“Vacation in Walton Beach”

Ramada Plaza Fort Walton Beach Resort/Destin
Ranked #8 of 29 Hotels in Fort Walton Beach

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Arabic first
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

I'm pretty easy to please but this place was not at all how it was represented online. It's obvious they built a pool facade to look good online, but in reality it's a dirty pool with a big fake rock waterfall. The building is an old, ugly motel so they need something to post. At check-in nobody explained how the beach chairs work. They have some workers line the front row of the beach with chairs and umbrella's very close together. So close the umbrella's touch each other. Then they charge you $30 per day if you want to sit in them. If you have your own chairs your view will be partially blocked and you'll have to disturb people by walking right over them to get to the water. The biggest let down was the window a/c units that sounded like an airplane when they kick on. We were woken up all through the night. The noise and heat from these outdated a/c units is emitted onto your balcony so to enjoy that space you have to shut the unit off. These a/c units do not remove humidity so the rooms are damp feeling, even the sheet's and your clothes. The pool had leaves in it every day so we never even swam in it. Beach bar was a nice touch and the proximity to the fishing pier and other restaurant's was a plus. Jet ski rental guy's who also handle the chair's are swindler's! We paid $100 to rent a jet ski for an hour and never got to ride. Long story short..he told us to come back the next day and he'd either do a jet ski for an hour or a paddle board for a half day. When I came back he said sorry no refunds and you have to ride on the day you rent it. My cc company refunded the money anyway- PUNK with the chest tattoo cleshay and lip ring.

Room Tip: Go to another Hotel, not this Motel.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mark H
Yield-ramadafwb_123, Manager at Ramada Plaza Fort Walton Beach Resort/Destin, responded to this review, 9 December 2014
We appreciate you taking time to tell us about your stay. We apologize that you did not have a great experience during your visit and hope that you will give us another chance. All A/C units are being replaced with brand new ones to avoid any disturbance from noise.
Lafayette, Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

We stayed here three nights for a convention for my husbands work. The beach was beautiful and spacious, so it was not overcrowded. The location is great. It's walking distance to some restaurants and the pier. The amenities are what make this place ideal for families. It is located directly on the beach so no roads to walk across. There are multiple showers for rinsing off so we never had to wait. Also there is a hotel bar on the beach which is convenient. The pool area is very large and has a large waterfall which of course kids love. You can pass under the waterfall and get to the grotto bar, which also serves fun tropical drinks for kids. Of course there is a hot tub nearby, but they also had a "quiet pool", a baby/wading pool, and a great splash pad/waterpark area for kids. There is an Alvin's Island gift shop on site which is convenient. The grounds and landscaping are nicely kept. There is a small hotel restaurant onsite with a cheap breakfast buffet which is convenient but its just ok. The only type of room service I saw was pizza from the hotel.

The problem with this hotel is the rooms need serious updating. We had two double beds in our room which were very hard but I like my super soft pillow top mattress so I may not be the best judge of this. The pillows and comforter were fine. The room had a microwave, mini fridge, and a safe which was nice. The space wasn't terrible for a short stay. Overall the room felt decently clean just old. The décor is old, the carpet is old, everything in the bathroom is old. The toiletries they provide seem cheap. We were on the ground floor in a building facing the pool area. We did not have a private patio or balcony but many other rooms did. That is definitely a feature we like so would request that next time. Some rooms had patios with pool access. You could literally sit on the edge of your patio and put your feet in the pool or hop in.

In the end I believe you are paying for the location and amenities, the room itself is not worth the price they charge. We enjoyed our stay and didn't experience any problems. I would recommend this for a short stay but not for a week long vacation.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thanks for sharing your experience. We are so glad that you found our resort to be family-friendly and kept busy with the numerous amenities available to our guests. If you come back to Fort Walton Beach, we hope to see you all again!
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Everything was close by. The beach was a short walk pools were nice. The pools are open late which was good for my ten year old. He could swim after dinner. Housekeeping was great, but wish housekeeping spoke more English. HUGE language barrier. I would love to know what type of mattresses they use as I am in the search for a new one. This one was GREAT!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank tinaco9999
Thanks for telling us about your visit. We're so happy that you loved our new mattresses so much. They are Simmons Beauty Rest - Cape Breton. We hope to see you again!
Blue Ridge, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

It was not clear at all from pix online that this is a motel with rooms exiting on a parking lot. I once stayed in a Holiday Inn in Lakeland where a neighboring guest was murdered, so I would NEVER book a room in this kind of hotel had I known. Too late - room already paid for - so I asked for a room NOT on the first floor facing the parking lot, explaining my experience. You would think I asked the clerk to give me the moon! After much fuss, and demands for extra dollars, we were moved to a courtyard room. Promptly went to beach and was waited on by a cabana boy who refused to give me a receipt for my credit card purchase, and was later accused by his coworker of not having paid for my beach chairs! I can honestly say this was the worst service I've had in some time, very disappointing, would never return.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jody F
Yield-ramadafwb_123, Manager at Ramada Plaza Fort Walton Beach Resort/Destin, responded to this review, 6 December 2014
We are very sorry that you did not enjoy your experience at our resort. Thank you for telling us about your stay. We will use your feedback to improve the quality of our resort.

Travellers are raving about these Fort Walton Beach hotels