Hilton University of Florida Conference Center Gainesville
Ranked #11 of 44 Hotels in Gainesville
Tampa, Florida
“Nice place to stay”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Hilton continues to give great service every time we stay in there hotels. Front desk was fast,efficient and attentive. I do think the hotel itself could use some TLC and updating but than that, it's a nice place to stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
tom m, Manager at Hilton University of Florida Conference Center Gainesville, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear Moonwafer,
Thank you for the feedback from your recent stay with us. I will make sure that we do share your comments with our team. Once again thank you for the feedback and please let us know when your travels bring you back to Gainesville again.

Tom MacDonald

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Arabic first
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 13 July 2014

The front desk staff was friendly, check-in was smooth. We arrived the day before our UF tour with a list of questions, each inquiry was kindly and efficiently answered (re: the local area, where to eat, how to travel, etc.) Our room was located on the 6th floor facing the front, clean and quiet overnight. Our server at breakfast was incredibly sweet, as were the other servers and staff members walking the halls. One manager even showed my daughter the proper way to "chomp" GO GATORS!! while he kindly escorted us to our room...we locked ourselves out. The only reason for not giving a five star review - we did not have time for lunch/dinner on site or check out the pool area. This hotel met our needs, we will be back!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Cynthia W
Dear Cynthia W,
Thank you for the great feedback from your recent tour of UF. Thank you for taking the time to let us know how interactive our staff was with you and your daughter. Please make sure that you do take the time and come back and try the pool and enjoy a great meal by our food & beverage team. We look forward to seeing you again and once again thank you for the feedback.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

I don't think I've ever stayed in a hotel where the staff was so genuinely happy, friendly, and made an effort to really meet you.

I stayed here while I took my finals for a UF distance education masters program. They have a shuttle included that will get you to/from the airport and campus, which was great so that I didn't have to rent a car/worry about on-campus parking.

I got in Tuesday evening just before dinner hours ended, and the bartenders at 2-Bits (Vito, Shaun, Megan, and Gia) found out for me what I could eat gluten free and were all very welcoming and friendly! Breakfast and lunch at Alberts was great--Laurel and Darcy were really nice to talk to. Kane also made me an awesome broccoli and cheese omelette this morning (which you can get included with the bfast buffet).

And Waghi William, the Director of Food and Beverage, was always around the lobby/food areas. He said hi whenever he saw me, wished me luck and congratulations about my finals, and from what I observed, made an effort to talk to all the guests and get to know a little about them.

Overall, hotel was clean, neat, convenient, and everyone I met was really nice!

Chrissy

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Chrissy071114
Dear Chrissy071114,
Thank you for the great feedback about your recent stay with us. It was great to see so many names of our associates listed in your review. I will make sure that we do share your comments about them with them.
Once again thank you for the feedback and when your travels bring you back please let us know.

Cooper City, Florida
Reviewed 10 July 2014

My stay was in April, and I sent in a formal letter complaint on 4/8/14 and then a follow up email on 5/29/14. I still have yet to receive a response to either.

I was in town to visit my daughter and participate in Mother Daughter Weekend events for my daughter's sorority at University of Florida. I chose the Hilton especially because I wanted to feel safe and secure because I was traveling alone and felt that the Hilton University of Florida Conference Center would be by far the best choice because I had enjoyed my previous stays there with my family.

Ironically, I was sadly mistaken. On the morning of the 4th, I called the front desk because my room safe wouldn't open. The front desk was very nice and sent someone up to my room to fix the safe. The gentleman took a piece out, made a call and put the piece back in. About ten minutes after the safe was in working order and the handyman had left my room I placed items in the safe, locked my door and left to go to the lobby to meet my daughter for the day. I was gone all day. My daughter dropped my off at 1:00 AM and I went upstairs to my room. As I walked down the hall I saw that a one of the room doors was open and as I got closer with dread I saw it was my room. I quickly walked as fast as I could to the elevator and with my heart racing pressed the elevator button. I went to the front desk to report that my room door was opened and that I was very upset because I had locked it when I left that morning. The front desk person asked if anything was missing and I told him that I was scared, hadn't entered the room and that I didn't feel comfortable entering the room until someone checked the room and determine why my door was opened. He told me he was alone and couldn't leave the front desk. I took him at his word but there was no way that I was going to go to my room alone. He asked me if I wanted him to call security and I told him absolutely to please call. About ten minutes later a young girl appeared in a security uniform. I was very surprised and asked the man at the front desk if he was comfortable sending this young girl by herself to my room. She looked at me and I look at her and he told her to go check out my room and told me if anything was missing I could make a police report. I told him that I wanted him to make a new room card for me and that I wanted to know how this could have happened. He said that he would be able to find out who had entered my room last and let me know. The security person came back and said that she had turned on the lights in my room and that there was no one in the room. I checked my room and fortunately had locked anything of value in the safe. I did notice that the room was straightened up so housekeeping had to have been there. I was very upset and barely slept.

