“repeat customer”

Wyndham Garden Gainesville
Ranked #28 of 47 Hotels in Gainesville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 26 August 2008

A glitch here n there, on next visit FIXED or a new one, this place HAS IT ALL, GOOD, stayed full week last time, complainers should go to front desk immediately or stay on I-75 off ramps hotels especially if all you want is a place to sleep.
alexana107@isp.com

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank olbag
Richard A, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Gainesville, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2013

We, at the Paramount, appreciate you taking your time to leave a review. Our property is undergoing major renovations including new mattresses, furniture, carpet, TV's, mini-fridges, and microwaves. Our full service restaurant is also being updated featuring a hot breakfast buffet along with great evening Happy Hour specials. We offer a shuttle service that runs between the airport, Shands hospital, and the University of Florida for guests' convenience. I hope you have a chance to give us another try to experience the changes. I'm sure you will be impressed with the difference in the property since this review was written. Contact us directly to book a reservation!

Richard@paramountplaza.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,402)

Reviewed 18 August 2008

I booked the room over Hotwire. I did not know anything about the hotel, but went to their website then to Trip Advisor. I saw on the website what looked like a very nice hotel from the pictures they have posted. And on Trip Advisor, lets be realistic, you are not going to please all the people all the time. What i saw was either highly satisfied or very dissapointed. Some people just look for things to complain about. If you want a 5 star with all the bells and whistles go ahead and pay $250 or more a night. We brought our son from Louisiana to Gainesville to enroll him at the University of Florida. My wife was concerened because of the great rate I recieved. Once we got there we were very pleasantly surprised. The room was nice and clean. The restaurant and bar area are really nice and the food is good. The checkin and checkout was handled very professionally. No problem for me with the wireless internet connection. There is plenty of parking, but everyone can not park by the front door all at once. The pool area wa nice and clean with a beautiful view over the lake. This will be my first choice everytime I go to Gainesville.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank overshot99

Reviewed 31 July 2008

I am surprised that this hotel is considered a 3.5 to 4 star hotel based on Priceline ratings because I would have given it a 1.5 to 2 stars. The inside looks as if it used to be a nursing home.

1. Pros:
=Front desk was very courteous. They gave us a courtesy call when we got to our room to ask if we needed anything
=Very affordable price with special AAA rate.
=The shower is wheelchair accessible (you can roll right in). It comes with a tub chair (like the ones you get from Medical supply stores) and large metal handle bar, so it is great for disabled people.
=Clean bed sheets.
=Air conditioning works.
=Door to each building requires your key card, so there is some security.

2. Cons:
=Dirty shower and bathroom. The towels looked like they were 50 years old because the terrycloth was completely worn away.
=Contrary to what it says on the website, the bathrooms are not renovated. By "renovated", they mean that the bathroom sink faucets are new, but everything else is really old.
=Musty smell in the hallways and rooms
=Carpet is dirty.
=No closet.
=Parking lot is dimly lit at night, so it feels scary to go out to your car.
=Very very old buildings.

Since we booked this hotel for <$50, I really can't complain too much. It's a cheap place where you can crash for one night if you need to make a pit stop during a road trip. If you pay $100 for this place, you are paying too much.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business

Reviewed 25 July 2008

A Very dirty hotel. My first impression was "wow this looks like a rundown mental institution". There was trash piled up outside the building door. Inside the hallways were dirty, lights flickering very weird. The non-smoking room stunk really badly like cigarettes. The sheets, comforter and carpets were dirty. They charged my credit car and $2.66 even though I paid in full thru Hotwire. Hotwire refuses to refund my money and still claims it is a 3 star hotel. The worst place I have stayed in!!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank TigerLily2424

Reviewed 23 June 2008

The room was nice, Ok clean, nice deck, not a good view. The shower drained slowly, but when I informed the hotel, they promptly sent maintenance over and fixed it. There was free internet on a computer in the lobby, usage in 30 minute intervals if people were waiting. Generally, it was a very pleasant stay for the money.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business

Reviewed 19 June 2008

We were picking up a car in Gainesville and did a one-way rental with Avis. Since the Paramount Plaza was one of two drop-off places for Avis in Gainesville, I decided to book a room for the night as a matter of convenience. The Manager's Special on their website made it extremely attractive. After booking, I checked TripAdvisor reviews. After reading the more recent reviews, I was seriously considering cancelling my reservation. However, I am glad that I didn't cancel.

The hotel is showing age, but I didn't see it as a reason not to stay there. The lobby is very attractive, and the check-in and check-out process was done quickly and courteously. We stayed in one of the Blue Heron suites with a balcony and lake view. The separate living room was huge. The dressing area had a refrigerator and microwave. The king-size bedroom was also very large. The view of the large oak trees covered in Spanish moss and the lake were like being sent back in time to old Florida. It was delightful to sit out on the balcony and just chill.

We ordered room service, and our dinner arrived exactly when we were told it would. The plates were wrapped in plastic wrap and covered, keeping the food hot. After the long drive and the warm meal, my husband went to bed and slept like a log the whole night. We were awakened by the alarm clock at 5:30 AM, which had been set by the previous guest. This is the first time that has happened to us. From now on, I'll check alarms before going to bed!

The Paramount Plaza is on a par with roadside chain hotels. It is the peaceful lakeside location that sets it apart.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 June 2008

Got this place via Priceline. Was in a bind regarding timing so I paid about the same as the hotel's current special. Read the reviews and saw that they were either pretty good or pretty bad so I hoped for the best. Greeted well at reception and check-in was smooth. Room was about average - not horrible but not better than a lot of Courtyards or Hilton Garden Inns I have stayed in. It had a dehumidifier which was already full when I got there. I checked around the beds for cleanliness and while it wasn't perfect it was okay for one night. As I mentioned, I paid via priceline. I have since discovered a charge of $2.66 from the hotel which I am disputing as I did not buy anything while I was there. Overall the place was fine for a quick night stay while traveling to the beach. I can't comment on any of the other resort amenities as I was only there for 10 hours.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family