“Great location, fine rooms”

Holiday Inn Gainesville University Center
Ranked #17 of 44 Hotels in Gainesville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Savannah, Georgia
“Great location, fine rooms”
Reviewed 9 November 2010

We found this hotel to be a pleasant surprise considering so many mediocre reviews. The rooms were large, the beds comfortable, the bathrooms updated and clean as a whistle and the wireless internet worked flawlessly. OK, so no flat screen TV, mini fridge or complimentary breakfast, but otherwise this hotel was everything you could need at a great location for walking to the university and downtown restaurants and shops.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
JenSchmitt, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gainesville University Center, responded to this review, 11 November 2010
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We appreciate your business. The hotel is working to install flat screen TV's within the next 12 months. We wanted to unsure a high definition signal for all our guests before making the switch to flat screens. So please look for this change during future stays.

Thank you again for your great comments and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Shawn Stan, CHA
352-376-1661

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Jacksonville
Reviewed 9 November 2010

Horrible experience!!!!!!!!! My company booked this hotel, so it has nothing to do with money. The room was old, smelly, and I had roaches in the shower with me. The window air conditioning unit outside my room had the cover taped on. When I told them about it I got a real " who cares " attitude and they were more worried about me checking out early and canceling upcoming days than about the issues at hand. The manager offered me a better room, and my response was " so you have roach- free as well as roach rooms? So why didn't I get the roach-free to begun with, is that extra?"

Now the worst part is they made me leave my personal card for "incidentals" bad part is they charged my personal card for the room as well as my company on their American express. I believe that is called double dipping. I went back told them and supposedly they took it off, but five days later I just got a fill charge on my card this morning for it as well as there is still a pending charge and my company got charged too! STAY AWAY FROM THIS HOTEL,!!!!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Yorkielover2-5
JenSchmitt, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gainesville University Center, responded to this review, 10 November 2010
We are very sorry for the problems that occurred during your stay with us. Our goal is 100% satisfaction, and we attempted to remedy any mistakes that were committed. I'm very sorry that every reasonable solution was met with resistance. We would still like to make this situation right with you. Please feel free to contact me when a discussion over reasonable solutions is able to be had.

Thank you for you comments and we look forward to making this situation right.

Shawn Stan, CHA
352-376-1661
Florida
Reviewed 26 October 2010

Building old. Room small. Ceilings very low. There is a balcony but the door to it permanently sealed. Bathroom miniscule. Room stinks with disinfectant used perhaps to cover the smell of tobacco smoke. No breakfast included in the rate. Not that I want to be too negative: good location if you have business with U. Florida. Front desk personnel cheerful and friendly.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 13 October 2010

This hotel is close to the university. the staff was great. I would probably not stay here again though. The rooms were too small for the price. The bathrooms were a bit dirty. We had a great view of McDonalds roof top. It just felt clustered. Got the final total and its about $40.00 difference than what it should be. Most hotels dont charge for local calls this one does. .50 for each call plus tax they also charge the room tax AND an occupancy tax. YES AN OCCUPANCY TAX. They taxed me to fill the room. not cool Holiday Inn. It is non smoking but smokers like to smoke 2 feet from the front entrance. I never understand why. I would try somewhere else if I had the choice again but if I really had to Id use this hotel as a backup. Did a bed bug test and it passed. Although you just never know these days!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cricket_Critic
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed 7 September 2010

The Hotel is conveniently located across the street from the college. I could not find this place for under $100.00 and can’t understand why they charge such a price, considering the situation. At this price, you expect something different. The building is looks like something from the 60’s or early 70’s. The bathroom is tiny causing the door to almost hit anything in the room. There was a dead plant in a pot on the inside hallway and a loud window unit cooling the hallway outside our room. Considering the situation, you would expect a free breakfast, but it’s $8.95 for a 2 eggs and a drink. I like to be positive, so I will say the place was clean and the staff friendly.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank YouCanSayIt
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 9 May 2010

The hospitable from an employee seemed to be very rude and unprofessional.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
Uxbridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 4 May 2010

We werek lucky to get a room at this Holiday Inn. We were in Gainsville for my son's graduation from UFL. We had reservations at another hotel, which was not fit for a human. We stopped by the Holiday Inn on the chance that they may have a room. All the hotels in the area had no vacancy. Lucky for us, they had a cancellation. The staff is just wonderful; very polite and eager to give good service. The rooms are spacious and very clean. The beds and pillows are very comfortable. Because it was graduation week-end the prices were higher than usual. Normally I would never pay what I paid to stay there. But it was worth every dime I spent and would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple