“Affordable...right off the interstate”

Best Western Gateway Grand
Ranked #4 of 44 Hotels in Gainesville
GreenLeadersBronze level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Affordable...right off the interstate”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Very nice property that isn't easy to find off the exit. Nice pool and hot tub and a good breakfast.
King room was spacious but a long way from the front desk. Bar/Restaurant was outside around the Hotel ...quite unusual...but overall a good value close to Gainesville

Room Tip: Ask for close to the elevator
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Vince S, Front Office Manager at Best Western Gateway Grand, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Thank you so much for the feedback on your recent stay. I apologize for the inconvenience you had in locating the property, please feel free to call us any time if you need directions or route recommendations.

I'm glad you enjoyed the spacious King Deluxe Mini-Suite, with the half-wall that separates the room into a sleeping and sitting area. I'm sorry to hear that your room was further from the lobby than you prefer. As certain areas tend to fill up quick, you can always tell us any preferences you have when making your reservation, and we'll do everything we can to hold a room for you that will meet your needs!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Canton, Georgia
Reviewed 14 April 2014

When I made reservations for a night stay at the BEST WESTERN PLUS Gateway Grand in Gainesville, FL, all I was looking for was the assurance that my room would have a handicapped bathroom friendly with a roll-in-shower.
I have to say that when we got the first view of this hotel we were so pleasantly surprised. We felt as if we had arrived into one of those ‘medievail hostels’ that you find in Europe. And that feeling stayed with us all through the parking lot –for we found ample and easy parking space, the staff ( 2 girls) at the reception desk were delightful, our room was big enough, the bed was king size and the bathroom had my requested roll-in-shower.
So we had a restful night and next morning we enjoyed a very nice breakfast.
There was some kind of repair work or addition construction being done in the back yard but I am sure once that would be completed it will also look magnificent. In fact, one friend of mine told me she had held her daughter’s wedding reception in that hotel a couple of years ago.
The hotel even offers a 10% discount for its restaurant, which we did not take advantage of because we had been invited to dinner some were else.
I would be happy to come back and spend a week in that beautiful and affordable hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for the gracious comments! I was so happy to hear that we were able accommodate your needs during your stay. Nothing pleases our Front Desk staff more than knowing they contributed in making a guests stay memorable and enjoyable!

The maintenance you witnessed during your stay was part of a project to keep our hotel exterior clean and beautiful and I'm sure you will love the way it turned out on your next stay!

I hope you have a chance to try the Gators Den Sports Grill during your next visit. With specials like the Grouper Baton Rouge, the Pasta Primavera, and the Down Home Meatloaf (my personal favorite) I'm sure you'll find something that's perfect for you!

We look forward to that week long visit!
Minnesota, United States
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Was not accommodating for 2 pm arrival and check in. Had to wait 2 hours until the 4 pm hotel check in time. They were too busy preparing for a wedding party. Location is far from most things in Gainesville. It is difficult to write anything nice after this long wait.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

I am sorry to hear that we were unable to accommodate your early check-in request during your last stay. While we always do our best to accommodate special requests, rooms are not always available prior to our 4pm check-in time.

When rooms become vacant, we clean them as quickly as possible while still maintaining our high standard of cleanliness. During periods of high-occupancy, certain room types may not become vacant as quickly as others, resulting in a delay in having those room types available for check-in.

Taking these factors into account, we know that we will always have a few of every room type available by 4pm, and set this as the guaranteed check-in time so that you can plan your trip accordingly, knowing that you will have a freshly cleaned room if you arrive at 4pm or later. Of course, we would never ask a guest to wait if there was a room already cleaned for them and are happy to check a guest in early if there is a room available!

Thank you for your understanding as we strive to give each guest the best stay we possibly can!
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Main point: This hotel is gross.

Details: We booked the hotel through Priceline and ended up paying a little over $100, which is about four times what it should've cost. Lobby and exterior look promising but then you get to the room. There was gum on the floor, sticky stuff on the tv stand, and pee on the toilet seat. The room looked like it hadn't been cleaned in weeks. If you have any other options for lodging, take it. Stay away from this place!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Ron G, Front Office Manager at Best Western Gateway Grand, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
I am very sorry to hear that we were unable to satisfy your expectations during your stay. Cleanliness is extremely important to our property and all rooms are cleaned and inspected thoroughly before being rented to our guests. I will make sure that our Executive Housekeeper is made aware of your situation so we can take measures to ensure it does not happen again. Please be aware that we are available 24 hours a day at the Front Desk, and would be happy to assist you if you are ever dissatisfied with any aspect of your stay. Thank you very much for making us aware of this situation.
Martinsville, Indiana
Reviewed 26 March 2014

