“Unexpectedly Great!”
Review of Econo Lodge West

Econo Lodge West
Ranked #37 of 46 Hotels in Gainesville
Reviewed 21 June 2009

The rooms were very clean, the front desk agent was great, and they had everything they promised. Completely opposite of the Clarion. I will definitely be returning, this time I'll book with this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Econo Lodge West

Reviewed 11 May 2009

We traveled to Gainesville to attend our nephew's graduation. We had planned a family reunion of sorts and had reserved our rooms about 10 months prior. We got a great deal and were so excited. We told all of our family to book at the Clarion so we could all be together. Well, the Clarion "lost" 4 of the 10 reservations that we had made really early and told us we could pay over $200 per night if we wanted to stay. I went crazy and was so upset that they would try to take advantage of us in that way. We went into the carport to discuss what we were going to do and looked across the street and saw a sign for the Econo Lodge. I decided to walk over and find out how much their rooms were. They weren't that much less expensive but the front desk clerk was SO nice. She said she understood that we wanted to be near our family and that since the Clarion messed up, she would even give us an additional discount so we would feel better. She said we there for a great ocassion and not to let anyone else mess that up. We decided that the 4 families would stay at the Econo Lodge and the rest stayed at the Clarion. For the rest of the weekend all we heard were complaints about the Clarion's rooms, the people were super rude, and the breakfast they offered was a joke; the rest of our family was miserable. The 4 families that stayed at the Econo Lodge were really treated like royalty. The rooms were nothing special but at least they were clean, the desk clerk gave us rooms right next to each other so our kids could still be together. The breakfast was good too. Before, I would have never considered this hotel but after our most recent experience at the May Graduation Weekend, I will only stay at the Econo Lodge West whenever we visit Gainesville.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 May 2009

When reservation was made, we understood the total rate was $170.00 for 2-nights. What a shock after we checked out and noticed it was $170.00 for each night !!!! And we had booked 2 rooms for family., running our total up to $680.00 instead of the $340.00 we had anticipated. I realize now that it was "price gouging" because it was Univ. of FL graduation week-end. Bath room was not clean ~ ~ I even considered asking house-keeping for some bleach to spray the mildew in the tub. Carpet was dirty. Bed was comfortable but sheets had some stains. Pretty slim continental breakfast. We just expected more for the money. Would not recommend to friends. The one positive thing for us was the location to the event we were attending, but will not stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 October 2008

We needed a room for only one night and didn't want to commit to the 2 night minimum stay most hotels in Gainesville have on football weekends. We should have realized when the Econo Lodge West had plenty of rooms available the day of Gator Growl that there may be some issues. Anyway we booked the room and headed to Gainesville. The room was really pretty standard (ours was a non-smoking king). The towels were exceptionally thin and small and only 2 were placed in the room, only 2 pillows as well. The bed had some kind of rubber sheet underneath the sheet, which made sleep nearly impossible. The other reviews describe the thin walls and the noise - this is VERY accurate. I would estimate I slept a total of one hour in the room and heard all kinds of conversations throughout the night that seemed like the people were standing inches away from our door. If you have another option, I would recommend you try it.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 March 2008

I've stayed here the past several years for the three days of the Gatornationals drag racing weekend. Nice place, Very clean, nice staff, good location with several good restaurants nearby. Also close to good shopping. Ask for a 2nd floor room if possible. The 1st floor rooms get alot of noise from the rooms above. You hear every step on the floors. I book early several months in advance and get super rates. Overall a decent, clean and safe place to sleep. Not fancy but very good value.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank SoFlaDave
gmeconolodge, Manager at Econo Lodge West, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2008

Thank you for your comments. Since your visit to our property we have added some additional amenties such as an enhance breakfast, featuring hot waffles. We look forward to seeing again next year!

Reviewed 13 March 2008

I booked this hotel very early on because of the price for the weekend of Gatornationals. Then I started reading reviews and had great trepidation about staying there. We decided we would go and, if horrible, find someplace else to stay. We were pleasantly surprised by the hotel. The staff was very nice and helpful. They stated that the rooms do have high speed wireless and, even though they have put in boosters, it can be slow due to the building being solid concrete. They will provide a lan cable so that you can connect directly if the high speed is too slow. The room was nice.. it looked like the rugs were new and it was very clean. I feared the bug thing and checked everything, but none were found. Based on this stay, I would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bashe01

Reviewed 28 August 2007

After a few hours in the room, around 11pm, 4 roaches came into view. One on the bed, one came from behind a picture crawling in the bed, one on the TV furniture and finally one that flew at me from the side of the bed.
After hastily dressing, packing, the night clerk could only repeat "we do not give refunds". NOW, I know why. The owner, Mr. Doshi, does not give refunds - period.
The owner's daughter called me two days later to tell me that they went in the next day and found no evidence of roaches (duh, daytime!), that the room showed evidence of use (duh, we were in the room from 6pm to 11pm before the roaches showed up) and no refund could be given. We pulled the bedspread down to search for roaches (what was I thinking???).
Owner's daughter refused to give refund and told me to have a nice day.
Will update this review if calling Choice Hotels Corporate office results in satisfaction. The Gainesville Chamber of Commerce told me that they never recommended a hotel that wasn't a member (big whoop!!). The Better Business Bureau of Florida has my complaint as well.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with friends
3  Thank ITravelfromeorgia

Thank you for your comments. As we discussed on the phone, we have a contracted pest control service that has been servicing the property for many years. We would have loved an opportunity to rectify the situation had we been notified prior to your check-out. However, since the room was used and you did stay the whole night in the room, and the contracted pest control service that came out to the property within 1 hour of your comments and was not able to find any signs of any pests, we were unable to provide a refund. The total satisfaction of all of our guests is our number one priority, we were able to offer you the promotion that we offered for your next stay. However, you declined that offer.