1,531 results
All reviewsparamount plazaview of the lakebreakfast buffetshands hospitalshuttle servicean older hotelfront desk staffgreat customer servicedefinitely stay here againmarceljoshalligatorscampusbanquetrateshousekeeperweekends
Reviewed 19 June 2008

We were picking up a car in Gainesville and did a one-way rental with Avis. Since the Paramount Plaza was one of two drop-off places for Avis in Gainesville, I decided to book a room for the night as a matter of convenience. The Manager's Special on their website made it extremely attractive. After booking, I checked TripAdvisor reviews. After reading the more recent reviews, I was seriously considering cancelling my reservation. However, I am glad that I didn't cancel.

The hotel is showing age, but I didn't see it as a reason not to stay there. The lobby is very attractive, and the check-in and check-out process was done quickly and courteously. We stayed in one of the Blue Heron suites with a balcony and lake view. The separate living room was huge. The dressing area had a refrigerator and microwave. The king-size bedroom was also very large. The view of the large oak trees covered in Spanish moss and the lake were like being sent back in time to old Florida. It was delightful to sit out on the balcony and just chill.

We ordered room service, and our dinner arrived exactly when we were told it would. The plates were wrapped in plastic wrap and covered, keeping the food hot. After the long drive and the warm meal, my husband went to bed and slept like a log the whole night. We were awakened by the alarm clock at 5:30 AM, which had been set by the previous guest. This is the first time that has happened to us. From now on, I'll check alarms before going to bed!

The Paramount Plaza is on a par with roadside chain hotels. It is the peaceful lakeside location that sets it apart.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Richard A, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Gainesville, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2013

We, at the Paramount, appreciate you taking your time to leave a review. Our property is undergoing major renovations including new mattresses, furniture, carpet, TV's, mini-fridges, and microwaves. Our full service restaurant is also being updated featuring a hot breakfast buffet along with great evening Happy Hour specials. We offer a shuttle service that runs between the airport, Shands hospital, and the University of Florida for guests' convenience. I hope you have a chance to give us another try to experience the changes. I'm sure you will be impressed with the difference in the property since this review was written. Contact us directly to book a reservation!

Reviewed 18 June 2008

Got this place via Priceline. Was in a bind regarding timing so I paid about the same as the hotel's current special. Read the reviews and saw that they were either pretty good or pretty bad so I hoped for the best. Greeted well at reception and check-in was smooth. Room was about average - not horrible but not better than a lot of Courtyards or Hilton Garden Inns I have stayed in. It had a dehumidifier which was already full when I got there. I checked around the beds for cleanliness and while it wasn't perfect it was okay for one night. As I mentioned, I paid via priceline. I have since discovered a charge of $2.66 from the hotel which I am disputing as I did not buy anything while I was there. Overall the place was fine for a quick night stay while traveling to the beach. I can't comment on any of the other resort amenities as I was only there for 10 hours.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family

Reviewed 18 June 2008

My husband and I stayed here for a total of 2 nights, 1 night on our way to Atlanta from South Florida, and then another night going back. I would have to say that our 1st night there was below average. The bathroom we got had poor drainage... While taking a shower in the tub, the water was up to our shins, so we had to wait a while for the water to drain before we could turn the water on again. The flush in the toilet worked fine, but it made constant noise because the tank never seemed to fill up.

Our 2nd night staying there was better. we ddin't have the same problem we had for the toilet.

In general, the sheets were okay. They were old, but clean. The elevator looked old and felt rickety. The outside of building 1, where we stayed for the second night was dirty. there were cobwebs and candy wrappers strewn about, and they looked like they've been there for quite a while. I advise you not to go out at night, or else you'll lose your parking spot and you might be forced to park farther away than you'd like.

All in all it was okay. The room was cheap and we weren't there for the amenities. we just wanted to find a place to spend the night and rest after a day of long driving.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 9 June 2008

I stayed at this hotel for one night and that was a night from hell. Once you get past the lobby where the courteous staff and live jazz band (happy hour) gives you the impression that you will have a pleasant stay, you realize that you are obviously mistaken. We entered our room and discovered shattered lights in the rank, dirty bathroom. Soon after the musty repairman arrived to fill our room with his disgusting odor and change the bulbs. Once we could turn on the lights, I noticed trails of ants in the tub, shower curtain (which was molded) on the towels, etc. I requested to change rooms, the second room was no better. I then requested cribs for our twin babies and one arrived with dirty sheets with spit up and poop stains STILL ON IT FROM THE LAST USE and they both had dead roaches underneath the crib sheets and mattresses. Not only that, but the bumpers and such around the crib were dirty and faded as if they had been in use since 1982. Needless to say, I was absolutely appalled and quickly removed the disgusting beds from our room. The double beds were bearable, although the sheets were brown and were obviously supposed to be white. My family actually had to weigh the option of sleeping in our car versus risking a night in this place. We ultimately decided that the beds would do better than the car. After this unbearable and uncomfortable hour or two of sleep (fully clothed for fear of the filth), we left the seedy slum that is somehow called a "resort". I would not wish a stay at this hotel on my worst enemy.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank KiKayLei
waynegainesville, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Gainesville, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2008

My name is Dan Berben, Gereral Manager of the Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites Gainesville Florida. I believe this reviewer has us mistaken for another Hotel. The Paramount Plaza does not nor has ever had a Jazz Band during our Happy Hour. I believe she may be talking about a different Hotel in Gainesville.

Reviewed 8 June 2008

Let me begin by saying the choices for fine or "nice" hotels in Gainesville are very limited. Being a college town may have something to do with this. The Paramount hotel is located off of South West 13th street which is just down the road from the college campus. The transition area just before the hotel entrance is some what sketchy and I would probably not jog down the side walks at night or take an after dinner stroll. All thou the area adjacent to the lake, just past the hotel lobby, is very pretty. The hotel cost us 49 dollars a night through Hotwire and we stayed two nights. We were located on the third floor and of course the elevator was broke. The rooms were clean, quite, ample space in the bathrooms, floors vacuumed, and maids were on time every morning. The lobby area offers a full service bar and dining, which is hard to come by for under 100 dollars a night. The parking is limited and very tight. We had issues cars illegally parked blocking us from backing up. After careful negotiation we made it to the main road.

If your traveling with family and looking for an area close to the campus for under 100 dollars a night I would recommend this hotel. Hopefully, they will have the elevator fixed by the time you leave. :-)

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business