“OK for the value”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Roanoke, Virginia
“OK for the value”
Reviewed 21 February 2009

Disclaimer - my husband and I arrived at the hotel 4:30 am after a very late flight and used the hotel room only to grab a few hours sleep and a shower. Our room and the common areas of the building we were in were on the old side - definitely in need of renovation. The room seemed clean enough, and the bed was comfortable, although I wondered if the sheets had been cleaned (a few random hairs that did not belong to either of us). As we checked out, we were informed of the $2.70 "amenity" fee, which seemed like a scam as there was certainly nothing in our room that justified paying extra. My brief impression is that I would not want to stay for a long time, or pay a lot of money for a room there - but it was fine for our purpose.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Va_Hiker
Richard A, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Gainesville, responded to this review, 27 May 2013
We, at the Paramount, appreciate you taking your time to leave a review. Our property is undergoing major renovations including new mattresses, furniture, carpet, TV's, mini-fridges, and microwaves. Our full service restaurant is also being updated featuring a hot breakfast buffet along with great evening Happy Hour specials. We offer a shuttle service that runs between the airport, Shands hospital, and the University of Florida for guests' convenience. I hope you have a chance to give us another try to experience the changes. I'm sure you will be impressed with the difference in the property since this review was written. Contact us directly to book a reservation!

Richard@paramountplaza.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
St. Petersburg
Reviewed 13 February 2009

My parents and I saw very poor reviews written about this hotel on another site. We decided to take a chance since we got such a great deal. In complete opposition to the reviews we read, The hotel was clean, had a light pleasant fragrance throughout the lobby and halls and had a very hip decor. The service was excellent from breakfast, to speedy maintenance, to fix our toilet. The weight room was small but full of working and had new equipment. Appropriate for a hotel like this. I was surprised to even see a workout room at all. I think some consumers are expecting too much for the price. In light of this being a 2.5 star hotel it was way above average. It was nestled next to a very picturesque lake and the pool area was beautiful as well as the rooms. They even had a small Starbucks station next to the lobby area. I think this hotel was given a bum wrap and I even took pictures. In this bad economy I wanted to give kudos to a job well done to this hard working hotel.

Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank KCShannon
ParamountManager, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Garden Gainesville, responded to this review, 12 March 2009
We greatly appreciate your wonderful feedback and glad you enjoyed your stay. Thank you so much for posting pictures that highlight the beautiful features our hotel has to offer. Times are tough and we strive to provide an affordable service to all of our guests. Its a pleasure to here your feedback and we hope you stay with us again.
Warm Regards,
Meredith Wood
Front Office Manager
Tampa, FL
Reviewed 6 February 2009

This hotel is horrible. I booked it based on its reasonable price and recent better reviews. The room was smelly when I arrived--overly chemically scented. I went to use the restroom, and someone had used the toilet and not flushed. I called the front desk and was told I'd get a call back soon to see what they could do about the chemical smell, which bothered my allergies. I didn't hear back and after waiting more than an hour, I left to go study for my finals at UF. When I got back to the room, there was no message from the front desk. I decided to take a shower. The water pressure from the showerhead was very strong--painful, even. The water leaked out of the tub surround, and when I stepped out of the tub I slipped on the wet ceramic tile and landed hard. When I could finally get up I called the front desk to tell them what had happened and they said they'd send someone up to check on the shower. The maintenance man arrived about 30 minutes later, said everything appeared to be working properly, then said he'd send up a manager to see if I was okay. Another 30 minutes passed before anyone showed up. The manager was the food and beverage manager. He said he'd talk to the GM the next morning and comped me breakfast. I went to the front desk the next afternoon (after my finals) and was told no one was there who could help me. They said to come back the next morning. I explained that the point of talking to someone on Saturday was to get my money back so I could go to another hotel. They looked at me as though I was an alien. I came back the next (Sunday) morning and was told that nothing could be done to help me. I was out $130, hurt my back and hip, and couldn't concentrate on my finals because of the pain I was in. I hope nobody ever stays here again.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank queenfan726
ParamountManager, Manager at Wyndham Garden Gainesville, responded to this review, 12 March 2009
First, I would like to thank you for your feedback regarding the hotel. We are always looking for ways to improve our product and service, both through postive reviews and constructive criticism. We apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay here, and would like to address your concerns briefly.

We regret that the chemical smell bothered your allergies, the hotel does try to limit using an overpowering amount of chemical in our rooms, however cleanliness and sanitation are a top priority here.

Realizing the the tile floor in tha bathroom can be a slip and fall hazard, the hotel takes as many protective measures as possible, inlcuding providing a long shower curtain liner to keep water in the tub and a bath mat for wet feet exiting the shower stall. Once the desk was notified, you were visited by the Food & Beverage Manager because during the weekend (usually the highest occupancy days) our management team rotates Manager on Duty to ensure that someone is available to respond to any guest needs.

I know that he offered a complimentary breakfast for the inconvenience, and we apologize that it was not sufficient to overcome your complaints. Should you have still wanted to check out at that time, the hotel would have gladly refunded any monies for unused nights left on your stay.

Again our deepest apologies for not exceeding your expectations during your visit with us. We urge you to revisit the hotel so that we can demonstrate our committment to excellent accommodations and service.

