“Good hotel in Gainsville”

Homewood Suites Gainesville
Ranked #14 of 47 Hotels in Gainesville
Reviewed 31 December 2009

Stayed here one night in a 1 bedroom suite. Took the advice of this forum and got a top floor room. No issues with noise, though we could hear people next door in the morning when out TV was off. Hotel has a light dinner in the evening with complementary beer and wine. A decent breakfast in the morning with hot and cold items. We didn't use it but there was a nice pool area with hot tub and basketball court. This hotel is on the edge of town near I75. Very easy to get to and just a 5 minute drive to UF. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank PCBeach
Dustin C, Manager at Homewood Suites Gainesville, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2015

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your most recent stay at the Homewood Suites by Hilton Gainesville FL property. We love getting feedback from our guest and use it to improve our service and amenities. We hope the next time you visit Gainesville, FL we will be your first choice and if there is anything we can do to better your next stay, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Reviewed 9 September 2009

My wife and I recently had the pleasure of staying at the Homewood Suites in Gainesville for 3 nights while she was in town on a course (Medisca). The close proximity to both the University and to the highway made this location an easy choice. This hotel is very close to a small mall with a number of stores (ie; Target, Old Navy) and a supermarket as well as a wide range of restaurants.

After reading other reviews here on Tripadvisor about the possibility of noise, we called ahead in the morning we were due to arrive and requested a room on the top floor. The representative who answered the phone was more than happy to make the accommodation for us.

Let me begin by saying that the staff at this hotel could not be friendlier. From the front desk to the cleaning staff, everyone we encountered was quick to say hello or to ask how our stay was. They were genuine and attentive, two qualities that are unfortunately rare in the service sector these days. Based on our experience with the staff alone, we would return to this hotel.

The room itself was a decent size with a king-sized bed, full kitchenette and living room. The room was well-appointed, up-to-date, clean and very cozy. When it came to noise levels, we only heard things a few times. Unfortunately, the first night it was an "amorous" couple in the room next door.. but the love birds vacated the nest after the first night. The other instance was with a guy who decided to make use of the basketball court directly below our window at 12:30AM. For the latter, a quick call to the front desk nipped the problem in the bud. Other than this, we didn't hear a peep.

Breakfast was great, with a selection of cold cereals, bread/bagels, waffles, eggs, sausage/bacon, omelets.. etc; etc; etc;. Food was replenished fast, and there was more than ample seating for everyone. The breakfast staff was extremely friendly, and the food was decent.

The pool which, along with the basketball court, was in an open courtyard which the hotel itself surrounded. I never found the pool to be crowded at all, and spent a good amount of time sitting outside reading a book. The pool and surrounding area was meticulously cleaned and there was an ample supply of towels available in the pool area.

I would stay again at the Homewood Suites Gainesville in a heartbeat. When it came time to pack up our bags and leave, we were actually sad to go!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank ChrisC1

Reviewed 5 August 2009

I'm a Hilton's Honor Gold member and book Hilton hotels everywhere I go (business or leisure). I usually prefer the Homewood brand as it's like a home away from home.
On this occasion, I booked 3 rooms for family members for a wedding. The night before, I requested an early check-in (1pm) for at least one room so we can put our bags in relax, etc. before the wedding shower. They said it's not guaranteed but will do their best.

Well, of course when we arrived at 1pm, they could not accommodate my request. We waited in the lobby for an hour before we could get 1 room...2 hours for the next and finally at 3:45, got the 3rd room. I was very disappointed.

I learned that rooms were available (1 Bedroom Suites) but they could not help me out because we paid for Studio Suites. What's my Gold status for? I have been a very loyal member to Hilton for many years and they could not help me out on this occasion?

Enough of my venting...now the facts:
- This hotel was clean and well-maintained.
- The front desk staff was not rude but not overly-friendly.
- The walls are very thin (You can hear people walking down the hall. You can hear doors slam as they're being shut. They need to be spring-loaded or something. Constant SLAM after SLAM after SLAM.)
- Ceilings are paper thin. (Heard every step from the room above, unless obviously, you are on the top floor.)
- The breakfast was limited to a few items. (* They did have waffles though, a plus!)
- Breakfast staff was very friendly.

I will not be returning to this hotel on any future visits to Gainesville, due the fact of the noise level in the rooms.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dillonguy4

Reviewed 28 June 2009

We stayed at this hotel because we were in town for my daughter to have surgery at Shands (UF Hospital).

The hotel was very clean, the staff friendly. The location is great - next to everything. You won't be bored many stores and restaurants.

