“Great in many ways but...”

Comfort Inn University
Ranked #9 of 44 Hotels in Gainesville
Ohio
“Great in many ways but...”
Reviewed 24 April 2007

I stayed at the Comfort Inn in Gainesville to attend my son's wedding in Bronson Florida. I chose it for the location and the amenities. Especially the highspeed internet connection. As the wedding was last minute due to military deployment, etc., I would need to work from my room while I was there. I arrived on Thursday and the hotel's server was down from late Thursday until Saturday late afternoon. When I inquired about checking out so that I could go elsewhere, I was told no refund would be given. Nice stay otherwise. Clean rooms, decent breakfast(more fruit, yogurt, etc. would be nice) the coffee in the lobby was a nice touch and the location is near shopping, restaurants and I-295.

• Liked — Convenient location
  • Disliked — Internet down too long
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank lasigler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Sun City, Arizona
Reviewed 16 August 2006

Hotel was newer, close to freeway, quiet and clean. I was lucky to get a Jacuzzi suite which has a separate bedroom so I had a lot of space but it was wasted since I was traveling alone. (I never tried the Jacuzzi.) The internet access, however, was not the best, having a weak signal the entire evening but there were a lot of cable channels to choose from. The room had a kitchenette with a microwave, fridge and sink. My room faced the front of the building away from the freeway so it was very quiet. There are no restaurants within walking distance but there is a Texas Roadhouse that you can get to by cutting through the Target parking lot and avoiding the busy road that accesses the freeway. Breakfast was typical and included make your own waffles.

• Disliked — Poor internet
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Lady_Road_Warrior
West Palm Beach
Reviewed 3 June 2006

We stayed at the Comfort Inn West hotel in Gainesville Memorial Day weekend because it was one of the few Gainesville hotels that is pet-friendly and wasn't completely booked due to some religious convention. The reviews on trip advisor suggested the hotel would be about average and that is exactly what it is.

The good:
-Large, clean rooms
-Comfortable beds
-Microwave, fridge and tv with full cable in room
-One very helpful concierge who rushed to get us an air purifier and put carpet fresh on the rug (we were relegated to a smoking room b/c of our cat, and we are non-smokers).

The bad:
-Key to get in room was very finicky and we usually had to try 4 or 5 times to enter the room
-Complete inability to access the front desk or housecleaning or wake-up call from the in-room phone (we tried to reach these various places about 5 separate times and the line was ALWAYS busy.
- Disgusting smell of smoke in smoking/pet room (the purifier helped but it was pretty pungent)

The average:
- There is a breakfast buffet, but the food is medicore and the assortment is not very appealing. I ate 1/4 of a plain waffle and 2 bites of a nasty apple. However, it was fun to cook my belgium waffle.

While it wasn't the Ritz, it was ok value for the money and we would stay there again if necessary. However, hopefully our cat won't tag along next time and we will stay at the Hilton.

• Stayed May 2006
6 Thank FlyersKitty
Reviewed 1 June 2005

This is the second time my husband and I stayed here, and we again found it very good. It is rated as a Silver Award hotel by Choice Hotels, which means they have considered one of their better properties for several years in a row. Check-in went smoothly, our room was large and very clean, and breakfast was very good with fresh home-made waffles as well as all of the other standard breakfast items. The location, just off I-75, is excellent for business travelers, leisure travelers, and those just traveling through Gainesville. There is a wide variety of restaurants and shopping with 1/2 mile of the hotel. Although newer hotels are under construction in the area, this is still the newest hotel. We definitely would stay here again and do not hesitate to recommend it to others.

Note: A $1.00 charge for the safe in the room will be added to the bill at check-in, but will be credited back at check-out if you request it.

• Stayed April 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
nwlou
Reviewed 26 April 2005

My family stayed at this hotel while visiting relatives in the area. It is a newer property and I felt that it gave us a good value for our money

Nice rooms and comfortable beds. Staff is nice and helpful. Pool area is nice but small and a little noisy because of the highway near by.

• Stayed August 2004
1 Thank nwlou
Reviewed 13 August 2004

I am not picky when it comes to hotels. As long as the room is clean and comfortable, I am happy. Unfortunately, I can’t say that about the Comfort Inn West. The only good thing I can say about the hotel is the excellent rate we got on our room. We got a two bedroom Jacuzzi suite for $89 a night.

Now the bad part, the room smelled awful. It had this old musty smell. The only thing you could do on the phone was call the Front Desk. I decided to take a bath in the Jacuzzi. I noticed after I filled it up that there was this blue chemical color in the water. It even smelt like the chemical they clean the counters with. There was even this crust that appeared on the outside of the tub. Evidently, they cleaned the tub but failed to rinse it.

The Front Desk was not very helpful; they were talking with co workers and never seemed to pay much attention to us when we were checking in/out. My friend slept in the bedroom with the King Size bed while I slept on the pull out sofa. The pull out sofa looked big but was very small. I am 5 ‘7 and my feet hung off the bed.

The only good part about the Comfort Inn was the breakfast. It had fresh waffles that you could make. It had a waffle iron and pre portioned batter. They had bread, cereal, and other items. Not to bad for a free breakfast. The hotel was located directly off 75. I faced towards the front of the hotel which does not face towards the highway. But, I did have friends who faced the highway and they said it was quite noisy.

To wrap things up, the Comfort Inn is ok to stay one night. They do have good rates. But as the saying goes, you get what you pay for!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 16 September 2003

Comfort Inn West is an awesome hotel! Our first night in Gainesville, we opted for the ::cheaper:: competition. However, we were thoroughly disappointed. The next night, we decided to try our luck next door.
This hotel was a polar opposite to its neighbor. It was clean, new, and all of the amenities were included. The rooms were great and we got an excellent night's sleep. The staff was friendly and courteous, the pool was warm, and the free continental breakfast that we received was outstanding. There wasn't even a real price difference once you figure in the additional cost for breakfast versus the continental breakfast at Comfort. I would recommend this hotel above all others.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member