Warm regards,
Meredith

Travellers are raving about these Gainesville hotels

Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed 3 February 2009

Booked through Priceline because I checked all the 2.5 star hotels before bidding and the Paramount was the only one I didn't want. I thought my chances were pretty good to get one of the others and I had not been impressed after staying at the Paramount several years ago while my son was at UF. Of course, the Paramount was what I got and later (my fault) checked their prices at their web site and I overpaid.
I was in Gainesville visiting my daughter . Nice hotels are hard to come by there with it being a college town but this was terrible. No way was it more than a barely 2 star. I demanded to be moved from the first room they gave me when I saw how dirty the carpet was and 2 of the 3 lamps had no bulbs. The second room was worse. The so-called new pillowtop mattresses are lousy mattresses (the plastic corner guards are loose and sticking out with sharp pins to get scratched on) with a feather topper. The sheets barely covered the topper and certainly not the mattress so the whole thing slid around all night. The carpet was dirty in this room, too, didn't look like it had even been vacuumed. The lighting consisted of three lamps with very low wattage, there was mold or mildew all around the glass sliding door, it smelled, and to top it all off was next to the elevator with doors that squeaked and kept me awake all night. My daughter was going to stay with me just so we could have more time together but she got up and said she would never be able to sleep with all the noise,(you could hear every word spoken in the halls) and went to her place.
Its really a shame as it has a great setting on a lake but the grounds are unkempt, with debris and building materials lying around in the grassy areas and you could barely see the lake because the vegetation was so thick and high. The chairs on the miniscule terraces looked like they hadn't been cleaned in months. Priceline needs to change the rating for this hotel.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank dribbler
Thank you for your recent comments regarding the hotel. It is regretful that you initially were upset with having booked our hotel on Priceline, and more upsetting that your mind was not changed by your visit.

I assure that the hotel is deserving of its rating with Priceline, and we are stringently inspected routinely in order to keep our ratings on their site.

I apologize that the carpet was not up to your expcatations during your stay, we are in the process of systematically renovating rooms, complete with new carpet and furniture. I am surprised most of all by the negative feedback reagrding the beds, as this is a feature we are almost always complimented on. The pillowtop portion of the mattress is very thick, and has become necessary to replace our entire inventory of sheets for deeper pocket ones since the pillowtop creates quite a height on the bed.

The noise in the hallways can be a challenge for any hotel. As much as we impress upon our guests the importance of keeping noise levels to a minimum in hallways, especially in the evenings, it is unfortunate that some of our guests are not courteous while traveling to and from their room. Whenever possible, we attempt to honor all requests regarding placement away from elevators or building entrances, as we want all of our guests to enjoy a restful night's sleep.

Please accept our sincere apology for the issues regarding you stay. We invite you to book directly though our website, where we offer a best rate guarantee. You can choose your room type prefences and enter requests for room placement at the time of booking. We look forward to having an oppotunity to better serve you in the future.

Best regards,
Meredith
ALBANY, GA
Reviewed 10 January 2009

The room I recall was 31/2 star quality with a balcony and very partial view of lake. Yes the parking was full. Don't go there on your Honeymoon, but if your on a budget it's a great place for the money. If you need an impressive entrance and lounge go elsewhere. If you just need a great room then go. I may go next week.

• Liked — VERY NICE ROOM
  • Disliked — NON-ADJOINING BUILDINGS
  • Stayed January 2008

Forestville, Maryland, USA
Reviewed 20 November 2008

As a business traveler who frequents competing hotels and stays in over 100 hotels a year, next time I will stay elsewhere.
Why?
Yes they have free internet, free parking and a fridge in the room however..

1) No free breakfast. - I saw the restaurant was empty - hmm wonder why?

2) They charge an "amenity fee" -
This amenity fee is outlined on poster at the front desk in great detail - I guess people were complaining.
Amenity fee is for stuff that should be included in the main hotel fee and not separated in my opinion. The amenity fee is for stuff that normally comes with a room ie: in room coffee (which they state is free on their website but isn't), wireless internet, and loads of other things.

They separate the amenity fee from the hotel fee - which some companies will not pay because they think it may be movies or in room dining.

I couldn't get a good answer from anyone why it was separate but shrugs is what I got..

The hotel is built on a slope. So if you think you started on the first floor it was really the second and no one tell you this.

• Liked — Clean
  • Disliked — Amenity Fee
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
3 Thank spachick

Dunedin, Florida
Reviewed 12 September 2008

The staff was nice enough and tried to be accomodating, but the hotel is old and musty. The carpet is dirty, the bedding is dirty, old and snagged, the blow dryer was broken and ready to catch on fire, the glass sliding door lock wouldn't latch, the restaurant supervisor had a very loud shouting match with the waiter where everyone could hear, the doors are scratched up and dirty, the entry doors were filthy with fingerprints, the lighting is bad, my parents room had ants all over AND IN THE BED, the microwave wouldn't cook anything, the bathtubs need refinishing, the bathroom tile is old and in need of cleaning, need I say more. We were credited one night by the manager, but that doesn't change the fact that the hotel needs some very serious renovation. If possible, I'd advise anyone to spend the extra dollars and book at the La Quinta or Hampton Inn down the street. This hotel just wasn't worth how dirty it was. If everyone hadn't been so stressed by our circumstances at Shands Hospital, I would have moved in a heart beat.

• Liked — the staff was the best they could be for what they had to work with
  • Disliked — the accomodation itself
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family