The very next morning I put the do not disturb sign on my door and went downstairs and asked for the manager. I was told that the General Manager wasn't in but that I could speak with the Director of Rooms, Mr. Thomas MacDonald. I explained to Mr. MacDonald that I felt that it was totally unacceptable that the door to my room was open. As a prior crime victim I am very vigilant regarding my safety and the safety of others. Mr. MacDonald apologized profusely and said that his thoughts were that it was probably housekeeping that had made the mistake and had left my door open which he said was against the rules of the hotel. After he promised that he would speak with housekeeping I left him and went into the gift shop because I wanted to get a gift for my younger daughter to bring home. I made my choice and asked to pay and was told that I needed to pay at the front desk. Mr. MacDonald told the front desk clerk that I could charge it to my room but she asked me for my credit card. I handed her my credit card and she grabbed a post-it note and starting writing my credit card number down. I stopped her immediately and asked her what she was doing and told her that she should never do that. Mr. McDonald stepped in and told her he would take care of it and he had told her that it could be charged to my room. Totally exasperated and annoyed I went back upstairs to see at least eight rooms left open. I went right back to the lobby and asked for Mr. MacDonald and told him that I suggest that he go to the second floor because anyone could go into at least eight rooms and help themselves to whatever they wanted, or worse, someone could go in the room and wait for a guest to return and rob them.

At that point I was so upset that I told him that I thought is wasn't fair to be charged for my room for the prior night especially because I couldn't sleep. He said he had taken care of it. The practice of having guests room doors open for one minute let alone all day is totally unacceptable and a security issue. Writing down a guest's credit card number is also a security risk to the guest and just a bad business practice. I hope you will address this with Hilton University of Florida Conference Center Gainesville. I hope for the future safety and protection of your guests you will see that these things do not happen to others.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Beth G
tom m, Manager at Hilton University of Florida Conference Center Gainesville, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Beth G,
We thank you for the feedback that you provided about your stay. We do take guest security very seriously. Beth G, we do reinforce our safety and security policies with our team members consistently. If there is anything further that I can assist you with please feel free to call me directly at 352.384.3416, or via email at tmacdonald@hiltongainesvilleuf.com.
I look forward to speaking with you.

Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

The front desk had a great staff. The lady that helped us was named Marlia Bagley and she was amazing!! She gave us some good deals. I've enjoyed my stay and would come back to this exact hotel whenever I'm in town. Thanks

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Jenise A,
Thank you for the great feedback from your recent stay. Thank you for taking the time to mention Marila and I will make sure that she get recognized for the "Great Service" she provided to you.
Once again thank you and please let us know when your travels bring you back to Gainesville.

Deerfield Beach, United States
Reviewed 7 July 2014

As always the Hilton continues to provide excellent service with smiles abound. I have been familiar with this hotel for about 6 years now, and have returned at least once a year to rendezvous with friends and family in the Gainesville area. Our collective positive experience brings us back every time. Centrally located, it is a prime choice for accessing downtown and the surrounding restaurants and shopping centers. The hotel itself has a wide range of activities and options, and we usually prefer relaxing by the pool and eating in the restaurant or lounge. We appreciate the staff's support and attentiveness, we highly recommend staying at the Hilton Conference Center at UF, for business or pleasure the staff always provides high quality service.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Wayne V
Dear Wayne V,
Thank you for the great comments from your recent stay with us. We very much appreciate your loyalty to the hotel during your trips to Gainesville. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Palm City, Florida
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Check in was a struggle. Hours earlier we called and were told our two adjoining rooms were available and ready. We ended up coming to the hotel later than expected as we were moving in our son at UF and there is always last minute running around! When we got to the hotel, first the clerk could only find one reservation for me. Then she found my other reservation but couldn't find two rooms adjoining. Then she did but one of the two rooms wasn't ready! Finally after ten minutes of checking her computer she found two adjoining rooms but we didn't know it at the time, we were on the dog floor. (Second floor for your information!). At midnight, the room next door had two small barking dogs going nuts because their owners had left them. Scratching at the door like mad. And bark, bark, bark for maybe an hour. They should never place you on the dog floor without your knowledge, don't you think? Management did a nice job by comping us for the night but really it was awful and we had to leave the next morning at 6 AM!

Room Tip: Avoid the second floor!