“Fun, but disappointed...”

Reel Kind Fishing and Tours
Ranked #1 of 19 Tours in Goodland
More attraction details
Owner description: Are you looking to have the trip of your life on the water’s of Marco Island, Naples and The Everglades? Did you know our Guides are all retired Florida Wildlife Law Enforcement Officers or Florida Master Natuaralists? Our Captains strive to make every trip the best trip you have ever had. We know the waters like the back of our hands and work hard to make sure you are having the time of your life.
Naples, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Fun, but disappointed...”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Personable and knowledgeable guide, great ride to/from the shelling area. Beach filled with shells - great location. Had plenty of time to shell...been shelling for decades..the beach/location was solid.

Would have given the trip five stars but there was a problem. During my search for shells, I noticed the guide was also walking the beach searching for shells. I have a methodology when I search the beach and I can't comb the whole area at once. We purposely chartered the day and time to be the first on the beach. He found at least one shell I was looking for and claimed it for himself. He did give me several other smaller shells which was nice, but my point is this: I chartered the boat and paid for the gas and for the guide's expertise. I don't want to be in competition with the guide for the good stuff. I wanted the beach to myself.

If I chartered this company for fishing and the captain was also fishing and landed "the big one", is it right for him to keep passing me the "little ones while I watch him reel in the catch of the day?" Would anyone hire a boat captain who would compete with them, either in shelling or fishing?

I'll hire the company again, but to the captain: Please don't compete with me when I'm looking for shells. If you do look for your own collection, which is fine/understandable, do it on your own time and on your own dime.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Foulton
Bonnie K, Owner at Reel Kind Fishing and Tours, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
First and foremost I apologize on behalf of my Captain, we have dismissed him from the company.
I am happy to hear you will use our services again. I know my Captains do look for shells themselves at times but I also know when they do so it is always in the path the customer has already taken and searched. Should you use us again, (which I hope you do) please without any hesitation make it know to us when you schedule the reservation that you do not want the Captain following in your path shelling. In there defense they also do it to continue educating themselves with the ecosystem out there. I personally would rather have a Captain that has such a passion for his job and is always seeking new things to discuss, than one that just sits on a boat like a lump on a log (unless requested by customer) Therefore, NO we did not fire one of our most loved and appreciated Captains BUT it has been brought to their attention and they will most definently be more considerate!! Thank you for bringing it to our attention, its what keeps us #1 and helps us strive for perfection! Respectfully, Bonnie.

Marco Island, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Wonderful treat”
Reviewed 17 October 2013

My friend from High School came to visit. Have not seen each other in years and years...I booked this wonderful trip and had no idea what to expect. It was perfect! The weather was great, the small boat was a wonderful change of pace, Jesse was absolutely delightful and we enjoyed every minute of it. I live on Marco Island and now whenever I have a visitor I am going to have Jesse take us out shelling...recommend it completely! Arleen

Visited October 2013
1 Thank MarcoIslandWoman
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“capt jesse the best”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

me and my two adult sons had a great time/expierence with Jesse would highly recommend having him to guide you on your expierences. we caught an adequate amount for dinner that nite and caught a lot that we couldn't keep and a varied variety.we didn't go for a boat ride.pat pat steve thanks

Visited October 2013
1 Thank pmartin6234
Hawley, Pennsylvania
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Excellent”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

This was our second time out with Captain Jesse. We had a great time fishing and shelling in and around Marco Island. Captain Jesse is very friendly, and accommodating. He is very familiar with the waters around Marco Island. He was able to put us on lots of fish, and he also found us a great place to shell. We will go out with him again when we return to Florida.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Marcosheller
Thrapston, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“A great experience, and fun time had by all.”
Reviewed 11 September 2013

We are a family of 4 and booked to go on a novices fishing trip. Had great fun with Jesse, we all caught a variety of fish, my wife even hooked a hammerhead shark. The waters were calm, the scenery stunning and we saw a lot of wildlife and dolphins feeding.
Jesse was very easy going and extremely knowledgeable, and a lucky guy who obviously loves his day job.
We would highly recommend this trip and would go back again when we are next in the area.

Visited August 2013