“My husband's favorite place”

Carrabba's Italian Grill
Ranked #146 of 570 Restaurants in Gainesville
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Reservations
Melrose, Florida
“My husband's favorite place”
Reviewed 28 March 2013

My daughter in law had a birthday and this was her pick and my husband couldn't have been more happy. The chef visited with me when I was ordering to advise me on gluten free items which was only the second time in many restaurants that I'd had that honor. Everything is delicious and eating outside is a pleasant experience also. Because much of the menu is not gluten free, we have cut back on the number of times we have visited but it remains on the list of highly recommended.

Visited May 2012

Chicago, Illinois
“Solid italian”
Reviewed 8 March 2013

Very consistent presentation. Food is fresh and tastes good. Salad plates are chilled which is nice. House salad is has great taste. The grilled chicken dinner is very good. Service is attentive and nice surroundings in the dining room or the bar area.

Visited February 2013
Gainesville, Florida
“Best Italian in town”
Reviewed 6 March 2013 via mobile

Muy husband and I went here for our anniversary and the food was great. Large portions, and great wine compliment every dish. The Sangria was my favorite.

Gainesville, Florida
“Meh, but not bad for a chain”
Reviewed 2 March 2013

Chain restaurants are not our usual fare but here was something about the "Italian Grill" in the Carrabba title that sounded appealing. So, when my wife said she had a $10 discount coupon for Carrabba's on an evening where we were heading out, I went along.

On a Thursday night, the parking lot was packed at 6pm and we had to wait to be seated. Not long, but we had to wait. At Carrabba's. On a Thursday.

After sitting, our waiter promptly greeted us, introduced himself, left us with the menus and ran off to return with our drinks. Warm bread in a basket arrived a few minutes later. Our water, Josh, poured some herbed olive oil on to a plate for the bread. The bread was good and the olive oil tasty.

We ordered the crab cake appetizer and for main courses, lobster ravioli and rib eye steak (cooked rare) with the side salad. The salad was a plate of leafy greens, a few tiny olives and was slathered in the dressing of our choice (balsamic). A few tomato chunks and less slathering would have been nice.

The crab cakes were hockey-puck sized, looked freshly made and were served with a peppery sauce. The cakes were made of fresh meat, too heavily seasoned and almost overpowered by the sauce.

The lobster raviolis were artfully arranged on the plate with a light covering of a creamy sauce. The saltiness of the dish nearly overpowered the bits of lobster in the raviolis. I'd prefer they charge $2 more and use a little extra lobster.

The rib eye was served medium rare, not rare, and could have been better trimmed. It was still tasty and paired nicely with the Coppola Claret. The garlic potatoes were only fair: short on flavor, short on garlic and left mostly uneaten.

Overall, the meal was pleasant and, all things considered, pricey. One appetizer, two entrees, two glasses of wine for $75? Chuy's or Mexico Lindo would have been 30-40% of that and vastly more satisfying.

OTOH, the bread was pretty good. And, again OTOH, the restaurant was packed with people who appeared to be enjoying themselves. Maybe you'll be one of them, too.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank doctorbobster
Micanopy, Florida
“Pasta Principal”
Reviewed 2 February 2013

I always dine at this establishment beause they present the famous Cozze de Bianco in a garlic ghee wine sauce that is the best out of the kitchen's of G-ville. I start with the best little salad en la casa: fresh hand torn leaves of baby butter lettuces, shaved flecks of parmasean and a bit of tarragon with skinny thins of carrots and a creamy dressing to salivate over sprinkled with the same calamata sotted oilves that my Middle Eastern mother served at our Lebanese table as a child. The Prince Edward Island muscles are to sip and slop over-- and I mean that literally, the cocktail fork might help you dig them from their silvery crescent shaped beds and give your table partner the feeling that you have the dining manners of a princess, but there adds a certain devout right to finger pick these succlent morsels from their fresh silvery seabeds and suck them down as if you were eating in a Roman orgy of epicurean squalor. I always have the white wine from Chile to pair my meal, and of course I'd be remiss to not mention a certain waiter, William, who makes my episodes of a refined palette most memorable.

• Visited January 2013