“A bit of a surprise”

Mildred's Big City Food
Reserve with OpenTable
Mildred's Big City Food is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #94 of 590 Restaurants in Gainesville
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 34th Street
Reviewed 15 March 2014

This was my first time to Mildred's Big City Food. I was a bit surprised by the prices and the short menu. That being said, I had a great meal. I had the pork chop that has to have been the best pork chop I've ever had. My husband hand hanger steak which was also very good. Soup and salad are extras and prices seemed steep. Would we go back...maybe, but only for a special occasion, it's a bit pricey and limited for a regular evening out.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

We eat at Mildred's Big City Foods about 12 times a year and we are never disappointed. The room is decorated in such a pleasing style. The wait staff is very courteous and the menu tends towards gourmet. Also the desserts are amazing. Every time we go to Mildred's we have an amazing meal.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

I was concerned as to whether I was dressed appropriately for Mildred's (business casual), but some were wearing jeans. The tables are decorated with white table cloths covered with white paper, which was fine. Beyond that, not much upscale in the decor. They have bench seats at the tables that are against the wall that are more comfy than just sitting in a chair. The upholstery on the benches were lacking any upscale qualities.

The server wasn't the most engaging, but she was adequate. I did notice a couple of the other servers seemed to interact with the guest much more than she. This was my first time, and though the menu is not extensive, I had trouble deciding on an entree (by the way, four courses are available). I finally decided on the New York Strip. It was a few bucks more than the last couple of steaks I have gotten at other restaurants (which haven't been the best), so I wanted to see how it compared. With my steak, I had fingerling potatoes and broccoli. The steak could have been cooked a bit more since I ordered it medium, but it was very good. The potatoes were different and also tasty. I thought the broccoli would be the standard steamed broccoli, but it was not. It was seasoned very well and tasted wonderful. It was a bit more pricey than your chain places, but it was more relaxed and less clamorous than those places, so that was a plus. It's worth a try.

1  Thank tastebuddy2011
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Chef Bert Gill is Gainesville's top chef in my opinion and his employees love to work WITH him. The food is as local as possible, fresh to the extreme. Great taste and seasoning. The butternut soup and the escargot were wonderful. Everything was better than good. The service is some of the best and nicest in town. Unfortunately, the atmosphere is lacking, although clean. If you care more about the taste and food quality than the building decor you will be pleased.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Mildred's has a lovely ambiance and very good service. The menu is somewhat limited but they do have gluten-free options and hearty vegetarian fare.
The pompano was very light, tasty and well prepared. One in our party had the pork tenderloin. The chef prepared it "medium." It went back for a bit more heat as it appeared more on the rare side.
The desserts, while nicely presented, seemed a bit dry.