“our favorite Italian”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Moved to St. Pete, FL from NYC 7 months ago. Have tried many different restaurants and Pia's is one of our favorites. Good size portions of Salmone di Capri and of the Antipasti appetizers. Everything looks fresh, delicious, and filling. Red Sangria was also very good. Prices a little higher than most eateries that we've tried here but less expensive than NYC so no complaints. We've always had good friendly service. The wait is slightly longer during their busier periods but not enough to keep us away. Love the relaxed outdoor setting. Have never been to Italy but if other reviewers whom I've read are being honest then I've had a little taste of it and I will be back for more.

Reviewed 20 April 2012

In our party of four, everyone agreed the auviance was great and the staff very friendly. We felt our waiter was overbooked and did not check with us as often as he should. We all had something different to eat: The mussels in white wine sauce were wonderful, the black grouper special with red pepper sauce was cooked to perfection, the chicken Marsala was very tender with excellent flavor, the Lasanga was burnt on top and bottom. Pia's is definitely a restaurant we will try again.

Reviewed 16 April 2012

I cannot say enough about how wonderful my experience was. Our waiter was very charming, the food was excellent (the next best thing to eating in Italy knowing from experience), the atmosphere was beautiful, and service was above and beyond. This place is perfect for couples, but I went with my family. I can't wait to go back for breakfast, and will eat outside next time.

Reviewed 8 April 2012

This is the perfect trattoria when you like real italian food.
Inside and out perfect sitting areas, very exclusive therefore more expensive as elsewhere, but it"s worth every penny !
Very nice, italian decent played music, classic very often, I just liked the atmosphere, I fall like being in Italy, really. Thank you Pia for the good food you are serving and thanks to the waiters and the whole stuff

Reviewed 31 March 2012

I zipped over to Gulfport while visiting family in Treasure Island...it is the CUTEST little town! Very artsy and casual - like Cambria, CA or a tiny corner of Key West. Lovely little shops with original art and gifty items. At least 10 good looking restaurants and I heard they recently won an award for the overall area's food.

I was attracted to Pia's because of the outside seating—it is adorable. Grass roof, wooden tables, candles, lace curtains, cloth napkins and lovely greenery. Very secluded but inviting. Casual yet upscale. I immediately made a reservation when I saw the courtyard from the street.

We were very impressed with the antipasti appetizer and a wonderful special salad of watercress and roasted plums stuffed with goat cheese. Then We decided to go simple and order their classic pasta dishes for entrees. My husband got penne with Bolognese and I got the Pesto Verde with fresh linguini. They were just OK. We expected better. Maybe we should have tried a special or chicken dish instead.

The service was nice but slow, which we didn't really mind because we were in no hurry. And it was very much in line with how real Italian restaurants work, as they expect you to spend the evening enjoying, not rush in and rush out. The food was not expensive. We had the starter, large salad, two entrees, and four Peronis (italian beers) for under $100. They had 1/2 carafes of house wine for $12 which was also tempting.

Overall I'm giving this place a great rating because it's just what we were looking for: off the beaten path, relaxed, good food, outside seating, and reasonably priced.

If nothing else, just go visit Gulfport. It is adorable!! Great beach and pier too.