“The Top is my jam.”

Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: the TOP / prepped daily / fresh & local ingredients / see you soon
Reviewed 13 June 2014

My husband and I are moving away from Gainesville next month, and The Top is one of the places we will miss the most.

The atmosphere is great, really "Gainesville." There's a lot of weird artwork, and a lot of even better food. I have never had anything bad, ever. My staples are the Mastadon burger, vegetarian style (legit black bean patty with seitan "bacon") with sweet potato fries and their awesome homemade BBQ sauce and ranch-garlic-dill-whatever-is-n-it-is-awesome sauce. I also get down regularly on the Black Bean cakes with chicken and my husband is obsessed with the spicy noodle bowl and their duck, when they have it.

Bartenders will hook you up, so be nice (to everyone really, am I right?). The gimlets are my favorite, but they have 30+ beers on tap at all times, so check out their rotating menu for the latest and greatest.

You'll most likely have to wait about half an hour, but go to the bar, grab a drink, and find someone to talk to. The food is worth it.

Also, if you saved any room at all, they have an amazing dessert case in the back. The Peanut Butter Pie with Oreo crust will leave you wanting to take a nap immediately (full belly naps are the best), but it's TOO GOOD not to eat it.

Also, do yourself a favor and go for brunch one week. If they ever serve the goat cheese and jam on Cuban toast, get it. At least do it for me, please?

This is also a good hang out spot. Like I said, the bar is great. Happy Hour all day on Sundays. You're welcome.

1  Thank M D

Reviewed 28 May 2014

They expended the bar and it's awesome and I haven't been disappointed with the food either! I guess I could agree with the other comments on service but I really didn't notice as the table conversation occupied my time. The menu is quite diverse and I had gnocchi one time and pork belly the next. Others had the ahi entree and all were delicious and mouth watering! I takes a while for food to show up but in my mind it is worth the wait!

2  Thank brad_brew
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is one of the most popular dining spots in Gainesville because of the unique atmosphere but mostly because of the fabulous food. A tremendous variety of dishes that are all excellent and many that you won't find in most restaurants. Throw a dart at the menu, you can't go wrong.

1  Thank BillnFaye
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is one of our more favorite eclectic dining places around town. Often very busy, always many interesting people to watch (including the staff!), fun decor....and never a disappointing meal!

2  Thank obilon-kanobe
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The Top is very popular even late at night you can expect to wait on the weekends but it is worth the wait. Last week we showed up hungry at 11pm and had to wait 30 minutes. The open face tempeh and pesto sandwich hit the spot. Eclectic setting with surprisingly good service.

1  Thank WorldClassBob