This property overuses the word: "No." I called the hotel on the 9th of March and spoke with Tonya. I would be presenting a seminar at this venue on the 27th, and have a significant heart condition. I asked if I could request a 1:00 p.m. late checkout FOR MEDICAL REASONS (when I send my seminar attendees out for their lunch, I have to lie down, due to a really bad heart.)
Tonya said, and rather brusquely: "We cannot make such requests; this is spring break. You have to ask the morning of your checkout."
That would be the morning when I am trying to get a seminar.
I told "Tonya" that I would then need to leave a message with the banquets manager, asking that a sofa be brought into the seminar room. She transferred me to "Allen Young"- the banquets manager. I left a message on his voice-mail asking for either the late check-out or a sofa, and requested a call back. I did not get a call back.
Upon arriving at the property on the 26th, I again asked the front desk receptionist about the 1:00 p.m. checkout. She said that I should not have contacted Mr. Allen Young, as "...housekeeping makes that decision." I asked her if she would make the request for me; she said she would leave a message.
Later in the evening, my wife stopped by the frond desk to ask which seminar room would be the one we would be using on the 27th. The front desk staff (now a young man and an older man) told her: "We don't give that information out."
Phenomenal. Truly, phenomenal.
Later yet, I went to the business center to print out two PDF files. On the business center computers, one would find Adobe Reader. However, one cannot access Adobe, or even open PDF files, as these are "Parental Control Protected." I called the front desk from the Business Center and was told that they did not have Administrator authority. I asked if I could bring my flash drive to the front desk to get the files printed, and was told "yes."
Upon arriving at the front desk, I presented my flash drive. I was told that the staff needed to know which files needed to be printed. I told them I did not know the names, but could show them. I was told that I could not come to the office to show which files needed to be printed.
This venue has a mastery of the word "NO" and does not seem to value the needs of guests. I mentioned this to the frond desk staff, and was immediately interrupted. I asked: "Are you able to take feedback?" The front desk staff then let me state my concerns about the profound negativity experienced throughout this reservation. The reply? "The general manager would want to hear your concerns...tomorrow." Tomorrow, when I am giving a full-day seminar, and trying to find a way to lie down for lunch.
I am truly disappointed. And on the sleeping room beds one finds a laminated note: "We want this to be your second home."
Hardly.
All throughout the venue are negative signs: "Do not..." "Prohibited."
This place will not get my business again, and a copy of this review was posted to the Best Western Survey site.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Ron G, General Manager at Best Western Gateway Grand, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
I am extremely sorry we didn't meet your expectations during your recent stay. Our Front Office Manager Vince received the information form Allen our banquet manager, checked with housekeeping and received an exception to have a late check out. He left that information on the phone number that was given to Allen our banquet manager. I am so sorry you did not receive the information.

We appreciate you letting us know about the business center. Our tech support was called in and corrected the problem.

Our front office manage spoke with the desk clerks who worked with your wife and there was a miscommunication. They could not find the information for the meeting room you were requesting as the name of the group that booked the meeting was not the same as the name of the event itself. We will provide training with our desk and sales and catering staff to make sure the correct information is being posted regarding our meeting rooms and that clerks are communicating effectively with guests and making sure that if they cannot assist personally, that they get them in touch with someone who can.

I apologize for the feeling of negativity you felt during your visit due to the restrictions posted on our signs. The signs and rules are in place for the safety and comfort of our guests. We must also ask that the back office remain off limits to guests for the safety of our staff and the security of our guest records.

Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.
shelbyville
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

Outstanding restaurant! Good service and excellent food. Hotel Is pet friendly with a nice mowed field for walking. Rooms good sized and bed was very comfortable. We have stayed at many motels between Fort Lauderdale and Tennessee with our dogs and this was one of the nicest. Look forward to staying there again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your comments. A lot of the employees have pets and love to visit with pets that are on the property. We even had Jack Hanna bring some of his exotic animals to the hotel while speaking at Santa Fe College teaching zoo across from the hotel.
Reviewed 17 March 2014

great views. rooms were adequate. people were nice at the reception area but some problems posting BW Honors points, etc. Also the Diamond Club amenities were lacking abit although the room was spectacular in terms of the views and space.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for your comments. I will let our front office manager know about the posting problems so we can do additional training with the clerks. Our rooms are now being renovated so the view will only be enhanced by the new rooms in two months.