“Hidden fees hell but great hotel”

Wyndham Garden Gainesville
Ranked #29 of 47 Hotels in Gainesville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I average 100 hotel nights per year over the past 10 years. I have NEVER had to pay a fee to check in early. I arrived at 1pm and so the extra was $20...The charged me a $2.50 amenity fee, for soap and shampoo?... My $7.50 omelet and two $2 coffees ($11.50) somehow turned into $17.95...I asked for a late check out, but they said they were full, but on my bill, I noticed there was an option for late check out fee... Because I like reliability, I will NEVER stay here again as a Business person I need flexibility.

Other than this, the hotel was very well kept, the rooms very nice and the location for UF and Shands hospital perfect. The breakfast was great, the staff was superior and the property was well maintained. I despise opportunistic practices... I will never return.

1  Thank kahoru w
Richard A, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Gainesville, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2013

We appreciate you leaving us a review. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the property while you were here. I see that you experienced out Lakeside Bar and Grill which is our full service restaurant. I hope you were able to make use of our other amenities that we offer, such as our shuttle service and business center. I would love the opportunity to discuss the fees that you mentioned further. Please feel free to contact me directly using the phone number below.

(352) 377-4000 ext. 3420

Reviewed 20 October 2013

The hotel is immaculate. Close to Shands Hospital and The University of Florida. Hotel offers free shuttle to Shands and Gainesville Airport. The restaurant has a delicious breakfast buffet and the lunch and dinner menu is incredible. Laundry facility onsite which was handy because we had an extended stay. Room was very clean and hotel staff are very friendly and professional. I highly recommend the Paramount Plaza Hotel and Suites! 5 stars!

Room Tip: Select the double queen room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Richard A, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Gainesville, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Thank you so much for your review! I'm glad to see that you enjoyed your stay we us and made use of our amenities, such as the on-site laundry machines. I hope you enjoyed one of our lake view rooms overlooking Bivens Arm Lake Wildlife Preserve. it really adds a special experience here at the hotel. If you wish to stay with us again, please contact us directly to book at the lowest rates. From all of us here at the Paramount, we appreciate your business and hope to see you again!

Reviewed 19 October 2013

Just moved to Gainesville from Ireland for a job opportunity. I had originally booked in here for one week but ended up needing to stay for a month due to apartment issues. The staff could not have been more helpful and accommodating!! Everyday you were greeted with a smile and nothing was ever too much trouble. Richard, Billy and Travis on the front desk were so friendly and helpful and Marcel who drives the free shuttle gave me VIP treatment everyday. I would highly recommend this hotel if your looking for somewhere that truly cares about their customers, is clean and well maintained, is a good location to all amenities and who above all give 100%.

• Stayed: September 2013

Thank you for your lovely review! We loved having you stay with us. We do all that we can to offer a quality guest experience for every stay. I'm glad we were able to offer shuttle service to and from Shands hospital while your apartment was settling. Hopefully you'll remember the Paramount next time you need a hotel room in Gainesville. We'd love to have you stay again!

Reviewed 18 October 2013

This hotel was actually a Conference Center, it seemed nice from outside, the lobby, bar etc. However the rooms smelled musty, the bed was "incredibly" uncomfortable and the pillows were not pillows for sleep. But rather the size of small decor pillows, needless to say we had a very restless night. I awoke up at 5am due to pain in my side, which one day later i still have. The price was very cheap that should have tipped me off...It boosts about being on a lake, your not! you have a glimpse of one. If you smoke their are "no" designated smoking areas. Overall I will choose Motel 6 next time over this hotel. I ask for some type of comp due to no sleep, and an am appointment at Shands Cancer Hospital. No such courtesy shown, on the bright side the Lounge had a very nice bartender. We had a drink made specifically for my husband and did it till he got it right, then waited on our daughter and left for dinner elsewhere. Caution hallways are not well lit and rather long...Restaurant only offers certain items and at a price, I just cannot recommend this hotel I really disliked it so much even the price does not compensate for a good nights sleep!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank lolashideaway
Richard A, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Gainesville, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2013

