“Great Stay”

Holiday Inn Gainesville University Center
Ranked #16 of 46 Hotels in Gainesville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 3 May 2012

I have stayed here a couple times now. Great location!! Brianna and the rest of the staff was great!! The last two times I have stayed I had changes come up on short notice and they were more than happy to help resolve my schedule issues.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Kimberly C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gainesville University Center, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2012

We appreciate your Feedback. Thank you so much for recognizing our hard work to take care of our guests. I will ensure Brianna and the rest of the staff is recognized for their outstanding customer service. We look forward to welcoming you back.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Gainesville University Center

Reviewed 29 April 2012

The staff at the Gainsville hotel is AWESOME. My husband has stage IV lung cancer, brain cancer, and leukemia. He has recieved treatment at both Shands and the VA. The Holiday Inn Staff in Gainsville delivers customer service like no place I have ever been. It's embarassing, I work for an airline and they nor their competitors could compete with this group. Whatever they are doing they need to bottle it and sell it. They ROCK! I stayed there on and off for 7 weeks. During such a miserable time in our lives they truly made me feel like someone cares. Thank you very much. The rooms are nice and cozy. The beds are very comfortable after stressful days. Everyone staying in the hotel seemed to pick up on it. The cookies at night are good too. Hurray for U...............Excellent choice. Karen and Tom

Room Tip: All rooms had great beds...None had a view to write home about. It was great to have microwave, refr...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Kimberly C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gainesville University Center, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2012

Karen and Tom, Thank you so much for your comments regarding our staff! I am very proud of the team we have here and based on your post, I can see they are modeling the culture we are trying to create. My heart reaches out to you and your family during such a sensitive time in your lives. It is so nice to hear what we are doing right instead of things that are sometimes out of our control. Again thank you so much. Please let us know if there is anything we can do your you in the future.

Reviewed 29 March 2012

The rooms was clean, however the last guest must have been a smoker as the room smelled and I had to keep the door closed. Almost every night when I got in from work I had to stop by the front desk and have them rekey my door key. Tried to open door and lucky for me a maintenance man assisted me 2 nights in a row. Overall it is a decent stay but I would prefer a quieter setting.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Kimberly C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gainesville University Center, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2012

Thank you for your review. I appreciate you finding the room clean. We are working very hard to retain a level of cleanliness for our guests. I do apologize for the smoke smell. I wish you had brought it to our attention as soon as you first entered the room, we would have immediately placed you on another room, and placed the smoking room out of order to address it. I apologize for the issues with your room key. All door lock issues are noted and forwarded to maintenance to address. Your third issue with quietness is a tough one at our location, as we are in the heart of the University of Florida and downtown and at a major intersection. Overall, I am pleased that you had a decent stay. As always we truly appreciate feedback as it only helps us in moving forward. Thank you again.

Reviewed 26 February 2012

I found the staff to be excellent at this hotel. The close proximity to the University is both a positive and negative aspect - One the final night of my stay, the hotel was hosting frat pledges who kept me up until 4 AM with their partying. The lighting overall was very poor in the rooms, but especially so in the washroom. There was also a suspicious looking stain on the counter in my bathroom. I made the mistake of wearing white socks in the room, and found that they were very dirty afterwards. Overall, the location and the excellent staff were the only positives of this experience.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Kimberly C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gainesville University Center, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2012

Thank you so much for your view on our customer service. We have been working very hard to take care of our guests. I do apologize for the negative experience you had. I wish you would have given us an opportunity to allow us to move your room. If you could contact me and let me know which room you were in, I will check our rotation on our carpet cleaning. All of our rooms are on a rotation for carpet shampooing and I am concerned that you stated yours was dirty. I would also like to look at the stain on your bathroom vanity as this is the first I have heard of it, so I would like to personally address it. You can reach me via email at gm@theuniversityhotel.com or my direct line at 352-376-1661 ext. 114. Again that you so much for recognizing our staff and its customer service.

Reviewed 22 February 2012

Sadly we had to reschedule our up and coming visit today so I am unable to give a current review of the property. There were some complications with our cancellation and I called the hotel directly to see if they could be resolved and reached Kim in the corporate office. She took the time to hear my concerns and said she would research the issue and call me back. And she did...within the hour...resolving the issue 100%. I have not received such outstanding and friendly customer service in quite some time. Bravo! I look forward to our next visit and really appreciate Kim going that extra step to really make a customer feel appreciated...a wonderful reflection on this hotel, thank you.

Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank jmcalister
Kimberly C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gainesville University Center, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2012

WOW, thank you so much. I truly wish that more customers would contact a member of management regarding concerns to allow us an opportunity to address and resolve. More often, we are not aware of concerns until after a negative survey or a negative review is posted. We welcome the opportunity to address any concerns such as you had, to have an opportunity to provide excellent customer service. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally for your next reservation on a visit to Gainesville, Florida. 352-376-1661 x114

Reviewed 21 February 2012

We checked in Friday 2-17-2012 at around 10 at night. We found out that the hotel was at capacity but the you wouldn't have known it. The staff was very nice and extremely helpful. They gave us a map of the university and gave us directions. We went up to our room and the room was clean and comfortable. The hotel is situated in a perfect spot, plenty of dining spots, bars, and right at the corner of the university. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Smiles502

Thank you so much for your review. It truly makes us happy when our guests feel comfortable when away from home. The location of the hotel does have its advantages as you stated. Our staff is really excelling in service and I believe that is what separates us from some hotels. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly or our Guest Service Manager for future reservations and customized service.

Reviewed 18 February 2012

The hospitalization of a family member brought me to Gainesville on emergency last month, and this hotel became my home away from home for some 10 days. The shuttle service provided all my transportation needs, the central location, offered excellent dining choices when I would return to the hotel late every evening exhausted and hungry. Excellent rate for Shands visitors. Clean, quiet room. Hot Coffee every morning and a ride to the hospital promptly at 7:00 am. Friendly courteous staff was very helpful found a book store for me and made spot on dining recommendations. On a return visit to Gainesville I was booked in to another hotel by a family member, on arriving late at night I was so dismayed by the quality and location of the former Hilton Property I called the Holiday Inn they picked me up and checked me in promptly. On the day of my check out they held my luggage as my flight was late in the day, picked me up from the hospital and delivered me to the airport. This is the best chic for and visitors lodging when visiting Shands Hospital. The Bistro Restaurant just across the street was an excellent dining choice, and just out the hotel and to the left was a good local breakfast restaurant with full breakfast and bagels. Downtown Gainesville was about a mile and a half a way, an easy walk. The area always felt very safe A few blocks away was a yoga studio Santuary and a book store. The Raggae Restaurant also a few blocks away offered great Jamaican Jerk cuisine.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Lisa M
Kimberly C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gainesville University Center, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2012

Thank you so much for your positive feedback. Many of our guests feel the same way as you do and we wish they took the time to post their reviews as you did. This would really help show a more realistic view of our property. Our team strives very hard to provide great customer service and go the extra mile for our guests if given the opportunity to do so. Again thank you so much for your kind words, we so enjoyed having you stay with us and welcome you back in the future.