“Customer satisfaction is bottom priority at the Top”
Review of The Top

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: the TOP / prepped daily / fresh & local ingredients / see you soon
gainesville, fl
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Customer satisfaction is bottom priority at the Top”
Reviewed 4 December 2013

If the Top were just a bar that served corn nuggets and delicious desserts (mmmm...bourbon torte) then I would agree that it is a Gainesville gem. However they're actually a restaurant and I can't for the life of me figure out why half of Gainesville seems obsessed with it.
Really? Are we that desperate for unique restaurants in this town that we are willing to wait 2+ hours to eat mediocre food (desserts and corn nuggets aside) served by pretentious hipsters?
Don't let me stop you though, if you like waiting an hour for a table and then an additonal hour, only to have your waiter tell you that the kitchen lost your order and then ignore you the rest of the night, then this is the place for you! Don't expect any sympathy from management either, they're too busy cultivating their beards to be bothered.

• Visited July 2013

Gainesville, Florida
“Great Happy Hour”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

The Top has one of, if not the best, Happy Hours in Gainesville. The draft beer list is very impressive, the bartenders are knowledgeable, and the appetizers are well made. The plantain chips are worth a try.

• Visited November 2013
Donnelly, Idaho
“Excellent food and super service. ”
Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

My wife and I had the black peppercorn filets. I have not had a better steak in years. The draft beer list (33 varieties) is impressive. The rest of out party had tacos and a hamburger. All excellent. Josh was our server and was one of the best I have ever had. Will definitely return next time we are in town!!!

“Local businesses”
Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

I love that they use natural and organic ingredients without jacking up the price. its always very busy. Its a bit too loud for a nice evening out but I have yet to not like eating there.

• Visited September 2013
Kissimmee, Florida
“Terrible”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We went to The Top. Sunday Nov 10. There were 7 in our party. We sat down and it took a while to get our order taken. Eventually we placed our order. After we had been there for 1 hour and 20 minutes the waitress came by and said they hadn't lost our order. Seemed to be a strange comment. In the meantime the table next to us was served and left. The table next to that turned over and the second group was eating. The waitress would show up every 15 minutes or so and say they had a really small kitchen and it took a while. She said they didn't even have microwaves. Which was good since I wanted fresh food not microwaved food. After 2 hours we went to the hostess stand and complained. A little while later our waitress came over and said our check had been lost. To add insult to injury she said if we wanted to reorder it would be at least another hour. Now wouldn't you think you would put the order in front if someone had been patiently waiting for 2 hours. She did come by once and asked if we would like some fruit while we were waiting. We all said yes. 20 minutes later she came back by and said would you like some fruit while we were waiting. We said yes the second time as well. She brought a cereal bowl full of fruit put it on the table and left. No serving utensils and no plates. We were all family so we ate out of the same bowl. It was getting pretty incredible at this point. No one from management stopped by or acknowledged our presence. We were all visiting so the time went fast. We had a couple of drinks from the bar that we had to go and get ourselves. When she said it would be more than another hour we left. So in more than 2 hours we had a couple of drinks we got ourselves and Ice water and a bowl of fruit to share. I have been there before and really enjoyed it. I will not go back. Not because of the mix up because I will not support a management team that clearly does not care about their customers.

• Visited November 2013