I'm sorry to hear that you had a negative experience with us. We are, in fact, a Hotel and Conference center with many different style ballrooms to choose from if you are looking to hold an event. As you may have noticed, our property is undergoing major room renovations which include new mattresses, carpeting, furniture, microwaves and mini-fridges. I have received many compliments on our new mattresses so hopefully you will come back one day and try them out. Our property is located directly on Bivens Arm Lake and we do offer rooms with an outstanding views of the lake. It does not sound like you opted for one of these rooms but if you contact us directly to book your reservation, we can make sure to put you in one. Our pool and gazebo as well as our Lakeside Bar and Grill overlook the lake.

As you may have noticed, our property is Green Leader on TripAdvisor. All of our rooms and balconies are non-smoking to reduce our environmental footprint and to ensure a quality stay for all of our guests. If a guest chooses to smoke, we DO offer designated smoking areas between our buildings or in the lakeside pool area.

I'm glad you were able to enjoy our Lakeside Bar and Grill. It is a full service restaurant offering breakfast, lunch, and dinner so I'm sure there were plenty of items to choose from. We also have great happy hour specials on drinks and appetizers every evening.

Overall, I do apologize that we did not meet your expectations. I hope that you would contact me directly if you wish to stay again so I may personally oversee your reservation. All of us here at the Paramount Plaza strive for 100% guest satisfaction and will do all that we can to ensure that you have a wonderful stay.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

Nicely landscaped grounds. Didn't have time to enjoy the pool, etc since this was a business trip. Convenient location. Bed was comfortable. Rooms were a little dated as this is an older hotel, but they have tried to freshen up the property recently.

Room Tip: Ask for room in newly updated building.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Richard A, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Gainesville, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Thank you for your review! As you know, our property is undergoing major renovations including new carpet, mattresses, furniture, microwaves, and mini-fridges. The property was built in the 70's but the renovations are making a huge difference. I would also suggest that you take advantage of our lake view rooms overlooking Bivens Arm Lake. Contact us directly to book your next stay. We look forward to hearing from you again.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

This was my fourth trip to this hotel. I have returned annually for the last 4 years due to the fine service and caring attitude of the staff, especially Allen, the bar host in the lounge. I suffered a personal tragedy while there the first time, and his concern and graciousness helped tremendously. He continues to offer the same great service today and recognizes me to this day although I am only there one weekend a year. The rooms are very comfortable and spacious and kept wonderfully clean by the staff. Destine was in charge of room this trip and upheld the high standards I have come to expect from this hotel. I will stay there any time I am in the Gainesville area.

Room Tip: I have stayed in several areas of the hotel and have had an enjoyable stay in all.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Richard A, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Gainesville, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Thank you for your review! I'm so glad to see that we were able to help you with your visits to Gainesville. Our staff is focused on 100% guest satisfaction and it's great to hear our employees recognized by name. I hope you contact us again for your next stay to book at the lowest rate! We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

I recently visited the Paramount on business. The staff was friendly and the beds were comfortable. Another thing that I liked were the outlets built in to the lamps for easy phone charging and convenient laptop use. The in-room fridge and microwave were also great to have. The room had a nice view and it was a good price. Now, some of the negatives....I was pleased to see that the ice machine was right outside of my room only to find out that it didn't work; I had to go to the next floor up. The tv had a fuzzy picture. I also thought it was a bit tacky to have the list of all the money they were going to charge me if I steal their towels and bedding next to all the other things telling me what a valued guest I am...perhaps that can be conveyed some other way. All in all my stay was okay, but if I go back to Gainesville anytime soon, I may look into other choices as well...

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for leaving us a review of your stay. I appreciate you pointing out some of the issues that you found so that they may be addressed, Our property is focused on 100% guest satisfaction and the only way we can grow is with feedback like this. We appreciate your business and I hope you contact us when you come back to Gainesville so that we can accommodate your needs as best as possible.