“You CAN go home again”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Deb & I had Friday night date night here, and it was nostalgic because my mom & step-dad took me here in '73-4. The place is still wonderful, the proprietor and staff exude hospitality, and the food SINGS! Got a special somebody?

1  Thank Shannon B

Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

Went here for lunch and it was delicious. Had the chicken salad salad and others had quiche and soup. All yummy and great prices. Delicious homemade dressings.
Service was great and everyone friendly.
Enjoyed it so much, we went back again next day.
As for purchasing wine by the bottle, prices were expensive.

1  Thank clfrazier
Reviewed 20 March 2014

This place has been around for eons.
Very Gainesville vibe- almost totally lost in the 1980's and 90's.
food service had really picked up in the last 5 years. we only go for lunch & try to sit outside on the patio. Very laid back place but never a very long wait. Lunch presentation has also improved.
Great salad & sandwiches. great beer & wine selection.
You do have to go to the register inside to pay, but lots to look at in wines & gourmet food items.
Parking can sometimes be a problem.

1  Thank Jules G
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Wine and Cheese IS Gainesville for us. Actually, we found it when we were looking at places to retire, and checking out Gainesville. We figured if they had restaurants like Wine and Cheese, we could be happy here. We have been coming back to eat ever since. The food is outstanding, the wine collections jaw-dropping, and the owners both knowledgeable and friendly. The only problem is that it is downtown, and we don't like to go downtown anymore, so we do not get there as often as we would like. Shame on us, because this is a good place to eat, particularly outside on a nice day.

1  Thank George E
Reviewed 25 October 2013

My husband and I participating in a dinner organized by his department. Although we have bought wine and cheese for years there and had some very nice lunches, the restaurant is really not ready for dinners.
For a flat price of $45.00 per person they served us a small tray of cheeses a few slices of sausages and a few slices of fruit. before the entrees. Some tables (with the same amount of guests) got two trays and when we asked to give the same servings to everyone, we were told that the cooks needed to prepare the entrees and had no time to plate more cheese.
The guests had three choices ( ordered days before): chicken, salmon or ribs.
The first guest served at our table got the salmon: a few flakes of salmon served on a mound of lukewarm rice on a cold plate.
The guest next to me had taken the chicken with a mango salsa. He let me try it and we had a very tough chicken with a very mediocre salsa,
My husband and I had the ribs. We could not eat them....they were so dry that our knives could not cut through them. This was served with canned corn and very salty what should have been sauteed potatoes. The choice of wine was good.
The Wine and Cheese Gallery should realize that there is a big difference between serving wine , cheese and lunches and prepare dinner for a crowd. Before they learn that, I will never recommend the place.