“It was okay.”

Comfort Inn University
Ranked #8 of 46 Hotels in Gainesville
Reviewed 7 September 2012

We were in Gainesville visiting a friend at Shand's just this week.

Our original plan was to stay at the Holiday Inn since it was so close and I have been there before, but we were talked into the Comfort Inn because of the price and its proximity to the interstate.

I looked it up on Tripadvisor and saw the #4 rating, and I was a tad disappointed.

Checking in was great, the desk clerk was a very nice guy and had a smile on his face the whole time. We stayed in room 319. When we got into the room, we were punched in the face with the smell of mildew from our room.

I immediately ran to the A/C to turn it on to hopefully eliminate a LITTLE of the smell. It didn't.

Went to our other friends room, and it was the same room-type, and was very very clean, no mildew smell whatsoever. Must have just been a mishap.

That was the only downside.

Smokers poles at every entrance, which was nice. Breakfast was small but not bad. Everything was pretty fresh. Steak n' Shake right up the road, along with a few gas stations, and of course I-75 which was great for us since we were leaving so early.

All-in-all, I wouldn't give this hotel the #4 rating it received on TA, but I would probably give it another chance. Good staff, decent facilities, decent breakfast, good location.

Stayed 9.5 - 9.6.

Room Tip: If you have the option, don't stay in room 319 because of the mildew smell. 324 smelled fine, th...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Michael H
There are newer reviews for Comfort Inn University

Reviewed 4 April 2012

This place is almost perfect. The rooms are generally clean and well-appointed, and they all come with a microwave and fridge. It's priced right in the middle. Awesome! Except, not so fast because the internet is... so.... slow. Their wi-fi routers don't have much range, and even when you're connected, sometimes pages will time out. Way too slow to Skype with my kids or stream movies via Netflix. The first time I thought it was just that room, but this is the second time I've had this problem in the past 6 months. The internet is so horrible, in fact, that I won't go back.

I've stayed at a number of hotels in Gainesville, as I work for the University but live out of state and have to come to town every month or so. I'm always looking for something in the mid-range that's affordable, clean, and convenient, and am almost always disappointed. It's harder to find than you'd think -- there are a lot of cheap hotels that are gross and nice hotels that are expensive, but that sweet spot in between is tough. So it's very frustrating that their internet is so crappy. After four years of trying places out, I thought I found THE ONE. Oh well.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank mbbatz
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Comfort Inn University, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2012

We are glad to hear you think "This place is almost perfect". We are working on the internet speed and hope it is fixed soon. Thank you for your nice review.

Reviewed 15 March 2012

I am usually very happy with the Comfort Inns I have stayed at. However, this one was a huge disappointment. Our room smelled like mildew. When I went to the the desk, the MOD, Jay Patel, told me that they were sold out. Then he proceeded to tell me that the smell was due to humidity and to turn on the AC. I guess he took me for a fool, since I live in humid Houston. The following morning, the desk clerk had the staff change the filter, which did not fix the problem. Most upsetting was that I was not offered a room change in the 4 days we stayed there, nor did the management check up on the status of the problem.
Don't waste your money on this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Melanie W
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Comfort Inn University, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2012

Thank you for taking the time to discuss the disappointment you experienced during your stay at our hotel last year. Your feedback is essential to our future success! Unwelcome problems can always arise, but our goal is to have them addressed promptly by staff

Reviewed 15 March 2012

We enjoyed our one night stay in this quiet hotel. We were in a room right next to the elevator and from previous experience in other hotels, this can be noisy. We never heard a thing, so being next to the elevator made our location very convenient. It is so quiet that when we went to the lobby we were surprised to see how much was going on. We were there for the Gator Nationals and it was fun to meet some of the team members who were staying there also. The added touch of cookies and hot chocolate was very welcome. The room was large, clean and the bathroom was huge. Although there were only two of us, a family of four would be very comfortable there. Two TV's make it nice for a family. Room comes with refrigerator and microwave also.
We have found a home away from home when we visit Gainesville.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TampaTraveler42

Thank you or your review and we at the Comfort Inn University are glad you liked "The added touch of cookies and hot chocolate". We hope to see you again soon,

Megan Eckdahl,

You and your team treat every customer with the greatest respect and are always very happy, must be a great environment to work in. I would like you to know one of the reasons I return to your hotel is because of Andrew what an asset you have in this young man I’ve seen him in action and he is the type of person any business would like to have working with them, he represents the Choice Hotels proudly.

Thanks for making my stay away from home comfortable!

Florida Air Conditioning Distributors
G.M. Parts & Supply
Dexter

Room Tip: I travel approximately 70,000 miles a year in the state of Florida we have many options for hotels I...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Benton G

 Our associates pride themselves on providing excellent guest service here at the Comfort Inn University and will be pleased to hear they exceeded your expectations! Your review will certainly be shared with them. Thank you.

Reviewed 2 March 2012

Breakfast and cookies are why most people like this place,but I liked that the nice young man told me to take room away from the road for a quieter stay. Friendly Floridians also helped us find lighted tennis courts and the Butterfly Rainforest. The Harn Art Museum was neat surprise, a small place with some surprising famous artists well displayed. Good beds and shower, plenty of parking in the rear, lots of restaurants in the area. Safe neighborhood for joggers.

Room Tip: Take a room away from the highway for quietest sleep.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TrekkerSue
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Comfort Inn University, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2012

We are happy to hear that 'Friendly young staff make this hotel even better' for you. Thank you for you nice review.

Reviewed 27 February 2012

Rooms looked updated and have flat screen TV. Judging by the parking lot, the hotel seemed pretty full, but I never heard noise from adjacent rooms or the hallway, it was a quiet night, except our room faced the I-75 side, so there is highway noise, so if you are sensitive to this, get a room on the other side of the building ( the even numbered ones).

The included breakfast was pretty good-- hot items (make your own waffle,scrambled eggs, sausage patties, and sausage gravy and biscuits) along with the usual cold items (cereal, breads, yogurt, fruit).

A good Gainesville choice

Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Comfort Inn University, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2012

 We are pleased to hear you enjoyed the breakfast during your stay with us. Please return often!