“DO NOT GO TO THIS HOTEL!”

Holiday Inn Express Gainesville/I-75 SW
Ranked #21 of 47 Hotels in Gainesville
Reviewed 26 June 2014

It started with the reservation, which took well over 30 minutes to make. Pretty simple- four rooms for three nights, one room for one night. One king bed, four with two doubles. One dog. First it was booked in the wrong month, then booked with no king and apparently in the wrong rooms for a pet. Not their fault despite the fact that I did have an email confirmation. Then endless frustration. Nothing could be done. VERY rude staff. Not concerned with the guest, only their rules. Told I could stay elsewhere. Reservation was "just human error". NO effort to make accommodations. The Lodge in Gainesville & Homewood Suites both at this exit are wonderful. Stay there.... Stay anywhere but here!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Mark M
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Gainesville/I-75 SW, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Mark M,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. It is disappointing to hear about your experience at our hotel. I would like to address your concerns in further details and have sent you a private message to obtain more information regarding your stay.

Charisse V
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Gainesville, Florida, does not have a lot of choices when it comes to hotels. If you are passing through or in town for the weekend, book this hotel. The hotel is clean; the rooms are clean and appear to be renovated; the hotel feels safe; and the beds are comfortable.

The hotel provides an "okay" breakfast with the stay. When I was there it was full of little league baseball kids. The standard breakfast in a hotel of this pedigree is offered: cereal, bagels, muffins, rubbery omelets, weak coffee, etc. Nothing to write home about but the kids seemed to like the selection as they certainly "chowed-down".

The workout room is pitiful. The pool is nice. The setting is NOT scenic (I-75 is right outside on the backside).

Despite all of that, when looking around at my options, this one turned out to be best (I walked out of one hotel that I had reserved because it stank was dark and did not feel safe). In contrast, this hotel is relatively inexpensive, safe, parking is free, and the whole place is clean.

Gainesville options are few and far between. Stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the front side of the hotel so that you are sure not to hear I-75. If you have tr...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Upon checking in the clerk made the comment that he saw that we made the reservation through Travelocity. Upon reviewing my credit card statement I also noticed the hotel also charged me for the same night. Maybe a mistake or maybe not. Called the manager and he has said that he corrected it. Wonder if this has happened to other people. At least the hotel bill was less than Travelocity. I have contacted Travelocity as to why they are higher and they want my long lost 10 digit trip number.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank terry n
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Gainesville/I-75 SW, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Dear terry n,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you had some issues with your reservation. I have sent you a private message in order to obtain more information about your stay. We hope to hear from you soon and be of further assistance.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel on our way home from Disney World. We were pleased with the property. The room was fine, although there was no mini-fridge in the room and the space for hanging clothes was limited. This would affect a longer stay, but didn't affect our overnight stay.
Breakfast was really good compared to others we've had at hotels (even other HI Expresses). We got the room for $85 with a coupon from one of those travel booklets. We'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Great hotel. Very friendly staff--front desk, breakfast server, housekeeping, etc. The person stocking the breakfast bar made the grandkids feel special. Very comfortable rooms. Location is a bit hard to find--at least going northbound--or we simply missed the signs! It sits behind another hotel and we did not see the hotel or signage from the off-ramp.

Room Tip: Great place to stay!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank DGAT1989
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I stayed here on a recent business trip for two nights. The hotel was everything you expect from a HIE and I stay at a lot of them.

Some pros: This hotel is very close to I-75 and the university, yet manages to be at the end of a quiet cul-de-sac. It's nicely decorated both outside and inside and there is plenty of parking. The staff are professional, courteous, friendly and all genuinely seem to like their jobs. Beds are newer and comfy, I had no trouble getting a good night's sleep. Rooms are quiet with little sound leakage from the nearby interstate or adjacent rooms.

A few cons: The breakfast wasn't quite up to par. The eggs and sausages were dry and the biscuits were so hard I could have used them under a tire to keep my car from rolling downhill. The coffee was hot and fresh however, and most of the rest of the breakfast was passable.

A final con, the main road (Archer, FL 24) is EXTREMELY busy in the mornings. I found that just exiting the road that the hotel is on at 7:30am took almost 20 minutes on both mornings. This is not the hotel's fault, but if you're here on a business trip or on a tight schedule, allow yourself some extra time or make your departure time earlier or later if you can.

The next time I stay in town I will stay at this property again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank copperdragon66
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed there driving down to southern Florida, when hotel we planned to stay was sold out for the night. Modern, clean hotel located right off I-75with courteous staff.- and they have a military rate for active duty and retirees. It will be our first option in future when we stop in Gainesville.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple