“meh, typical, staff not very bright”

Best Western Gateway Grand
Ranked #4 of 47 Hotels in Gainesville
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Used hotwire for the first time and snagged a great rate. Upon check-in, I asked for a king size bed and was told by the clerk (his name tag said night auditor) that priceline and hotwire customers always get double beds (looking down his nose). Never, ever again will I stay in a Best Western. I need attitude like that like I need a root canal. Lots of competition out there. Other than that, the hotel was fine, restaurant was surprisingly good, but I repeat, I don't pay money for attitude. Next.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else, the extra $50 you save ain't worth receiving attitude from some front desk...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank capitollobbyist
Ron G, General Manager at Best Western Gateway Grand, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2013

Thank you for your comments. I am very sorry but the very low priceline rate is not eligible for our suites, king premier or king delux rooms. I will make sure our front office manager reviews procedures for telling guests this in a constructive pleasant manner to all desk clerks and night auditors. Thank you. Ron.

Reviewed 12 April 2013

We arrived late afternoon without a reservation and were immediately offered a large room which we accepted. Upon closer inspection there are smaller rooms in the hotel, at a smaller price but we were happy with the room we had. Large, clean, comfortable. The hotel itself caters to small meetings and is thus much more spacious in the lobby area than most roadside hotels. They have a terrific outdoor pool and hot tub which we couldn't use because of poor weather but others were using the hot tub regardless. There is a decent restaurant attached, which is a good thing because nothing else is within walking distance. Front desk staff was pleasant and efficient. The only thing they might have done is tell us about the smaller rooms and smaller price, but perhaps none were available on this rainy night. We'd definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask about the pricing for the smaller rooms vs. the larger ones.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank david g

Thank you for your nice comments. We do sell out quite a bit, and I'm not sure if that is the reason the front desk did not mention the other smaller room but I will make sure our front office manager covers the issue on his next training session with the desk. Have a great day, hope to be of service to you again. Ron.

Reviewed 11 April 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights while we were on a diving trip at the local freshwater springs because this hotel was central to our diving locations and 20 min from each of them.

(The Good): The hotel grounds and outside were appealing and well kept we noticed as we first arrived. The front desk clerk and staff seemed friendly and helpful. The hair dryer in the room we were given caught fire and burned up the first time we used it and the staff at the front desk offered us another room without hassle until that one could be replaced. Breakfast was pleasant (standard continental, yet for $3 extra an attendant would make a pretty darn good omelet for you which we tried and liked.) Pool area was clean and well kept. Bed Sheets were clean and smelled fresh.

(The Bad): The room was not cleaned thoroughly. Upon arrival we found hair clinging to the shower walls, the tile floor was gritty feeling and when I went to unpack my suitcase of clothes and put them in the dresser drawers I stopped because there were several wads of hair in the bottom (yech!!!) so I just left all our clothes packed in the suitcase. The carpets are stained and look dirty in our room.

Overall thoughts - I was able to obtain this room at a large discount through an online travel site so I'm not going to blast this hotel. They are doing a lot of things right here and it wasn't bad...not at all. We would stay here again for the price we paid. I would offer to the hotel management however that if they want to go from being average to great, that they upgrade the room furnishings, clean or replace the carpet and closely inspect the room cleanliness after the cleaning staff finishes.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Atomic-Style

Thank you for your comments. I will make sure our executive housekeeper is aware of your comments. They will help us with our training program within housekeeping. We hope to see you again. Ron.

Reviewed 9 April 2013

I was in Gainesville for the Santa Fe Spring Art show, and I believe this was the hotel they included with their mail out to artists. Not a good choice. The hotel carpets seemed dirty, and the room had a distinct odor. This is a pet friendly hotel by the way, which had I known....... Any way the staff did offer to move me but after setting up my tent I was just too tired to care. The bed was very soft and obviously needed replacing.

Now, the staff was helpful and professional. The manager responded to my survey response by saying thr hotel was due for some renewal, carpets and beds, and I appreciated his response.

The sports bar was excellent, food good and friendly service.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank whcowley
Ron G, General Manager at Best Western Gateway Grand, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2013

I am so sorry your stay wasn't excellent. The manager that told you the carpet is being replaced this year was correct. We will be replacing all of the hallway carpet this year as well as starting our room renovations which will include the beds. We are one of the only hotels that offer a performing arts and festivals rate in Gainesville. We hope to serve you again. Ron.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

We have stayed at this hotel many times, hoping to earn a free night soon. It is very pleasant, the restaurant is very good as well as the breakfast. We especially like the rooms and the separate sitting area.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your comments. We hope to be your host and have you stay with us many more times. Have a great day. Ron

Reviewed 8 April 2013

Stayed here many times while attending a horse show in Gainesville. Hotel staff always friendly and helpful. On every visit they have given us coupons for the Gator Den Restaurant which has always provided a wonderful meal. Rooms reasonably priced, clean, and comfortable. This is my hotel of choice whenever visiting Gainesville.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your great comments! We are hosting the Citrus Cup Morgan Horse competition this weekend and hope to host many more horse events. We hope you will stay here every time you need a room in Gainesville. If we ever forget the coupon for our sports grill, please feel free to ask the desk and they will be glad to give you one. Have a great day. Ron.

Reviewed 7 April 2013 via mobile

We loved our room. Very nice staff. Nice size rooms and a great shower. Will stay here again when we are in the area when we are anywhere close to this area. Our daughter in law loves the Florida Gators so she had to have her photo taken with all the Gator things around the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012

Thank you for the excellent comments. I will share them with the staff of the hotel. We also love*** the Florida Gators. The football team will be staying with us before every home game this coming season. Have a great day. Ron.