“good place to stay”

Sleep Inn & Suites University/Shands
Ranked #7 of 47 Hotels in Gainesville
Reviewed 4 August 2014

A good place to stay, good prices, friendly staff and very nice rooms. Close to interstate and lots of good restuarants , shopping and movies within a mile of the hotel. Close to Shands hospital if that is your destination. A little bit difficult to find since the road to the hotel is so close to the interstate exit.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Doug K

Reviewed 24 July 2014

I am a patient at Shands and stay at this hotel on a regular basis. They are ALWAYS so friendly and accommodating. It is CLEAN, quiet, and love that it is 100% non-smoking. Staff actually care about you and the manager, Bruce Cribbs, was in at my last stay and even took time to introduce himself and thank me for staying there. The breakfast in the morning is very nice and the staff person is also very pleasant and goes above and beyond to make sure you feel welcome and that you have what you need. I have never had a bad experience here, even having stayed here after surgery, it is quiet, comfortable, and the staff goes out of there way to make sure you have anything you need. LOVE this hotel!!! It is clean, clean, CLEAN!!!!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank RCorne1052
Reviewed 13 July 2014

If you're tired from a long drive, or if you need rest, this is not the place to be. After traveling all day,my husband and I searched online for a bargain before going back home. We called ahead to check the rate and availability and were quoted one price, but once we arrived, it had gone up $20..The service desk person seemed nice so despite the inconsistent pricing, we stayed. Apparently, they allow kids to have parties because next to our room, several teenagers began arriving back to back, talking loud, playing music, and using profanity. After 2 calls, and an ultimatum, the front desk person moved us to another room and we thought we were better off except..we don't know what was next door OR directly above us, but whatever it was there was constantly beating and it sounded like something was being drug back and forth over our head. HAD TO SLEEP WITH THE TV ON otherwise I would have been looking around and jumping at every loud thump! IT WOULD HAVE BEEN WORTH THE EXTRA MONEY TO HAVE SLEEP AND NOT THESE PAPER THIN WALLS....when you walk down the hall, it feels like the floors may collapse at any moment. AND THAT MUSTY SMELL...

• Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank Tootiepoo
GatorFan49, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites University/Shands, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Hi, I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review. I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. That specific group of college kids will not be allowed back as I had to threaten to throw them out several times. Again I apologize. Please contact me so that I can discuss further with you as we would like to ensure these issues are addressed. We are very proud of our customer service and take it personally when we fail to properly take care of our guest. I can be reached on my cell phone at 352-316-6311. Thank you , Bruce

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We booked a room after reading all the positive reviews, but now we wished we had stayed somewhere else. We checked in right before 11pm and quickly went up to room 211 to get our kids to bed and settle in for the night. However, after we put the kids to sleep in their bed and got into our bed, my husband and I saw visible blood stains through the bed sheet. We pulled off the sheet and found several blood stains on the bed liner. I went downstairs and spoke with the night staff person and he gave me another bed liner. However, when I brought the bed liner to the room, I found stains on this liner as well. I went down to the front desk for the 2nd time and asked for a clean bed liner. The night staff went to the back and after awhile came back and told me that he couldn't find any clean ones and offered to switch us to another room. As it was midnight by this point, I told him that I did not want to wake our kids up to move to another room and that there was no guarantee that the new room would have clean bed linens. He looked in the back again and told me that the only clean bed liner he could find was for a king size bed. I took that up to our room and used the liner that was too big for the bed but at least did not have blood stains on it, and remade the bed. The next morning I went downstairs to ask to speak with the manager to alert him to the problem with our bed linens. The woman on duty at the desk told me that the manager was not in and gave me his business card to contact him. She did give me 50% off the room rate but did not say anything about speaking with housekeeping or what they were going to do about all the dirty blood stained bed linens that the hotel was using. I offered to show her the photos we took of the dirty linens but she refused to look at them. After we checked out of the hotel, I emailed the manager, Bruce Cribbs several times and included the photos of the dirty bed linens, but he never emailed me back. I guess they don't care about the blood stained bed linens...

The one positive of our experience is that the guy who manages the breakfast buffet is great! He is the best hotel breakfast bar attendant we have ever met. He went to each table to ask the guests if they needed anything and even made waffles to order. There is a tip jar on the counter so please tip him as he is as service oriented as any good wait staff at a restaurant.

That is if after reading this review you still decide to stay at this Sleep Inn location, despite the fact they don't seem to stock very many bed liners that are not blood stained. My recommendation is that you stay at another hotel if you are in Gainesville. Or at the very least check your bed linens before you get in bed.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank TarheelTravelsAlot
GatorFan49, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites University/Shands, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Hi, I am very sorry for not responding, I promise you I did not get the email. I am very sorry for that I allowed you to get a room that was less than perfect. This is absolutely inexcusable at my hotel. Please call me so I can talk to you personally as I would really like to make sure this never happens again and address everyone involved that should have prevented this from happening. We pride ourselves in having the cleanest rooms around and when we do make a mistake, that we provide legendary customer service to rectify the problem. I am very disappointed and embarrassed for our actions. Please give me a call, my cell # is 352-316-6311. Thank you, Bruce

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Had a chance to stay at this location and the staff are wonderful. I was pleasantly suprised to see employees that enjoyed their positions and made guest feel like they were number one. I am also very happy with the location because it is so convienient to everything, but super quick!! TRUE Hospitality without paying HIGH PRICES!! Keep up the good work!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank HAMPTONUNIVPIRATE
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We usually stay at a different hotel in Gainesville but found this for about $30 less and with great reviews so thought we would give it a try. Friendly staff, clean hotel, good free breakfast -- will be staying here from now on.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kaci D
Reviewed 25 June 2014

hotel was convenient to I-75, clean, comfortable and quiet. WE ESPECIALLY LIKED THE FACT THERE WAS NO SMOKING AND NO PETS ALLOWED. the pool was small but we enjoyed it with our 6 yr. old grandson. the rooms were clean and spacious, the bed was very comfortable and clean. the breakfast area was a bit tight but functional and the breakfast was ok but not great. the staff was accommodating, we told them we liked it quiet so they put us in a room that was farthest from the interstate and the traffic noise, and it was very quiet. we would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family