“Outstanding!”

Boston
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Outstanding!”
Reviewed 5 April 2008

It appears from previous reviews that this restaurant has had some growing pains as it has established itself in the competitive environment of Coconut Grove. After dining recently at Cristabelle’s with my wife, I have to say that a truly unique and exquisite dining experience has arrived to South Florida.

The combination of remarkable architecture, beautiful interior design that has overlooked no small detail, a knowledgeable and professional staff, and live jazz music create a romantic ambiance. We began with champagne cocktails and appetizers (the octopus salad special, and the signature crab cakes). The octopus was prepared to perfection, and the crab cakes were delicate with subtle New Orleans Cajun spice. My main course was the veal Louisiana, which I found to be a unique and tasteful combination of flavors, while my wife enjoyed tremendously the fish special. We had an excellent bottle of St Emillion grand cru with dinner, which was offered at a very reasonable price. To finish the evening off, we enjoyed a sumptuous chocolate volcano, which I will not even attempt to describe – you will have to taste it for yourself.

I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone who is looking for a dining experience for special occasions. After living in Miami for 6 years, it is nice to see elegance and luxury in a dining experience, and right in the middle of the wonderful nightlife of the grove. Although this experience comes at a price, it is worth every cent.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“One of the most unique and beautiful restaurants that I have ever been to in the United States. Perfect cajun cuisine...”
Reviewed 31 March 2008

One of the most unique and beautiful restaurants that I have ever been to in the United States. Perfect cajun cuisine. Outrageously appointed with details fit for royalty. Too bad it is in Miami.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Miami
“Food and Managmente Problems”
Reviewed 4 March 2008

Went there this past saturday, we were expecting a big crowd of football players, they never showed up, restaurant wasn't that busy, service was better, than before, but our food got to the table in different times. Four of our meals got first, and the other,wild Boar wich was cold, got to our table, 30 minutes later, the wine we had to wait another 20 minutes for each bottle, then we ask if we could talk to a manager and guess what, another 30 minutes we had to wait until, the second floor manager showed up to our table, very arrogante late 50's middle eastern male, after talking to him for about ten minutes he finally agree that he will take care of our bill.
But the service was much better, than other times, both Gina and Luis were excelent, same thing with the other managers a mature lady and a young latin male running the door, very friendly both.
I might give them another shot, they got better on service, but now they need to work on the second floor manager

2 Thank Richard33133
New Orleans, Louisiana
“paying for the atmoshere, not the food!!!!”
Reviewed 12 January 2008

We found it kind of funny that the host got kind of lost when he was givin a table number to seat us. I was wowed by the place, I almost triped and fell looking at the beautiful stained glass everywhere it was just BEAUTIFUL. Our waitress GiGi was on point and very nice. But once we got the food everything went down hill. My friend ordered a ceaser salad and literally had two slice of lettuce, a slab of toasted bread as a crouton, and 2 eggs on each side for $14. We had crab cakes as appetizers and I've had better from walmart. The crawfish ettouffe had no salt and the roux taste burnt. The best thing was the new orleans bread pudding, nice work with the southern comfort sauce. But my friends!, I would only tell you to go there if you just felt like spending and being wowed by the interior but not for food.

1 Thank southernbelle84
Miami
“Good food, but service needs work”
Reviewed 28 December 2007

To sum this restaurant up the food is good, but the service/staff and the ONE INCH CENTIPEDE floating in the drink, ruined the experience.

Christabelle’s Quarter is located in Coconut Grove, a friend of a friend owns this restaurant so I was excited to try it. The place is beautifully decorated in a New Orleans French Country style with the gas lanterns hanging on the walls inside and outside (which I love). Live music playing. The night we decided to dine at Christabelle’s Quarter they only had one level of the restaurant open. There are from what I am told three levels to this restaurant. One for casual dining, one for fine dining and a bar on another floor. Since one level was only open, we had no choice to just dine on the first floor.
Which was fine, not sure if it was their casual or fine dining experience.

We were escorted to our table for four. Three waiters serviced the table (so you would think you would get great service if three waiters are working the table, wrong at this place). When we only ordered two waters and two cokes the waiter started to give us an attitude. When he came back to take the order, when we handed him the menus he dropped them on the glasses. Luckily missing the drinks some how. Two of the girls really don't eat much so they decided to share a meal and an appetizer, as they didn't want to take any food home. This made him even more upset we think. But it shouldn't matter what we order, you still should be professional. When the appetizer came they brought an extra plate (which wasn't needed), when it wasn't used
the waiter came over and actually asked why we were not using the plate. We didn't need it we told him and figured we would use it during the main mean when the two girls shared the meal.

The meal came, everything was delicious. The portions sizes were not to big nor to small. Actually the right amount. The presentation of the meals was also very beautiful. At this point another waiter and our waiter came over to tell us that our waiter just won the Best Waiter in Miami Award. Not sure how. As I asked for a refill on the coke when the main meal came, I didn't get the refill till after the bill came. Luckily we had water on the table too.

The bill came, we payed, by now the place had become half empty. So we decided to sit for awhile and talk, since there were plenty of tables open. While we were talking one of the girls looking into her water glass and saw a ONE INCH CENTIPEDE floating in her glass. We called over one of the head managers that evening and showed him the centipede. He looked at it and offered us a round of waters. A round of waters?????? How about a round of desserts, after we just found a ONE INCH CENTIPEDE in our drink. After that we got up and left.

It is a shame that the service is lacking, because this could be a great restaurant. As it is different. Would I go back, not sure. Bad service and a large bug in the water glass?????

1 Thank doggiebus