“Great overnight”

Ranked #19 of 44 Hotels in Gainesville
Iowa City, Iowa, United States
“Great overnight”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

After a very tough day of driving, you can always count on Marriott. The Hotel had our reservation in order, the property was easily located. Beautiful and well cared for. Close to interstate yet a snap to locate. Bed was great and room was really quiet. Clean and nice, great Wifi

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
AsstGMA, General Manager at Courtyard Gainesville, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Thank you for staying with us during your travels! I appreciate your feedback about our hotel very much. My team works very hard everyday to ensure that we provide the best experience for all of our guests whether they be travelling on business or pleasure. If you travel through Gainesville again in the future, please consider staying with us again. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Naples, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

I am not normally a Marriott person & this place reminded me why..
The beds sucked !!!
The rooms smelled musty & damp.
Initially, I was not going to stay in Gainesville because of the university, I figured the hotels were run down simply due to the # of visitors.
I was right..

I booked on priceline to save some $$$ got the room for like $80 total.
Anyhow, the only reason that I gave this place 3 stars was due to the young man "Tyler" at the front desk, his service was phenomenal!! catering to my every need.. If I had a hotel I would have him as my concierge. When I wanted to change rooms he met me at the elevator with new keys... Simply awesome service..

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your exoperience with us.
I am sorry that our hotel didn't meet your expectations. I can appreciate your feedback and hope that you will try us again in the future. We are currently awaiting a complete conversion of our guest rooms to the newest Courtyard theme and are excited about the impact it will have on our guests satisfaction.
I also wanted to thank you for mentioning Tyler's service. I believe I have one of the best team's in the city and Tyler is a great example of our dedication to customer service. I will certainly share your comments with him and the rest of the team.
Thank you again for staying with us and for taking the time to share your thoughts.
Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

Usual fine Marriott quality. This Courtyard is well located near I-75. Clean, well maintained, fine and happy service. Lovely pool and hot tub. Exercise room clean and new treadmills. Room is fine, everything worked well. No complaints whatsoever. I am a fan of Marriott and this Courtyard is really up to snuff. Can walk to restaurants and shopping mall across the street. Will stay again when in town.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience! I know you have options whien travelling and I appreciate you choosing Marriott for your lodging needs.
My team is always ready to go above and beyond to ensure that each guest has the best possible stay. I'm very pleased that we were able to deliver that for you! We would welcome you back should your travels bring you to Gainesville again in the future. Thank you again!
Mssachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night for work. The staff was very friendly and responsive. I got a chicken Caesar salad at the cafe which was surprisingly good. There are lots of chain restaurant options and a target nearby. I did feel like the floors were thin- I was on the top floor so not an issue for me but I was worried the people below could hear me walking around.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
I appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel!
Your feedback is greatly appreciate- Especially with regard to the Bistro. I'm very glad that you enjoyed your salad. We offer a variety of different options for both breakfast and dinner and have special seasonal menu offerings that change each quarter. I hope that we can provide you with the same great service on your next trip to Gainesville. Thank you again!
Lake Placid, Florida, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Marriott Gainesville is our favorite place to stay in Gainesville. The location is convenient and there are many eateries near by. Rooms are clean and staff is polite and helpful. Good parking and other amenities.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
AsstGMA, General Manager at Courtyard Gainesville, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Thank you so mych for taking the time to post your review of our property. I agreatly appreciate your kind words and confidence in the experience my team provides! We appreciate your loyalty to both Marriott, and to our hotel. Whenever your travels bring you back to Gainesville, we will be happy to have you stay with us again!
Frankfort, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

This was my second stay at this Courtyard location. We arrived late at night (more like early am) and they put us in a room (I was travelling with my husband and 2 of my daughters) with 2 beds and the minute we opened the door, the odor of mold and mildew hit us in the face! I said there's NO way I'm staying in this room all night! The smell was nauseating.

We immediately went to the front desk aand told them what the problem was. They apologized, profusely, and assigned another room - right across the hall. We moved over to that room, walked in, and it had a faint odor of mildew. My daughters started complaining about the smell and I said, "welcome to Florida!" The girls went to sleep right away as they had been asleep in the car for awhile. As I went to get ready for bed, I noticed the smell got stronger the closer I got to the bathroom. I walked to where the shower and toilet were and there it was: the host of the mildew smell! It was the shower curtain. There was also quite a bit of hair in the tub and on the floor there that I KNOW wasn't ours! But we were all so tired - I think at that point, I was the last one awake so it didn't make much sense to go downstairs again and then wake everybody and move again, so I went to sleep and closes the bathroom door.

The front desk the next morning - we were in a hurry as we had to get moving early. Because my husband is a preferred guest, we get our checkout papers dropped at our door, so we left in a hurry amd the front desk was quite busy at that time. We never got to report our second room to them.

Bottom line is this: I feel we were overcharged for what we got, butn it's our fault for not reporting it to anyone.

We've stayed in many, many properties owned by Marriott and we usually have time to let them know if something is not up to their standards. But this time it just wasn't possible.

Courtyard by Marriott, Gainesville - scrub every square inch (yes, even up top of the walls) of your bathrooms and wash every shower curtain in BLEACH! I think you'll find that that will diminish the problem, if not cure it altogether. But it can't be a "one-n-done" event. It needs to be done, maybe, once a week at LEAST!

I would stay here again if the rate were more reasonable for what we received. Customer service is NOT lacking at this location - just maybe a little more attention to mold and mildew since we are in Florida!

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
AsstGMA, General Manager at Courtyard Gainesville, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience you experienced at my hotel. I greatly appreciate your loyalty and am very dissapointed that this most recent trip was less than you expected.

I completely appreciate all feedback from our guests- Both positive and negative. It provides me with an insight that can assist us in advancing our service for future guests. For your feedback especially, thank you. Please trust that I have already made steps to address this lapse in service with our housekeeping team. My goal is to ensure that a similar issue has no chance of affecting the stay of any future guest.

Again, please accept my apology and know that we can and will do better in the future; for both your next stay and for every guest.
Griffin, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

The staff here were extremely courteous and did everything possible to make our stay enjoyable. We dined at the Bistro when we first arrived and Tiffany did an outstanding job and served a delicious meal. We had a small problem that was mentioned at checkout and it was resolved in a manner that far exceeded our expectations. We have family in Gainesville and will certainly book our stay at the Marriott Courtyard the next time we visit.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments. We appreciate it very much, but appreciate your words more! I will certainly share this review with my entire team. They love seeing the feedback we receive from our guests.

I look forward to having your stay with us again on your next visit to Gainesville!