“Pleasantly surprised”

GreenLeadersSilver level
TN
“Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed 14 June 2011

We were there to attend the NCAA Super Regional Baseball Tournament so the location was key. The hotel shows some age but all in all we were pleased. The front desk service was prompt and friendly. The room was clean and comfortable. Yes, the bathroom is small but that was really not an issue. As stated above we were pleasantly surprised.

Room Tip: The third floor is pool level.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
gator2223, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gainesville University Center, responded to this review, 16 June 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the hotel. I know Joe and his front desk staff work very hard to make every guest happy. We are always looking to continue to improve the property, so please don't hesitate to let me know if anything comes to mind.

Thank you again for your comments.

352-376-1661

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Danville, Indiana
Reviewed 7 June 2011

Honestly, I was a bit worried about staying here after all those bad reviews, but either the reviewers were used to 5-star hotels or this Holiday Inn really made some changes to make it better. We even had a personalized letter welcoming and thanking us for staying with them.

The hotel and our room were extremely clean, the hotel staff was very accommodating, and the pool area was like a small piece of oasis. It was a perfect place for us to stay as we were doing college tours - and this hotel was right across the street from the campus. Also, the pool is very large.

If I had to point out anything negative, the bathroom was pretty small, but not that small.

Overall, it was a wonderful experience, and I hope this hotel isn't hurt too much with the bad reviews as we really enjoyed ourselves here.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the pool and the campus
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for the wonderful comments concerning the hotel. The staff works very hard to ensure a great stay for every guest. Please feel free to contact me with any other comments you may have, and I will be sure to share these comments with our staff.

We appreciate the business!!

Sanford, Florida
Reviewed 8 April 2011

This hotel is marginally acceptable. I've been going there 4 months now for an MBA program at Hough and I feel taken advantage of everytime. The rooms give me a headache because of the mold and poor lighting. Only about 10 of the 59 channels work properly on the 25 year old tv. The bathrooms are tiny. Like i said they are renovating but I hope it doesnt take four more months.

• Stayed April 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. I would like to discuss any problems you me have the next time you are in town. We appreciate all the business our MBA's give us and we are happy to have you staying with us.

Thank you again and I look forward to hearing from you during your next stay.

Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 26 March 2011

Stayed there one night traveling with the family. Pulled in at 2am due to all the hotels in Lake City, Fl being booked on the way to Disney World. I should have known with half of the letters from "Holiday Inn" missing from the signage behind the registration desk. The room was small, dark and dingy and we were welcomed by a cockroach in the room. We stayed there literally 7 hours to sleep and thought about delousing after we left. This place is more for drunken college students shacking up the evening. The only saving grace was the nice receptionist working the late shift; very friendly.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank zoomzoomguy
I'm very sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your stay with us. I would like the opportunity to correct the issues and discuss the problems that occurred. Since your stay we have changed our pest control service as we were very unhappy with the response of the previous service.

Please feel free to contact me as I would love an opportunity to correct this issue and make any future stays better.

352-376-1661

Travellers are raving about these Gainesville hotels

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 25 March 2011

No frills but the free oranges and apples and cookies in the lobby is a nice touch. The beds were comfortable and the room was very clean. We had a mini-frig and microwave which we liked.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
DeBary, Florida
Reviewed 20 January 2011

One elevator out of service, Message pick up line didn't work, asked desk to shut off red flashing light, nothing happened. Phone on nightstand didn't work. Electrical outlet on desk lamp didn't work. Nightstand had buildup grime on edges. Toilet didn't flush waste. No breakfast. When I checked out the clerk didn't even ask how my stay was!
I won't be back to this property. Much nicer property out on I-75, I'll be coming to Gainesville on a regular basis for the next four years with my son going to school there.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Len K
Manchester, UK
Reviewed 14 January 2011

We stopped off here as part of our road trip through Florida to New Orleans.
Maybe because we'd been staying in more hostel type places, it was a real treat to get a nice, proper hotel for a night :)
Check in staff were really friendly and efficent. Room was large and the bed was comfortable. My boyfriend was delighted to see some sort of nintendo games machine linked to the tv (I put my foot down though!)
It was raining so the covered car park was appreciated when carrying all our cases in to reception.
Room was clean and there was a coffee maker which we loved for the morning.
Also the cinnamon soap/toiletries, mmmmm. I took it all when we left, Im sorry holiday inn I know thats not very classy but it smelled so good!
Would definitely recommend to anyone.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
gator2223, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gainesville University Center, responded to this review, 18 January 2011
Thank you for staying with us. We are very glad to hear you enjoyed the room and the amenities. We put them in the room for you to enjoy and keep, so please don't feel guilty. We hope you have the opportunity to come see us again. Enjoy your travels.

Cheers,