“great room”

Wyndham Garden Gainesville
Ranked #29 of 47 Hotels in Gainesville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 10 January 2009

The room I recall was 31/2 star quality with a balcony and very partial view of lake. Yes the parking was full. Don't go there on your Honeymoon, but if your on a budget it's a great place for the money. If you need an impressive entrance and lounge go elsewhere. If you just need a great room then go. I may go next week.

• Stayed: January 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Richard A, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Gainesville, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2013

We, at the Paramount, appreciate you taking your time to leave a review. Our property is undergoing major renovations including new mattresses, furniture, carpet, TV's, mini-fridges, and microwaves. Our full service restaurant is also being updated featuring a hot breakfast buffet along with great evening Happy Hour specials. We offer a shuttle service that runs between the airport, Shands hospital, and the University of Florida for guests' convenience. I hope you have a chance to give us another try to experience the changes. I'm sure you will be impressed with the difference in the property since this review was written. Contact us directly to book a reservation!

Reviewed 20 November 2008

As a business traveler who frequents competing hotels and stays in over 100 hotels a year, next time I will stay elsewhere.
Why?
Yes they have free internet, free parking and a fridge in the room however..

1) No free breakfast. - I saw the restaurant was empty - hmm wonder why?

2) They charge an "amenity fee" -
This amenity fee is outlined on poster at the front desk in great detail - I guess people were complaining.
Amenity fee is for stuff that should be included in the main hotel fee and not separated in my opinion. The amenity fee is for stuff that normally comes with a room ie: in room coffee (which they state is free on their website but isn't), wireless internet, and loads of other things.

They separate the amenity fee from the hotel fee - which some companies will not pay because they think it may be movies or in room dining.

I couldn't get a good answer from anyone why it was separate but shrugs is what I got..

The hotel is built on a slope. So if you think you started on the first floor it was really the second and no one tell you this.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
3  Thank spachick

Reviewed 12 September 2008

The staff was nice enough and tried to be accomodating, but the hotel is old and musty. The carpet is dirty, the bedding is dirty, old and snagged, the blow dryer was broken and ready to catch on fire, the glass sliding door lock wouldn't latch, the restaurant supervisor had a very loud shouting match with the waiter where everyone could hear, the doors are scratched up and dirty, the entry doors were filthy with fingerprints, the lighting is bad, my parents room had ants all over AND IN THE BED, the microwave wouldn't cook anything, the bathtubs need refinishing, the bathroom tile is old and in need of cleaning, need I say more. We were credited one night by the manager, but that doesn't change the fact that the hotel needs some very serious renovation. If possible, I'd advise anyone to spend the extra dollars and book at the La Quinta or Hampton Inn down the street. This hotel just wasn't worth how dirty it was. If everyone hadn't been so stressed by our circumstances at Shands Hospital, I would have moved in a heart beat.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank gatormom33

Reviewed 1 September 2008

We booked a lake view suite a week prior to arrival, upon arrival we checked into the hotel - which appeared very old and apartment like... I entered my room to find a small 2 queen size bedroom.. when I called the front desk, I was told..." We didnt have your suite so we gave you the room you are in"

I was never informed at check-in that my room was not available although by the looks of the hotel, I don't think it would have been any nicer... the sheets were dirty with stains, the bathroom tub was clugged, AC blew out damp cold air.. Terrible stay, considering I was seeing a doctor the next morning....

The hotel ended up charging me $50 for the stay, which was cheap, but not even worth it...

If you are want a nice place go to the hilton!!! This place is terrible!!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Janettubbs1

Reviewed 26 August 2008

A glitch here n there, on next visit FIXED or a new one, this place HAS IT ALL, GOOD, stayed full week last time, complainers should go to front desk immediately or stay on I-75 off ramps hotels especially if all you want is a place to sleep.
alexana107@isp.com

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank olbag

Reviewed 18 August 2008

I booked the room over Hotwire. I did not know anything about the hotel, but went to their website then to Trip Advisor. I saw on the website what looked like a very nice hotel from the pictures they have posted. And on Trip Advisor, lets be realistic, you are not going to please all the people all the time. What i saw was either highly satisfied or very dissapointed. Some people just look for things to complain about. If you want a 5 star with all the bells and whistles go ahead and pay $250 or more a night. We brought our son from Louisiana to Gainesville to enroll him at the University of Florida. My wife was concerened because of the great rate I recieved. Once we got there we were very pleasantly surprised. The room was nice and clean. The restaurant and bar area are really nice and the food is good. The checkin and checkout was handled very professionally. No problem for me with the wireless internet connection. There is plenty of parking, but everyone can not park by the front door all at once. The pool area wa nice and clean with a beautiful view over the lake. This will be my first choice everytime I go to Gainesville.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank overshot99

Reviewed 31 July 2008

I am surprised that this hotel is considered a 3.5 to 4 star hotel based on Priceline ratings because I would have given it a 1.5 to 2 stars. The inside looks as if it used to be a nursing home.

1. Pros:
=Front desk was very courteous. They gave us a courtesy call when we got to our room to ask if we needed anything
=Very affordable price with special AAA rate.
=The shower is wheelchair accessible (you can roll right in). It comes with a tub chair (like the ones you get from Medical supply stores) and large metal handle bar, so it is great for disabled people.
=Clean bed sheets.
=Air conditioning works.
=Door to each building requires your key card, so there is some security.

2. Cons:
=Dirty shower and bathroom. The towels looked like they were 50 years old because the terrycloth was completely worn away.
=Contrary to what it says on the website, the bathrooms are not renovated. By "renovated", they mean that the bathroom sink faucets are new, but everything else is really old.
=Musty smell in the hallways and rooms
=Carpet is dirty.
=No closet.
=Parking lot is dimly lit at night, so it feels scary to go out to your car.
=Very very old buildings.

Since we booked this hotel for <$50, I really can't complain too much. It's a cheap place where you can crash for one night if you need to make a pit stop during a road trip. If you pay $100 for this place, you are paying too much.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business