“Simply blown away”

The Hippodrome State Theatre
Ranked #1 of 10 Fun & Games in Gainesville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Hippodrome State Theatre is the architectural centerpiece of Gainesville's Historic downtown and is listed on the National Registry of Historic Places. The main stage theatre features the work of award-winning thespians and presents some of the best theatre in the country. The Hippodrome also houses a visual arts gallery, a cinema featuring first run artistic and foreign films, and a full service bar.
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I was looking for a place to take a girl I had recently started seeing. She said she wanted to go to a movie but I wanted something special. I had heard of the Hipp on my local NPR station and decided to give it a try. Parking was easy and for Gainesville area that’s saying something. I enjoy independent films and this is the place I go to see them. And if you enjoy watching a movie with a beer like I do, they serve alcohol. The Hippodrome feels like home but with a bigger T.V. and maybe 40 strangers hanging out. It is a great experience.

All reviews
in 27 reviews
"equity"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 25 February 2014

This old post office has been renovated as a venue for theater and film. Really enjoyed the show. The seats were comfortable, and every one had a good view

Reviewed 14 February 2014

This is a wonderful treasure here in Gainesville! Intimate setting, great entertainment! I've seen 4 or 5 productions here so far. Dinner beforehand, a good show, great way to spend an evening!

Reviewed 2 December 2013

We saw 'Tuna Christmas' ... I thought the building was beautiful from the outside, but inside it was kinda outdated. The performance was fine I guess (I'm no theatre critic so I'll leave that part to the pros) but evidently there is a bar that serves drinks and you can drink in the audience- so the theatre smelled like beer. I paid 8$ for two sodas and they were flat. When I asked the lady if there was something to replace it with she said they were out of the carbonation and all they had other than soda was alcohol. The ad I saw gave me the impression that this was a classy place; I left there feeling kind of bad that we brought our family; and felt a little ripped off.

1  Thank mrslevijamestown
See more reviews
Reviewed 30 November 2013

This is a fascinating piece of historical architecture housing a theater with a central stage surrounded by seats on three sides. One is very close to the actors and action on stage so be sure you carefully select which production you see - this is the key. We thought seeing a local Christmas production on opening night would be fun. Were we members of the hard core American left maybe it would have been. We were enthralled by the old theater's atmosphere at first. Then we heard the entry mood music, "I Saw Daddy Kissing Santa Claus", with lyrics that got less suggestive and more graphic as the song progressed to make sure we know what all Daddy did with Santa. Some people brought their kids. Once the house lights dimmed and the play itself encapsulated the view of self selected sophisticates on the left that the residents of the flyover states, in this case Texas, are mind-numbingly provincial buffoons whose hobbies include smoking, swearing, killing living things with a variety of weapons, sneaking alcohol shots and hypocrisy. Not to worry, the protagonists found liberation and a Merry C-Word in the end through adultery, so all is well. Felt good to gently vent about the play, thanks for reading. All that said, I would love to see an actual theater production of merit in this venue. In our assessment, the venue far exceeded its content on the evening upon which we attended "The Hipp".

1  Thank Nick N