“What a dump! Very disappointed.”

Holiday Inn Express Gainesville/I-75 SW
Ranked #22 of 44 Hotels in Gainesville
Southwest Gulf Coast, Florida
“What a dump! Very disappointed.”
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

After driving for 18 hours, we finally stopped. Can't go wrong with a holiday inn express right? WRONG! Room smelled, comforter was stained with who knows what. Fixtures broken, dirt caked on everything. Didn't even stay for breakfast! We ran out!

Stayed July 2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Gainesville/I-75 SW, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear IceTank,

Ben J
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Woodstock, Georgia
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We arrived tired from a seven hour trip from South Florida in a 16 foot box truck. The desk person was welcoming and pleasant. The room was more that adequate with a king sized bed, refrigerator and coffee maker. The bed was very comfortable as has been the case for most Holiday Inn Express facilities we have stayed in lately. Next morning, the free breakfast was very good and gave us a good start for the next seven hour leg of our box truck odyssey.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I made a costly mistake of booking a room at this location. When I cancelled reaervations, I was told that days are required for special event weekends. When booked room, was never made aware of this. In addition, I never heard of any such policy.

Since this is a big college town most weekends are special events.

Managment is rude, unprofessional and not prperly trained in customer service. Only concered about rules and made no offers to make a customer happy.
DO NOT STAY HERE

• Stayed June 2014
TammieVaughn, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Gainesville/I-75 SW, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
When booking your rooms online the system provides you with a cancel by date to avoid penalties. I do apologize that you still feel like we did something wrong, regarding your reservations, when they are booked online the cancel by date shows on your confirmation that you can print or save to your computer for future review.

Travellers are raving about these Gainesville hotels

Fort Bragg, NC
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We recently stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. It was an ok stay overall. The location is good, close to the university, right off I-75. Our room had a fridge and a microwave, but not all of the rooms do. The breakfast was good, the staff was friendly, and in general the hotel was clean. When staying for 4 nights, you start to notice things that could use attention. First, the pool area lacked clean towels every time we used the pool. The towels were also the size of hand towels, which makes drying off a challenge, and it also encourages people to take 2-3 towels each, hence they're always running out of towels. Second, the housekeeping was satisfactory, except that one of the days our trash didn't get emptied, and by the last day we had about 3 squares of toilet paper left. I would definitely stay here again. The room rate was good, and it was close to everything we needed.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Clermont, Florida
Reviewed 26 June 2014

It started with the reservation, which took well over 30 minutes to make. Pretty simple- four rooms for three nights, one room for one night. One king bed, four with two doubles. One dog. First it was booked in the wrong month, then booked with no king and apparently in the wrong rooms for a pet. Not their fault despite the fact that I did have an email confirmation. Then endless frustration. Nothing could be done. VERY rude staff. Not concerned with the guest, only their rules. Told I could stay elsewhere. Reservation was "just human error". NO effort to make accommodations. The Lodge in Gainesville & Homewood Suites both at this exit are wonderful. Stay there.... Stay anywhere but here!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mark M
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Gainesville/I-75 SW, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Mark M,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. It is disappointing to hear about your experience at our hotel. I would like to address your concerns in further details and have sent you a private message to obtain more information regarding your stay.

Charisse V
Delray Beach, Florida
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Gainesville, Florida, does not have a lot of choices when it comes to hotels. If you are passing through or in town for the weekend, book this hotel. The hotel is clean; the rooms are clean and appear to be renovated; the hotel feels safe; and the beds are comfortable.

The hotel provides an "okay" breakfast with the stay. When I was there it was full of little league baseball kids. The standard breakfast in a hotel of this pedigree is offered: cereal, bagels, muffins, rubbery omelets, weak coffee, etc. Nothing to write home about but the kids seemed to like the selection as they certainly "chowed-down".

The workout room is pitiful. The pool is nice. The setting is NOT scenic (I-75 is right outside on the backside).

Despite all of that, when looking around at my options, this one turned out to be best (I walked out of one hotel that I had reserved because it stank was dark and did not feel safe). In contrast, this hotel is relatively inexpensive, safe, parking is free, and the whole place is clean.

Gainesville options are few and far between. Stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the front side of the hotel so that you are sure not to hear I-75. If you have tr...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Upon checking in the clerk made the comment that he saw that we made the reservation through Travelocity. Upon reviewing my credit card statement I also noticed the hotel also charged me for the same night. Maybe a mistake or maybe not. Called the manager and he has said that he corrected it. Wonder if this has happened to other people. At least the hotel bill was less than Travelocity. I have contacted Travelocity as to why they are higher and they want my long lost 10 digit trip number.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank terry n
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Gainesville/I-75 SW, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Dear terry n,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you had some issues with your reservation. I have sent you a private message in order to obtain more information about your stay. We hope to hear from you soon and be of further assistance.

Kind Regards,