“Good value”

Sleep Inn & Suites University/Shands
Ranked #8 of 47 Hotels in Gainesville
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We were in Gainesville for student orientation and selected this hotel because it seemed to be the best value based on reviews in TA. After staying there two nights I was happy with what we received for what we paid! It is not the Hyatt. I have already rebooked for our next visit. The staff was very friendly. Breakfast area was small, food what you would expect, service very helpful and friendly. Room was quite, ok condition and cleanliness. Bring your own pillow. This hotel is better than average but it is not "very good" but it is worth the price in Gainesville, FL.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 22 May 2014

We stayed here while visiting the area. Location is quiet and grounds are meticulously kept. Lobby is inviting and there is popcorn and cookies each afternoon. Breakfast area clean and well stocked. All staff was friendly and helpful. Would stay again and recommend to others.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank thenfamily
Reviewed 18 May 2014

This was the most expensive hotel we stayed in over 2 1/2 weeks and it really was nothing special. We had stayed at a Red Roof Inn and a Best Western for under $80 that were every bit as good if not better in the furnishings area. That being said, the room was clean and fine. Breakfast was adequate, nothing special - no milk for tea though, just coffee mate and no tea bags - they had run out. I would stay again if the price were less. (We happened to arrive on a Saturday night in May during graduation.)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wolvesmgr
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I had a two-night stay in the Sleep Inn in Gainesville - good location - right off of I 75 and close to a wide variety of restaurants, etc. Staff was friendly and efficient. Rooms were clean and large. Breakfast was provided as well as wi-fi access. No complaints and would stay again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Thomas S
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I have never stayed at a Sleep Inn before. I am very partial to three star hotels or above. Sleep Inn barely made the 2.5 star rating on both Trip Advisor, AARP and AAA. So it was with trepidation that I made a reservation but I believe there is safety in numbers and a lot of travelers had previously reviewed it and I trusted my fellow travelers. If they do reviews as I do reviews, I figure they are trying to help a fellow traveler make the best decision for themselves or their family.

The purpose of my stay was strictly medical and I needed it close to Shands. This hotel was no more than 5 miles south of the exit needed for my doctor's office.

The hotel had a very welcoming front desk clerk. Check in went without a hitch.

We were on the second floor. Do not expect a view. We overlooked the parking lot and in the distance, another hotel.

After a nightmarish experience at a hotel in Buffalo, NY my husband now checks for bed bugs before I get near to plopping in bed. Fortunately, there were none noted. My thing is the bathroom. Thankfully it was spacious,the toilet flushed without effort and no unsightly ring around the toilet or the shower.The white linens and towels were the color they were intended to be.

We never watched the television because we came in with just enough time to go get supper and then we were just too tired to do anything except check email. Wi-Fi is free which is always a must for me.

The shower had a powerful jet and adequate warm water considering i had a fairly late start to my morning. Anyone following my reviews know that I have an eye for safety and the elderly. The shower has a grab bar and the step in for the tub is not too high for someone who may be mobility challenged.

The rooms are all equipped with a mini fridge and a microvace so it provides you the option to store bottles of water, juices or left over meals.

The room has an odd security latch. I personally did not like as it did not seem as if it would be secure enough in comparison to other hotel security latches, chains or deadbolts that I have seen.

I do not know if all rooms have adjoining rooms. Ours did and personally I have never liked that but that is just my personal preference. If you are traveling with others then that would be nice but if you are not, you just never know who is on the other side of that adjoining door.

I did not see a safe in which to lock up valuables but they did provide an ironing board, iron and a hair dryer.

There is a business center which is an added perk but for some strange reason it has a windows xp computer which we know is no longer being supported by Microsoft so I shudder at the vulnerabilities patrons face if they should use it. Best best is to bring your own device and trust to using their unsecured wi-fi.

A fitness room is provided. It has a treadmill, a bike and I forgot the third piece of equipment. The mirrors make it look larger than it is. It was nice that they thought to offer it though.

There is a free, hot, continental breakfast that is provided. I was running late for my appointment so I did not get to participate. The hotel also has popcorn, cookies and hot chocolate/coffee in the waiting room during the day for your use.

Check out was also a breeze and again done by a very friendly clerk.

The thing I most liked about this hotel is its location. It is conveniently located to the highway. You come off I-75 at exit 384 and with very minimum turns, you arrive at your destination. It is perfect for a short term or long term stay at UF/Shands. There are many eateries within a 3 mile radius of this hotel.

Someone else had commented on the "paper thin walls". They were not kidding. Thankfully I did not hear the people on either side of me but the people above me must have either had restless kids running and jumping on the floor or they were dragging heavy luggage back and forth for about an hour. I went to Gainesville with a severe headache and their noise was not conducive to my health or restfulness. Just when my husband was going to call the front desk after 10p, the noise suddenly stopped. It returned in the morning but thankfully we were checking out at that point.

If I should ever need to go back to Gainesville I would definitely give Sleep Inn another opportunity to serve me. Btw, the only reason I put "poor" for the value is I do not believe $101 per night with an AARP discount is considered very reasonably priced considering I could have gotten a lower price at a comparable "inn" but I am not into inns.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Bubbly B
Reviewed 13 May 2014

My boyfriend and I were traveling to Orlando and needed a place to stay for a night. We read many many google reviews for the hotels in Gainesville that were in our price range (less than $100/night). Going on the great reviews from other Sleep Inn guests, and the poor reviews for other comparable hotels in the area, we decided on this one. The front desk attendant was extremely nice, our room and bathroom were clean, and the free continental breakfast was great (eggs, biscuits and gravy, cereal, muffins, bagels, waffles, etc...) They did have a small fitness center (a treadmill, elliptical, and bike), but it fit our need. The hotel was quiet and a great place to stay. The price couldn't be beat either! During our research we saw many 2-3 star ratings for hotels for the same or greater price. There was a "Now Open" sign on the hotel so I'm assuming it's fairly new. There was an outdoor pool, we didn't use it, but it looked good as well. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank foroneaudience
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I booked this hotel on line and have not stayed there before. Upon arrival I am met by Taylor and Lacy, two smiling faces! They were pleasant, helpful, kind, and full of personality. I stay in hotels at least 20 days a month and very seldom come in contact with such great people. Some bosses are not around but Bruce was there and after visiting with him, I saw he has high expectations which reflected in his hotel.
I would choose this hotel again for these reasons: THE PEOPLE, the location, cleanliness, non-smoking, no pets (although I love pets, I dislike it when people take them to hotels and leave them to bark!).
I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business