Hilton University of Florida Conference Center Gainesville
Ranked #9 of 47 Hotels in Gainesville
Reviewed 29 November 2013

If you can find another place to stay, do it. The door to my room had gapes that I could see & hear who & what was said in the hall. To access the pool & hot tub, one has to go thru the bar or dining area & if you are a lone woman, the hot tub is in a far corner surrounded by thick bushes. I encountered all but 2 people working there who were friendly & did not act like I was bothering them. Carpet in room did not look clean at all. I would not walk on it bare foot.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Suzette K
tom m, Manager at Hilton University of Florida Conference Center Gainesville, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2013

Dear Suzette K,
I want to thank you for your feedback from your stay. I am working with our engineering department to look at the options that we might have to address the gap at the bottom of the guest room door. We will look at the bushes around the Hot Tub and I do very much appreciate you giving us this feedback about the area.
I have shared your review with our teams and we are striving to improve the overall service that we provide. I am sorry about your experience and if your travels bring you to Gainesville again please let me know.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 November 2013

One of the nicest Hotels in Gainesville around 10 years ago when it was built, but has fallen into general disrepair. Literally smelled like sewage in the hall. Room was just as bad with damp musty floors. I had to keep my shoes on in the room. Shower had short brown curly hairs and a slimy feel. Broken phone, broken sink. But hey, there were lots of happy dog owners there, so come on down if you want to meet other people who don't care about cleanliness.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
tom m, Manager at Hilton University of Florida Conference Center Gainesville, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2013

Dear tripadvisor member,
I do very much appreciate the feedback about your stay. Please contact me directly at tmacdonald@hiltongainesvilleuf.com so that we may further discuss your experience. We do want to make sure we are addressing the issues you experienced and I need a bit more information about your stay.
I look forward to working with you.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

I was there for 3 days and 2 nights at a conference, which included a generous conference-rate discount, and meals provided by the organization. The room was large and comfortable, and the fitness center well-equipped and attractive. I appreciated all the outdoor tables and chairs outside meeting areas, especially with the gorgeous autumn weather.

The staff was friendly and helpful. The lobby business center was very convenient; with 4 computers, it was always possible to get one. USA Today was available daily at the elevator landings.

Usually hotels this large have some kind of café or Starbucks-type casual food spot, but the Hilton has only an actual restaurant, and there's nothing nearby. It was a 10-minute walk to the nearest shopping center when I skipped a conference meal, and all I found there was a supermarket for take-out. (I later learned there's a bagel shop hidden away.)

The Hilton is on-campus, so not especially convenient to non-university activities. It's very near the university's Harn Art Museum and Natural History Museum, both worth a visit. Before the conference, I had lunch at the Harn's Camellia Café, a short, pleasant walk from the hotel. I enjoyed a really low-key, moderately-priced meal at their outdoor terrace.

For a longer walk or jog, I was delighted to discover beautiful Lake Alice, about 3/4 mile from the hotel. Lots of aquatic birds are there -- I watched egrets, ibis, and herons -- but didn't spot any alligators, which are allegedly seen frequently. With a few picnic tables along the shore, it's a lovely spot for lunch (or a break from a meeting). All parking lot signs said a University sticker was needed. I didn't ask since I was on foot, but possibly the Hilton has a parking pass guests can use.

One odd feature in our room was the bathroom door, set up so that if you open it while at the sink {if the mirror is steamy after a shower, for instance}, it hits you in the back. My roommate thought that might be to comply with Florida handicapped requirements; I just found it weird.

If I was in Gainesville as a tourist, I don't know that this is an ideal choice if you don't need to be on campus. For a conference location, it was quite affordable and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
tom m, Manager at Hilton University of Florida Conference Center Gainesville, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2014

Dear Carly5,
Thank you for the great review of you stay with us. It was great to see such a detailed and great review about the hotel, the local area and the staff.
Thank you again and if your travels bring you back to Gainesville please let us know.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Nice location and grounds, the rooms are comfortable and quiet. The restaurant food is okay. Hilton doesn't offer free wi-fi in the room - which makes no sense since their other properties do. The staff is friendly and helpful, the parking is plentiful. Overall, it was a nice stay and I would stay there again, although not if there is a comparable choice that offers complementary wi-fi.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
tom m, Manager at Hilton University of Florida Conference Center Gainesville, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2013

Dear Paula R,
Thank you for the feedback from your stay. I am sorry about the Wi-Fi charge when it comes to the Wi-Fi we do follow the guidance of the brand and charge for it. I do know that there are other properties in town that don’t, however we do offer 10mgs both up and down to our guests.
If your travels do bring you back to Gainesville please let me know and I will be more than happy to address the Wi-Fi for you.

Reviewed 21 November 2013

The staff at the hotel has been incredibly helpful, friendly, and professional.

The thing that was most impressive was that the prices were not inflated for everyday items in the gift shop. So often hotels will charge outrageous prices for snacks, drinks, etc. just because they can. The restaurant offered a delicious lunch buffet (food, drink, dessert) for $15 and the prices for sandwiches on the menu were around $10. It was nice to be able to eat at the hotel without having to search for more economical options.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
tom m, Manager at Hilton University of Florida Conference Center Gainesville, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2013

Dear Sandy D,
Thank you for the nice comments about your recent stay with us. We do appreciate the comments about the staff and our hotel. I did pass along your comments to all the departments.
Please let us know next time your travels bring you to Gainesville again.

Warm Regards

Reviewed 20 November 2013

This Hilton is conveniently located, but is priced like a big city hotel, which it is not. It can be noisy thanks to students and revelers, and it is getting a little worn around the edges. I recommend it, but there are no comparable options. The Hampton Inn downtown is newer, but its pool is a joke and it is farther from campus, if that matters to you.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear Annmarie H,
Thank you for the feedback about your stay. I have shared your comments with our team and I am sorry about the noise you experienced during your stay with us.
If your travels do bring you back to Gainesville, please let me know.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

I think this hotel is out dated. I expect a Hilton to have certain standards and this feel well below. Carpet in my room was old and dirty. The bathroom was not clean, hair in the bathtub. The location to UF was good.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
tom m, Manager at Hilton University of Florida Conference Center Gainesville, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2014

Dear Cynthia L,
Thank you for the feedback about your stay. I am sorry about the issues you had with your room. We are looking at replacing some carpets this coming year in our guest rooms we are working with ownership on that currently. I had shared your comments about the restroom also with our housekeeping team so that there will be a bit more of a focus on it.
Thank you again for the feedback from your stay.