“Not A Good Stay”

Ramada Plaza Fort Walton Beach Resort/Destin
Ranked #11 of 29 Hotels in Fort Walton Beach
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Arrived at the Ramada Plaza after spending the 1st 3 weeks down the road at the Four Points Sheraton after needing to move hotels due to room availability due to staying another week for work. Not impressed with the service and the sheer quality of the hotel. Grubby and outdated comes to mind with having stayed in some pretty naff hotels around the world, this one is up there on my list. I was given a room overlooking the main pool with the constant load noise coming from drunken guests in the pool and hot tub till the early hours and the constant roar of the waterfalls which was defining till it was switched off on a night. Situated at the top of the hotel the view was brilliant but I was also right under the main function room and had a wedding reception on two occasions. This wasn't the problem as it's a special day for those involved but the noise after the events that caused me to be woken several times right thru till 2-3 am by the hotel staff de-prepping the function room for the next day..."What a nightmare"
Parking was horrendous with on several occasions not being able to locate a parking spot for 10-20 minutes and on one occasion I had to park in a different hotel some 200 yrds away. The only good things about this hotel was the BBQ shack and the front bar.
Don't get me wrong the hotel tried its best and I'm sure if I had complained enough they would have moved me? I was on business, but if I had paid for a family holiday to this low grad hotel I would have demanded my money back.

Room Tip: Choose a beach view room as the inside rooms overlooking the pool are a nightmare for load noise on...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Yield-ramadafwb_123, Manager at Ramada Plaza Fort Walton Beach Resort/Destin, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

We appreciate you taking time to give us feedback on your experience. I'm sorry to hear that the noise level and parking were problems encountered during your stay. I hope that if business travel brings you back to the area you will give us another chance.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

The room was clean and the outdoor pool was heated which made that very nice. the Grato was great but cold. Once you get used to water then not so bad. Indoor bar was a plus. Overall very good. One or two suggestions. Get a lower level room there are no elevators. The breakfest bar was not worth the money. The eating room was beautiful but the quality and size of buffet was not very good. If they want to charge 10.95 a plate then at least the food could be worth the money. They only had scrambled eggs on buffet which was powdered or liquid egg and not very tasteful. The hasbrowns were greasy and tasted bad to me and food selection on buffet was limited. The price of the room was pricey but probably average for that area.

Room Tip: Try to get a package deal. Average rooms were around 240.00 a day and they had no elevator to upper...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the review. Your suggestions for improvement of the breakfast buffet offerings has been shared with the restaurant manager. I'm happy that you enjoyed the pools and bars. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel has seen some stuff. Yes it's older. Yes it could use some updating. However the beach bar, grotto bar, and BBQ shack provide just what I need for a casual vacation. This hotel has always shown me friendly service and a great time. I would love to see the owners step up the rooms with new things but keep the lovely old Florida charm and beautiful facilities.

Stayed: June 2014

Thank you for writing a review to share your experience. Our resort is historical to the local area and we appreciate that you see the charm in it. See you for your next visit to the beach!

Reviewed 30 July 2014

The beach is what it is, great! We had our 30th High School reunion, stayed there. It seems no real upgrades since the parking garage. Its time to upgrade, especially for the room rates, we stayed 5days

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

It was such a pleasure to have you here for your 30th reunion. Thanks for telling us about your visit. We hope to see you for the next one.

Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Although the rooms themselves were average at best, the resort overall was wonderful! Great location - just before the bridge that links Fort Walton Beach to Destin! Private beach access so we didn't have to get sand in our vehicle! Great pools - one huge cool pool with swim-up grotto waterfall bar, one large heated pool, huge hottub, small kiddie pool, and a really awesome splash garden for kids! From 5-10pm, you can order homemade pizza from downstairs .....we had it TWICE from Monday night to Friday morning, it was delicious! Would've eaten it every meal! Wish I had pizza that good here at home! Garden buffet breakfast was yummy! Plus super yummy poolside BBQ place, with the BEST burgers! Maid service was great! Rooms were clean, just small and crowded for a family of four! Walking downstairs out of the elevator, you turned left for pools, right for beach! Very close to the water compared to other nearby hotels! Sugar white sand! Very clean walkways, multiple outside showers to wash sand off! Although we would've liked a BIGGER room, we loved the resort! Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank shellyhugheswells

Thanks for the compliments! We are glad you enjoyed our Dine In Chef brick oven pizza so much, as well as the Garden Cafe breakfast and the Bayou Country BBQ outside near the pools. If your travels bring you back to the beach, we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

We LOVED our stay at the ramada. Our kids really enjoyed the pools and the splash zone. It was really cool how one door of the hotel opened up 2 the beach and the other side door opened up to the pools. We had a pool side hotel room on the 5th floor and loved our balcony. They even had bottom hotel rooms that connected 2 the pool! The beach was wonderful! White sugar sand and emerald green/blue water. We walked the beach 2 the boardwalk and ate dinner there almost every night. We highly recommend the black pearl. We walked on the pier that's walking distance from the hotel and looked down at dolphins swimming. Our room was standard but when your at the beach who's going 2 stay in your room all day?? The hotel was a little out dated but again we were barely in it! My family and I have decided to return to the ramada every year for a summer vacation!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thanks for your review! Our first floor Pool Deck rooms are truly unique. Give us a call directly if you would like to stay in one of those for your next trip. Can't wait to see you again!

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Front entrance is great but wait till you see the rooms would be great for 1950!!! Outside entrance to all the rooms nothing nice here at all!!!! The shower backed up with water knee deep called and they sent someone over they worked on it and said it's just a old hotel but still knee deep in water. I had my wife and two girls and they had two hair dryers going at once and all the lights go out they send someone and reset breaker and talked to my young daughter in a bad manner!!! Just beware there is a lot better in this beach area then you will find here!!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for telling us about your stay. I apologize for the maintenance problems you encountered and hope that you will give us another chance to show you a great visit to the beach.