“Will never go back”

Wyndham Garden Gainesville
Ranked #29 of 47 Hotels in Gainesville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 23 August 2011

The carpet was dirty and the room was filthy.. Bathroom was okay. The hotel needs a make over.
The front desk lady was rude. She said that the hotel was full and I would get a smoking room as I had booked through hot wire. According to her, the best rooms were given to people who booked directly thru them.
Will never go there again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank 34515Lovetotravel
PlazaMgmt, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Garden Gainesville, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2011

Thank you for staying at the Paramount Plaza and submitting a review. I apologize that you were placed into a smoking room but unfortunately when you book through Hotwire it is a blind booking, meaning you are not reserving a specific room type but just a room in the hotel. When the hotel is in a sold out situation, as was the case here, we are forced to put the guests who do blind bookings into smoking rooms. If you had contacted the hotel we could have noted the reservation that you were requesting a non smoking room and accomodations possibly could have been made.

Reviewed 15 August 2011

Upon check in, the folks at the desk were very friendly and accomodating. I also found the restaurant emplyees were attentive. Food and drinks were excellent. I had a wonderful night's rest and was refreshed for the llong drive the next day. Breakfast buffet was also delicious.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo

Thank you for recently staying at the Paramount Plaza Hotel and Suites and taking the time out to share your experience with fellow travelers. I am pleased to read that the front desk staff was friendly and accomodating, that the restaurant service was prompt and that the food ordered was also to your liking. I hope that you will stay with us again in the future if you are ever in the Gainesville area.

Reviewed 10 August 2011

I recently had to make a quick trip to Gainesville on business. My husband came along and we turned the trip into a weekend getaway after I completed my obligation. We decided on the Paramount after reading the reviews because of its location and value ($70 nightly, manager's special rate). We a wanted a place w/ a restaurant and bar incase the tropical storms that were predicted for the weekend came to fruition and kept us indoors. We also wanted something centrally located between the Univercity and the downtown area. We looked at the other resort-style hotels but pricing was a bit high for the area. Although it is an older place the room was large and clean. We got a king sized non-smoking room with a balcony that had a view of the lake and pool area. The lake is beautiful and the trees magnificent. As the other reviewers said, the elevator was slow, the hallways were stuffy and thankfully, we did not have to eat at the restaurant in the hotel because the weather cleared up for us. We went downtown and ate at Emiliano's (excellent, fresh, interesting flavors). The staff at the hotel were great! Very quick check-in, pleasant and extremely helpful. All in all it was a decent place at a decent price.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank smiling_jordans

Thank you for choosing the Paramount Plaza during your recent trip to Gainesville. I am very happy to read that you found our hotel to be a good value when compared to some of the other hotels in the area. I was also glad to read that you were able to enjoy one our view rooms during your stay and that the room was to your liking. I hope that you consider our property again when you travel to Gainesville.

Reviewed 1 August 2011

My first impression of the hotel was that it was in a good location and very nice staff. They were very helpful when we asked about clubs near by and calling a cab for us. The rooms are a little tricky however. Our section must have been added on because it isn't connected to the lobby. It was sort of like a maze to go back to the lobby. They had a fitness center which wouldve been handy if I had time to use it! We didn't have time to go in the pool but it was a little small anyhow. The breakfast buffet was ok. Nothing special. They offered fruit and cereal, eggs, french toast, biscuit and gravy, hashbrowns. The rooms were nice. I was suprised to have a balcony. It was so pretty to see the lake behind the hotel. I would recommend this hotel for anyone traveling through gainesville. It was one of the nicer hotels in the area.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends

Thank you for staying with us during your trip to Gainesville and for sharing your experience with fellow Trip Advisor members. I am glad that our staff was able to make suggestions of clubs in the area and that they assisted by calling for a cab. I apologize that you had some troubles finding your room initially, it can be confusing that our rooms are not in the main building. However, I am glad that you found the room ok and that the rest of the stay was pleasant. If ever you need accomdations in Gainesville I hope that you will think of the Paramount Plaza.

Reviewed 30 July 2011

Had to make a quick trip to Gainesville. The Paramount had availability. Stayed there one other time so I thought I would try it again. I went by myself - a single woman. I chose this property since they have interior corridors and you need a room key in order to access the halls. I felt safer in this environment rather than a hotel with outside halls and room access.

The room is large, clean and a good value. Some amenities in the bathroom - nothing fancy but adequate. It is an older hotel, but management seems to take pride in keeping it clean and affordable. For a "no name" place, the Paramount delivers.

Did not eat there, but the menu prices looked reasonable. I did stop in for happy hour, couldn't resist the $2.00 cocktail price.

Will go back again for the third time. It's convenient, clean and satisfactory. Not luxury, but certainly worth the money.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for choosing the Paramount Plaza again during your trip to Gainesville. I am very happy that you found the property secure, the rooms clean and that you felt the Paramount was of a good value to you. I look forward to your staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed 29 July 2011

My partner and I live only about 2 miles from this hotel and stayed for one night because our bathroom had been demo'd. I wish we had a reason to stay longer! We went because the price was more than reasonable, and we couldn't believe what we got--an entire suite complete with a foyer, living room area, kitchenette, dining table, and a large patio on the lake! It was amazing! We will definitely recommend this place to anyone we know coming to Gainesville--and already have!

Room Tip: Spend the extra few dollars for the lakeview room.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for staying at the Paramount Plaza while work was being done on your home. I am glad that you found the room spacious and accomodating, and that you thought the overall value for the amount paid was good as well.

Reviewed 28 July 2011

I stayed at the Paramount for one night when taking my son to the University of Florida for orientation. I got the room cheap on Priceline. The hotel was clean, the beds were comfortable and the area was very convenient. The hotel is only 5 minutes from campus. No fancy amenities, but there was a coffee maker and flat panel TV. Plenty of hot water in the shower, the only bad comment I have came from my son. He took a shower first and when he came out, he laughed and said, "the shower could kill small animals with the pressure!" I attempted to adjust it when it was my turn, but the water still came out pretty strong. Not the worst that could have happened, it could have been a trickle! Overall we were happy with the one night stay at the Paramount.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business

Thank you for staying at the Paramount Plaza during orientation for the University of Florida. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay while visiting and I sincerely hope that you will consider us for future stays in the area. If you do, please also visit our website and sign up for our Gator Parent Relief program. It is free to join and provides Gator parents with exclusive discounts and benefits.