“Great fun!”

The Hippodrome State Theatre
More attraction details
Owner description: The Hippodrome State Theatre is the architectural centerpiece of Gainesville's Historic downtown and is listed on the National Registry of Historic Places. The main stage theatre features the work of award-winning thespians and presents some of the best theatre in the country. The Hippodrome also houses a visual arts gallery, a cinema featuring first run artistic and foreign films, and a full service bar.
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I've attended several plays here, and always enjoyed them. The cast & crew seem to really work hard and do a lot with only a little stage/props/scenery.

The old building is gorgeous.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

In downtown Gainesville Florida this gem features som great stage shows regularly for those who truly enjoy seeing them! I always enjoy my time spent there.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

One of the older buildings redesigned as a live theater and movie theater. The stage is surrounded on three sides by about 15 rows of seats. So everyone gets a great view and personal connection with the actors. The productions are very well done. The shows are very inexpensive for the quality.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

I have been with my wife and kids a number of times. The plays are great. The building looks great on the outside and is unique on the inside. The seating for the plays could use some work but I can understand that is difficult on limited funds. The experience of seeing a live performance in the relatively small area was great and I recommend it to everyone.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

I was looking for a place to take a girl I had recently started seeing. She said she wanted to go to a movie but I wanted something special. I had heard of the Hipp on my local NPR station and decided to give it a try. Parking was easy and for Gainesville area that’s saying something. I enjoy independent films and this is the place I go to see them. And if you enjoy watching a movie with a beer like I do, they serve alcohol. The Hippodrome feels like home but with a bigger T.V. and maybe 40 strangers hanging out. It is a great experience.