“Fantastic food - but they need to fix their kitchen exhaust system!”
Review of Reggae Shack Cafe

Reggae Shack Cafe
Ranked #23 of 588 Restaurants in Gainesville
Price range: US$5 - US$11
Cuisines: Jamaican
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Description: Parking In The Back
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We love the food at reggae shack!

However, they really need yo do something about their kitchen exhaust system. The whole restaurant is usually filled with fryer smoke. We visited last Sunday for lunch - but were soon forced to take our lunch 'to-go' as the smoke became unbearable. So much for trying to get a Sunday lunch!

Unfortunately this is not an isolated incident as you can see from my past review. I have had many other friends complain about the same. It is a pity that the owners have not done anything to fix this issue and improve the ambience.

We will still get food from the shack - just cannot sit there and eat it!

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Let me begin with this fact, I regularly drive over 40 miles each way to eat here. The food is authentic and absolutely delicious. From the curry goat to the jerk chicken I have yet to find a dish I did not like, and their menu is enormous. Most menu items are around $10. Huge vegan selection as well. It is not a large place but the atmosphere is great. Service is always very friendly and prompt. If you have not tried this place yet YOU MUST GO!!

Reviewed 26 July 2014

The food was great along with the service. Husband and I saw their billboard on I 75 North, and thought we would try them, glad we did. It's a great little place.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

This place is great! The menu is very diverse and there is so much to try. Large portions and very reasonably priced. We tasted flavor combinations that we have never experienced before! The staff is super friendly. Kind of warm on the kitchen side so you might want to request to move to the other side if possible. Good beer selection including Red Stripe, Caribe and Corona to add to the experience.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Real Jamaican food, in all its diversity. We dropped by on our way through G'ville a couple weeks ago. We ordered salt fish and ackee, oxtail stew and festivals. The plates arrived with cabbage and fried plantain. All wonderful! Service was terrific.