“Would Not Let My Dog Stay Here” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Americas Best Value Inn

Americas Best Value Inn
Ranked #27 of 45 Hotels in Gainesville
Atlanta, GA
“Would Not Let My Dog Stay Here”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2008

I booked two rooms for two nights for a Florida Gators football weekend. Paid in advance through Orbitz, which I will never do again.

I did not expect the Ritz, but did expect a safe, clean property. I knew that we were in trouble when the desk clerk checked out the TV remotes to make sure she got them back when we checked out.

The property is very shabby on the outside with scary clientele walking the parking lot, and the rooms were worse. They both stunk of cigarettes and stale beer and god knows what other kinds of fluids. The sheets were threadbare and had hair on them. This is the first time I have ever been to a hotel where the soap and shampoo is in a dispenser bolted to the walls. There were dead insects on one of the windowsills. We turned back in the remotes and told the desk clerk to cancel our reservation.

Thank goodness we found another hotel that had a late cancellation. I called Orbitz the following Monday to request a refund for for the prepaid reservation at ABVI. Orbitz really could not care less and basically said it was up to the hotel to agree to a refund. They got someone on the phone from the hotel who said that I would need to speak with the manager and that he would be in the following morning.

I called back as requested the next morning and then the story changed. The manager was now "out of the country" and would not be available to discuss my issue for about two weeks. The clerk did promise to credit me for one-half of the total reservation, and said I could speak to the manager upon his return about a full refund. I sent a confirming letter to her to this effect and copied ABVI Customer Service in Coral Springs, FL.

Surprise, surprise, I did not receive even a partial refund. So, I disputed the Orbitz charge with American Express and after several weeks AmEx reversed the charge for the whole amount (Thank you, AmEx!!). According to AmEx, Orbitz did not submit any information in response to my dispute.

I would have forgotten about the whole sorry episode had that been the end of it. But today, I received a notice in the mail from a collection agency seeking to collect about half of the total reservation. I will never book anything again through Orbitz and would rather sleep in my car than stay at America's Best Value Inn the next time I am in Gainesville, FL.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
5 Thank Gatorator

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2008

This motel is a very good value for your money. It has a microwave and fridge in the rooms, it is clean and comfortable, and the pool is sparkling clean. It is an older motel, but is very clean and the rooms are well appointed. There is a clerk on duty at the desk 24/7. This motel is very conscientious of the needs of visitors, as many visitors are there for the nearby hospitals.

• Liked — Friendly Staff, Clean Room
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank NowVoyagerFlorida
Boynton Beach, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2008

As we drove up to this motel, I already had regrets. The property is shabby, and most of the clientelle as well.

Happily, the young man that checked us in was helpful and pleasant. I wish I could say the same about the character that scammed us upon checkout the next day. More on that later.

The room was dank and musty. Dead bugs from the Plistocene era were preserved in the windows sills.

The previous guest, and maid had, however, thoughtfully collaborated to leave us some food - crumbs of pizza crust or something on top of the bed linens.

During the night, there were strange activities in the room next to us, and in the parking lot - people meeting at three in the morning, a car stereo blaring, a motorcycle revving its engine for five minutes or so, etc.

We decided to check out a day earlier than planned. "Steve," the "other" clerk I referred to above, dawdled over the bill for about five minutes. I thought he might need help, so I asked him if there was a problem. He said, well, you reserved for two days, so we have to charge you for two days.

My tale of the goings-on the night before didn't faze him. On the contrary, Steve deftly turned it back on me, suggesting I was at fault for not reporting the problems. He was good, oh, he was good. Practice makes perfect comes to mind.

The "discussion" got heated, so before the situation got further out of hand, and since they already had my credit card information, I told him to do what he had to do. That of course, was to bill me for the two nights. I signed the voucher, and wrote "Under protest" above my signature, which I had altered from my normal John Hancock. Not that that will make any difference.

Before I left the property, I called the local gendarmerie to ask them if they could be of help. Officer Weaver was sympathetic, but said it was a civil matter into which, by law, they could not intervene. When he told me he didn't even know the place, I told him he and his fellow officers should get familiar with it, and pronto. The parking lot of the place at 3 A.M. was like a flea market of low-lifes. I am sure the Gainesville P.D. would find it happy hunting grounds.

Five days later, after having called and written America's Best Value corporate office, I have not hear from them.

Sorry for the length of this review, but in forty years of travel on business and pleasure, in the U.S. and abroad, this is beyond a doubt the worst experience I have had with a hotel.

So, unless you are a creature of the night wanting to get in on the action of the creepy side of Gainesville, stay away from this place!! Alfred Hitchcock couldn't have imagined a scarier motel and motel clerk.

Enter at your own risk to life and limb, and money!

• Liked — Leaving it
  • Disliked — Scary and noisy goings-on and the innkeeper from hell who scammed us
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank BigBen1984

Travellers are raving about these Gainesville hotels