1,539 results
All reviews paramount plaza view of the lake breakfast buffet shands hospital shuttle service an older hotel front desk staff great customer service definitely stay here again marcel josh alligators campus banquet rates housekeeper weekends
Reviewed 18 June 2008

My husband and I stayed here for a total of 2 nights, 1 night on our way to Atlanta from South Florida, and then another night going back. I would have to say that our 1st night there was below average. The bathroom we got had poor drainage... While taking a shower in the tub, the water was up to our shins, so we had to wait a while for the water to drain before we could turn the water on again. The flush in the toilet worked fine, but it made constant noise because the tank never seemed to fill up.

Our 2nd night staying there was better. we ddin't have the same problem we had for the toilet.

In general, the sheets were okay. They were old, but clean. The elevator looked old and felt rickety. The outside of building 1, where we stayed for the second night was dirty. there were cobwebs and candy wrappers strewn about, and they looked like they've been there for quite a while. I advise you not to go out at night, or else you'll lose your parking spot and you might be forced to park farther away than you'd like.

All in all it was okay. The room was cheap and we weren't there for the amenities. we just wanted to find a place to spend the night and rest after a day of long driving.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Richard A, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Gainesville, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2013

We, at the Paramount, appreciate you taking your time to leave a review. Our property is undergoing major renovations including new mattresses, furniture, carpet, TV's, mini-fridges, and microwaves. Our full service restaurant is also being updated featuring a hot breakfast buffet along with great evening Happy Hour specials. We offer a shuttle service that runs between the airport, Shands hospital, and the University of Florida for guests' convenience. I hope you have a chance to give us another try to experience the changes. I'm sure you will be impressed with the difference in the property since this review was written. Contact us directly to book a reservation!

Reviewed 9 June 2008

I stayed at this hotel for one night and that was a night from hell. Once you get past the lobby where the courteous staff and live jazz band (happy hour) gives you the impression that you will have a pleasant stay, you realize that you are obviously mistaken. We entered our room and discovered shattered lights in the rank, dirty bathroom. Soon after the musty repairman arrived to fill our room with his disgusting odor and change the bulbs. Once we could turn on the lights, I noticed trails of ants in the tub, shower curtain (which was molded) on the towels, etc. I requested to change rooms, the second room was no better. I then requested cribs for our twin babies and one arrived with dirty sheets with spit up and poop stains STILL ON IT FROM THE LAST USE and they both had dead roaches underneath the crib sheets and mattresses. Not only that, but the bumpers and such around the crib were dirty and faded as if they had been in use since 1982. Needless to say, I was absolutely appalled and quickly removed the disgusting beds from our room. The double beds were bearable, although the sheets were brown and were obviously supposed to be white. My family actually had to weigh the option of sleeping in our car versus risking a night in this place. We ultimately decided that the beds would do better than the car. After this unbearable and uncomfortable hour or two of sleep (fully clothed for fear of the filth), we left the seedy slum that is somehow called a "resort". I would not wish a stay at this hotel on my worst enemy.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank KiKayLei
waynegainesville, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Gainesville, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2008

My name is Dan Berben, Gereral Manager of the Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites Gainesville Florida. I believe this reviewer has us mistaken for another Hotel. The Paramount Plaza does not nor has ever had a Jazz Band during our Happy Hour. I believe she may be talking about a different Hotel in Gainesville.

Reviewed 8 June 2008

Let me begin by saying the choices for fine or "nice" hotels in Gainesville are very limited. Being a college town may have something to do with this. The Paramount hotel is located off of South West 13th street which is just down the road from the college campus. The transition area just before the hotel entrance is some what sketchy and I would probably not jog down the side walks at night or take an after dinner stroll. All thou the area adjacent to the lake, just past the hotel lobby, is very pretty. The hotel cost us 49 dollars a night through Hotwire and we stayed two nights. We were located on the third floor and of course the elevator was broke. The rooms were clean, quite, ample space in the bathrooms, floors vacuumed, and maids were on time every morning. The lobby area offers a full service bar and dining, which is hard to come by for under 100 dollars a night. The parking is limited and very tight. We had issues cars illegally parked blocking us from backing up. After careful negotiation we made it to the main road.

If your traveling with family and looking for an area close to the campus for under 100 dollars a night I would recommend this hotel. Hopefully, they will have the elevator fixed by the time you leave. :-)

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business

Reviewed 8 May 2008

I travel to gainsville every 2 months and ONLY stay 2 or 3 nights. When i called the hotel rep. Carlos took my reservation. I had asked for a standard with 2 double beds. Upon arriving to the hotel it seem very nice, but when front desk manager or supervisor Check us in my mom & me we were put in a Queen size bed room that was NOT CLEANED AT ALL. Called the front desk from the phone in the hall way & was told to go back too the front desk. I spoke with the lady that checked us in she NEVER gave us an apology for the inconv. we got a rm with 2 double beds and a view to the lake. The rm room was nice but the sheets did not fit the matters, the bed cover was burned the tub was dirty the shower was broken. To take a Shower was a big mess. you had to turn the water on & off because the water would not drain, the mirror was dirty. The Manager never spoke with us. When we went to the rest. Justin was very nice and RON was very RUDE HE DID NOT CHECK HIS EMOTIONS before going in to work. Finally we are leaving at 6am and the two guys at the front desk were rude never wanted to give ther names. WE ONLY STOOD IN THE HOTEL BECAUSE EVERYTHING ELSE WAS FULLY BOOKED DUE TO THE BASKETBALL GAME. I hope this hotel PROPERTY MANAGER checks House keeping dept, Front desk, & THE ASST. MANAGER. FRONT DESK IS ALWAYS THE FACE OF ANY HOTEL.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank TheView077

Reviewed 7 May 2008

We stopped at the Paramount Plaza after seeing their ad in our AAA Tour Guide book. We said we would like to look at a room first before checking in. They asked for our credit card to get a key. We obliged understanding the need to do so. After walking and walking and walking we never could find the room. Looking at the hallways and grounds we felt the room probably wouldn't be very good so upon returning to the front desk, hot and tired, we said we wouldn't be staying. I asked if we could have a credit slip. The desk clerk said it hadn't been run through so there was no credit clip. When our credit card bill came there was the charge. I made a total of 4 calls requesting to be called back; 2 to Mr. Dan Bourbon and 2 to a Mrs. Pig. None were returned. Our credit card company had been notified and it is in dispute.

Would anyone want to stay at a "hotel" that is run in this manner?
They must be really hard up for business.

Stayed: March 2008