The hotel does offer breakfast in the morning and light dinner at night included in the price of room. Great Deal!

Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 22 June 2009

From top to bottom, we couldn't have chosen a better hotel to stay for a long basketball weekend in Gainesville. Close to everything (including the campus, a 5-mile drive), this hotel is a can't miss. Pricing was very commendable and I considered this an excellent value.

Reviewed 20 June 2009

Homewoods are our favorite chain and this was our 2nd stay in one on a cross-country road trip. We're a family of 4 on a military move from Alaska to Florida. Our military rate for a studio suite was $99 before taxes, $108 after. The studio suite is more a room with a kitchen and pullout couch vice a multi-room suite. The hotel is very convenient to the Interstate if you're just passing through and is pretty close (not walking distance) to the UF campus. There are stores and restaurants all around the hotel.

Homewood is a great brand and is nearly always dependable. This hotel currently rates #3 in Gainesville but is a 3-star while #s 1 & 2 are lower tier hotels. I have no doubt that this is one of the best, if not the best, chain hotels in Gainesville. I would recommend this hotel, but here are a few notes from our stay:

Noise from above. I say try to get the top floor because if you have someone above you, you WILL hear them. It's not a thunk either, it's a creak. Luckily, the people above us went to bed before we did and got up after we did. In other words, we knew when they went to bed and when they woke up. I didn't complain, but when I was in the lobby I mentioned that it might become an issue if it kept up too late. The desk clerk was eager to help, but I'm not sure what he could've done other than move us or move them. Not the typical Homewood deal there.

This hotel was built in 2005, but seems to have been ridden kinda hard. That's probably based on college kids & their families staying vice mostly business travelers. But it's clean and the exterior & lobby are still in good shape. 2005 must have been the last year that new hotels got tube TVs. The 27" CRT on a swivel was weak compared to the 42" LCDs that most other hotels of this level have now. I think it got 30 channels, which is lousy for a city this size, and they're off a satellite so they cut out in a thunderstorm. The pool is outdoor. Not sure if it's heated or cooled. Bad weather thus wrecks swimming plans, too. But outdoor is way better for hanging out/laying out.

Breakfast was great as always, but the evening dinner was understaffed. We got in at 6:30 (it runs 5-7) and the buffet was crushed. It seemed like the one attendant was working very hard but couldn't keep up with managing the busy dining room alone.

Light. There are blackout curtains, they're just neatly tucked away in the corners of the window so it's possible to miss them. If you're from up north, welcome to Florida...the hallways may be warmer than you're used to and you'll want to crank the room AC way down to counter the summer heat.

Overall, this is a great hotel, especially for Gainesville. The above are nit-picky complaints and I think similar or worse problems would be encountered at most of the other hotels in the area. Homewood might be a little bit more $ than some of the competition, but it's almost always worth it.

Reviewed 16 June 2009

In visiting this area multiple times over the last year and half, we have stayed at many different hotels. The Homewood Suites is BY FAR THE BEST when it comes to service and attentiveness by the staff, in every department. We chose this hotel because it was "pet friendly" (we were traveling with our 52-pound puppy). I cannot express enough how fantastic our stay was at this location. On check-in, the 2 front-desk employees were very attentive, friendly, and accommodating. On arrival to the room, I called housekeeping for extra towels, sheets and pillows; the housekeeper was at my door (on the top floor) within minutes! She even offered to come in and put the sheets and pillows on! The free breakfast was fantastic; my children especially enjoyed the make-your-own-waffles section----fresh, hot waffles made to order! The attendant was very friendly, which surprised me because there were so many people there at one time, I certainly would not have been able to handle it. But she kept on replenishing trays of food (fresh cooked eggs, hash browns/potatoes, milk, juices, waffle mix). There were boxed cereals, bagels, toast, english muffins, fresh squeezed o.j. Coffee around-the-clock :-) The free dinner we did not take advantage of because the night we were there, they offered a dish that my family does not enjoy, so we went across the street to the ale house (pet-friendly with outdoor seating). Every time I passed through the lobby to take my dog for a walk, the employees greeted me with a nice smile, asked how I was, how was my stay, etc. My husband and daughter are returning to G-ville next week for a UF sports camp, and I am booking this hotel for them, instead of a less expensive, closer to UF campus hotel. I will definitely return to this Homewood Suites with each visit to the area. By the way, the Hilton Garden Inn that is adjacent to this Homewood Suites is also acceptable, but for a very comparable price, I choose the larger suite. Enjoy!