“Good food.”
Review of Pollo Tropical

Pollo Tropical
Ranked #135 of 590 Restaurants in Gainesville
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

We love Pollo Tropical. The tropibowls are great. The staff is very friendly and go out of their way to help.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

As a kid, we would eat at Pollo Tropical often enough in Miami and they always seemed to have a pretty good standard of quality. Unfortunately, this one doesn't seem to have that. The cashier was pretty friendly, but the service was super slow, especially considering that we were the only ones in line. The rest of the staff behind the counter looked like they were all in pretty bad moods.

I had the 1/2 chicken which was pretty good. It tasted like I remember, but was super greasy and fatty. My fiance had the quesadilla wrap and found it to be decent but smaller than what he was expecting. We both had fries wand you could tell they'd been cooked a while ago. The grease has soaked through them and they had a tough, chewy texture and the portions were very disappointing with there being only a small handful.

I may come back again to see if this was just a very off day but it will be a while.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Love their chicken... Tangy pineapple chicken salad is very good, rice and beans are good and the cilantro cream from the topping bar is delicious! Pass on the desserts, not that good!

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Pollo Tropical in Gainesville is a decent restaurant. The staff is very friendly and they work hard to get you through the line quickly.

The chicken is good, but the rice is crunchy and lacks much flavor. I always mix the salsa in with my rice to give it some kick.

My only complaints were that the soda machine needs to be disassembled and cleaned-some slime came shooting out of the coke nozzle into my kid's drink, and one of the male employees went to the bathroom and didn't wash his hands when he was done. Luckily, we had our food already!

Reviewed 15 April 2014

We have eaten at Pollo Tropical in Orlando and have always had great food. We ate at this Pollo Tropical and the chicken was very small; almost no meat and the skin was not well toasted. The rice tasted like it had been made the day before. We noticed that maduros, which used to be considered a side, has now been taken off that side menu and you can order it appetizer style. They did add tostones, which were good as were the maduros. We will not be eating at this restaurant again. We may try going to the ones in Orlando and see if they are still the same as they were.