money and you will have a great time guaranteed-my family did and were going back this summer!!!! TIP- Book a room that is on upper level and is beach front view-its beautiful scenery

Stayed July 2006
1 Thank KALUKA
Evelyn B, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach Destin, responded to this review, 5 February 2016

Michigan
Reviewed 29 May 2008

We decided to pack up and go to Florida to get married. After a large amount of searching I found the SunSpree. I decided to pick this location based on the pros - tiki bar, 2 pools, ocean front and food on site. We had 60 people come down and everyone loved it. The rooms were clean, staff was friendly and the food was great. We plan on going back next year.

However, the suites are smaller than what we planned - since we spent most of our time out at the ocean, pool and or tiki bar we did not mind it at all!!

• Liked — Ocean and pool
  • Stayed May 2008

Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed 7 May 2008

I've been staying at this hotel for many years and despite a few problems each time, I still love it. Other than the fact that the weather was just terrible, my stay gave me what I was seeking: a nice view of the gulf and a few days of warmer weather than I have up North. The beach is just so beautiful, even nasty weather couldn't keep me away.

Some things are really consistent at this Sunspree; both good and bad. I've always had a nice clean room in the location I request, the beds are always comfy and the staff is ultra accommodating of my every request...sort of.

What irks me to no end is that when I plan a visit, I always call in person to the front desk to inquire which groups might have blocks of rooms reserved during the time I wish to stay. I do this because there are two specific groups (cheer competitions and pageants) that totally ruin any chance for relaxation, use of the pool or hot tub, quiet conversation poolside, or less than a 20 minute wait for something to eat at Manatees. I always follow up the day before flying down to reconfirm the information I was given when I booked my reservation and more than half the time, they lie to me. I would happily pay the cancellation fee and rebook for a later date if someone would just tell me the truth in the first place but instead I have to suck it up and deal with the chaos.

I guess I'm a glutton for punishment, I'll be back in the fall for my bi-annual visit and take my chances again because when things go right at the Sunspree, the place is awesome. If management could get a better handle of the ill-behaved kiddies, it would be even better.

• Liked — The beach and the pools
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled solo

Missouri
Reviewed 4 April 2008

The Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort ended up being the hotel from hell. We arrived at 2 p.m. to check in and the front desk told us that check in was not until 4 p.m. We came back at 4:30 p.m. and our suite was still not cleaned and ready. We were unable to get into our room until 6:00 p.m. The people at the front desk were VERY unhelpful. Their customer service was terrible, I called down to the front desk the first night we were there and they could not even bring extra pillows, blankets, etc. up to our room and the thermostat could not be adjusted. We stayed in a suite and it was so tiny. When we made the reservation they had told us it was very roomy. That was NOT the case. I would not recommend staying at this hotel!!!!!!!!

• Liked — Nothing!
  • Disliked — I did not like anything about this accommodation!
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank DaisyMae78
Greetings Reviewer,

It has certainly been a few years since your visit. We are now the Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach Destin Hotel. Throughout the years we have transformed into one of the favorite resorts in Fort Walton Beach. Your feedback has contributed to the improvement and 100% correction of your concerns. Under our new flag, we invite you back into the Wyndham Garden, to create a memory that will last for many generations to come.

kentucky
Reviewed 3 March 2008

My husband and I stayed three nights in a gulf front king standard room and were very pleased. The room was clean and nice with a microwave and small refrigerator. The 4th floor room had a great straight on view of the gulf beach and pool area. Looking left and right down the beach was somewhat limited but I was not disapointed at all with our view. The pool and grounds area were kept clean and neat as a pin. Mattress was perfect. We always take our own pillows, but we really didn't need them this trip. If you're not satisfied with the pillows in the room you can order different ones. We normally go for a condo but since it was only the two of us and were only staying 3 nights we decided on a standard room. For a longer stay or a larger party I would opt for one of thier suites with the full kitchen and seperate bedroom. Even with being accustomed to staying in a condo my husband and I were happy with this room.

• Liked — Clean, Comfortable, and great Location
  • Disliked — Chairs provided on the balcony
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ky40741

Escalate
Reviewed 2 March 2008

Very nice and clean hotel. The website as always does make it out to be a little better then it actually is. Overall it was pretty clean and well maintained. My only gripes are that the internet kept cutting out for days at a time and also that the maid service chicks are beating on your door at 9 am. The beach was great to take our kids to and the hotel provides free umbrellas and chairs. There is also a pretty nice restaurant and bar inside the hotel.

• Liked — beach
  • Disliked — parking
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business