“Learning Experience”

Florida Museum of Natural History
Ranked #2 of 67 things to do in Gainesville
More attraction details
Owner description: Native American and natural history exhibits in this museum at the University of Florida.
Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

The butterfly exhibit was both informative and beautiful. From the inside displays to the butterfly garden, this alone made the visit great. But the museum takes you through the early history of Florida, exploring both land and sea. A great visit to the UF campus for adults and children with lots of photo ops.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

In the 15 years we have lived in Gainesville we have been to this museum many times and in fact went to the old museum before this one was built.

The science and exhibits are first rate and there are some interesting surprises like the animatronic crabs in the birds of South Florida exhibit and the many discoveries to be made exploring the "cave". Both of these are great fun for kids (age 3 to 12) as long as they are not afraid of the dark (cave interior).

The main limitation is the size - if you are used to the Smithsonian, The Chicago Field Museum, or other large complexes then this museum will seem tiny in comparison.

The museum is free but donation are requested and appreciated.

The attached butterfly garden has an entry fee.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

I went with my wife to the museum and found it to be very interesting. They had a butterfly exhibit which was interesting. I have learned more about butterflies than I ever thought I would. They also had mammoth skeletons on display. I very much enjoyed learning about native Florida Indians. I was not aware of the relationship between indians and run-away black slaves.
I will definitely go back.

Reviewed 19 August 2013

There were some interesting exhibits, and the butterfly garden was lovely, but it was quite small. No real chance to get lost in it. Glad we went so we could see what they had, but not something we would do again...

1  Thank Sarah L
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Very interesting and fascinating museum. There aren't many places in the world that have a mammoth and mastadon skeletons side-by-side to compare, as well as a full megalodon jaw set, a 'walk-through-time' animal fossil exhibit, and other really cool features! It's completely free and donation-only, so I recommend throwing a few dollars in the donation bin if you really enjoyed it, because odds are, you will!