“Staff Makes the Hotel”

Sleep Inn & Suites University/Shands
Ranked #8 of 47 Hotels in Gainesville
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I would recommend this hotel. We have stayed there two years in a row. The staff bends over backwards to do anything they can to assist you. They have fresh popcorn and cookies in the lobby. The rooms are simple and clean. And there are plenty of restaurants and shops nearby. If I visit Gainesville again, I will make a reservation here.

Room Tip: I personally like to stay in rooms away from the elevator and ice machine because they are quieter.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank stemardoyle

Reviewed 14 February 2014

I came in town late with no reservation and stopped in with hopes of finding an affordable room for the evening. I was greeted with a smile and such sweet/amazinf service (and a cookie) before quickly heading to my room. Thank you Taylor! The next morning before heading off to my business meeting I utilized the fitness room then enjoyed a yummy breakfast with the same great service I experienced upon check-in. Demetri gets an A+ for customer service. Checking out was no except to what I had experienced during my stay as Lacey quickly, professionally and with a smile got me checked out and on my way.
Thank you all for your outstanding CUSTOMER service!

Room Tip: I stayed on the second floor and couldn't have asked for a better room. There wasn't a "...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ricki M
Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

This was an OK property but needs a bit of care. Bathroom ceiling needed painting, A/C loud, elevator was pretty rough riding. Nice breakfast room and good assortment. Convenient to interstate. I would stay here again.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank rivrman
GatorFan49, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites University/Shands, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Bruce Cribbs
GM
Sleep Inn & Suites Universty/Shands
352-316-6311

Reviewed 9 February 2014

I chose this hotel mainly because I had points to use. From check-in to check-out we were treated like royalty. Taylor, at the front desk, was pleasant and helpful. There were assorted cookies in the lobby. The room was spotless and nicely decorated. I slept so well that I had to ask what brand the mattress and pillow were. There was no noise from the hallways indicating good insulation. The following morning we had complimentary breakfast which included eggs, meat, waffles and many other delightful goodies. The breakfast host said good morning to everyone and actively assisted with the waffle maker and directing people to what they needed. We will stay here again when we are in the area.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor which may have been more recently updated. The carpet appeared very recentl...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nanci_h_b
Reviewed 3 February 2014

This hotel is one that we stay at each year when we attend an event in Gainesville. It always seems to be brand new and clean. The breakfast is on time and frequently set up early which helps us a lot. I definitely recommend this hotel if you are in Gainesville.

Room Tip: Top floors experience less noise from those above but this normal for most places
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MICHAEL L
Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

I had to come to Gainesville for business with no notice. I flew in to Fort Lauderdale ( only flight I could get from where I was on vacation) and had to drive 325 miles to hotel. Upon arrival Miss Joy welcomed me at 2AM with a smile and offered to help me with luggage- and offered me late checkout. Later in morning Miss Rae helped me with late check out-- then held the room in case I needed to stay an extra night, and even though breakfast was over officially got me great coffee. They have a business center with computer and printer and wifi -- free of charge. Though this is not a new building, everything is updated and it appears brand new. My housekeeper was lovely and kind when I met her as well. Free nice breakfast, free parking--- and with a genuinely kind staff! Very convenient to I 75, right down from the university. Many restaurants and Walmart nearby. I would DEFINITELY recommend this hotel and stay here again.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank EpicuriousTourist
Reviewed 27 January 2014

When we travel we look for hotels with 4 travel ratings by guests that are as reasonably priced as we can find. This fit the bill and it met our expectations. It had good freeway access, it was clean and had plenty of space, the breakfast was typical for hotels of this type and the person at the desk was very helpful in making recommendations for places to eat. We would not hesitate to stay here again.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple