“Great for food and dogs and sleep.”

Best Western Gateway Grand
Ranked #4 of 44 Hotels in Gainesville
GreenLeadersBronze level
shelbyville
“Great for food and dogs and sleep.”
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

Outstanding restaurant! Good service and excellent food. Hotel Is pet friendly with a nice mowed field for walking. Rooms good sized and bed was very comfortable. We have stayed at many motels between Fort Lauderdale and Tennessee with our dogs and this was one of the nicest. Look forward to staying there again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Ron G, General Manager at Best Western Gateway Grand, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Thank you so much for your comments. A lot of the employees have pets and love to visit with pets that are on the property. We even had Jack Hanna bring some of his exotic animals to the hotel while speaking at Santa Fe College teaching zoo across from the hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Reviewed 17 March 2014

great views. rooms were adequate. people were nice at the reception area but some problems posting BW Honors points, etc. Also the Diamond Club amenities were lacking abit although the room was spectacular in terms of the views and space.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for your comments. I will let our front office manager know about the posting problems so we can do additional training with the clerks. Our rooms are now being renovated so the view will only be enhanced by the new rooms in two months.
St Pete FL, United States
Reviewed 17 March 2014

less then ideal location. No micro/fridge in room - pretty annoying. Expensive for a roadside accommodation far from town central. I recieved the lowest rate available and still paid over @100 to sleep, shower and watch a little TV. I really like BW tho and will continue to use them. Most BWs are excellent and of fair value.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

I am sorry you felt our facility is far away from the town center but we are only 9 miles from down town Gainesville. We compare our rates extensively with the surrounding hotels and feel the price compared to $150 to $170 for a down town hotel is acceptable. Thank you for the comments on the mirco/frig. We also feel it is a necessary item and will have micro/frigs, in all rooms by the end of May.
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

Although the facade and entrance is "grand" our room had filthy carpeting. We checked in late and kept our shoes on. Upon checking out, we informed the front desk who made some statement that he guessed the carpeting needed cleaning. The breakfast room was not too clean either. My 3rd table only had a few cereal flakes left. The girls in charge were chatting up the cook making omelets. Very disappointing and really glad we only to spend one night.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Pigeon Forge, Tennessee
Reviewed 13 March 2014

I was to be at this hotel for a week, Monday night thru Saturday night.
I left my laundry at the front desk this morning to be cleaned. Clerk told me it would be returned at 12 today. I return to the hotel at 6pm, get laundry and go to my room to find my luggage missing. Return to front desk and they said I checked out at 10am. Why would I leave laundry to be returned at noon, leave all my stuff in my room, as I have done all week, knowing I was checking out. Money was gone from my computer bag. Manager response it turn it over to police, general manager response to my telling him he has a thief on staff is that is my accusation, he doesn't know he employs a thief.
Why would any hotel remove someone's luggage, computer bag, etc without at least checking on why it was there. I am part of a big group staying all week. Even after asked how they would feel if it were them, they seemed to care less and clueless as to what happened or why. I am only here tonight because there are no other rooms in town and I hopefully will talk to a detective tomorrow. My name is Bill Howell and I live in Pigeon Forge, Tn. This is one review you can believe is not fake and if you read this, please beware. Lesson learned from me.

10 Thank Bill H
Ron G, General Manager at Best Western Gateway Grand, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Thank you for speaking with me over the past few weeks as we work with the authorities investigating this matter. As I mentioned previously, we perform a thorough background check on all employees when they are hired. We have over 100 employees on staff and nearly 4000 guests pass through our hotel monthly. All criminal investigations are turned over to the local police department. They are the professionals in this area and we work with them every step of the way to uncover any criminal activity that is brought to our attention. I would like to mention that the Best Western Plus Gateway Grand has many safety deposit boxes at the front desk for storing large amounts of cash or valuables. The guest is the only person that has a key to these boxes so their items are totally secure. We are hopeful that the local police can bring you some peace of mind in this matter.
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviewed 6 March 2014

This hotel has a free shuttle service to and from the airport. It's several miles (about 20 minutes), so being able to get a ride that far is quite a benefit. When I called from the airport, the front desk clerk was very courteous and asked for my cell number so that the driver could contact me if she couldn’t find me. The shuttle is clearly marked. Allen in banquets showed me the meeting room when I arrived (it was set up right). He was there the next morning to make sure everything was right, and water refresh was done without being asked. The restaurant opens at 5 and has pretty good food. The morning breakfast buffet has yogurt, bananas, oranges and bread items.
There’s a facialist/massage therapist on site. Ms. Nettie Johnson was not available on my visit but her cell is 352 284 5117 (or extension 614) at hotel and she was very pleasant – she said it was okay to call in advance if I came back to the area. If you're visiting, you could set up an appointment in advance.

Room Tip: The rooms aren't fancy but are very pleasant. The conference center has many meeting rooms.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for the marvelous comments. We feel the van transport is an excellent amenity and I'm glad it was useful for you. Many guests take advantage of the onsite massage therapist and we hope you get the chance to in the future. I will let Allen and his banquet staff know about your great comments as well as our Executive Chef and his staff. We hope to see you many more times in the future.
Orlando, Florida, United States
Reviewed 24 February 2014

My son exclaimed upon our arrival,"Looks like the Hard Rock Hotel in Orlando!" Unfortunately, looks were deceiving. We came up for a soccer tournament with a group for a night or two and felt we chose well. The continental breakfast on Saturday out did most by filling up a lot of hungry kids and spectators, but flew the coop on Sunday with little to no choices half way through the hours. We experienced no housekeeping svc on Saturday and had to ask the front desk for extra towels! And, please check your contracts carefully, as we were told one thing, and experienced extra charges the next. I usually write glowing reviews, but cannot, when it falls short of being Grand.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business

1 Thank Kenna W
I'm very sorry that your stay wasn't up to your expectations. When we have large baseball or soccer groups in it sometimes takes a while to replenish our buffet and we occasionally run out of certain items but replace them with other choices.
I am sorry you didn't receive room service. We do have a houseperson on duty 18 hours a day so if anything is missed, you can inquire at the desk and they can send up a person to accommodate your needs whether it's cleaning a room or supplying extra amenities.
We do charge a half day rate when teams check out after the check out time of 12 noon. This is usually done because a lot of teams come back after playing the tournament. They then shower and leave to go home which makes the room unusable for that night. We feel a 1/2 charge is acceptable.