“Excellent Mexican Food”

Price range: US$15 - US$30
Cuisines: Mexican, Fusion
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Peg's is a renovated bungalow nestled in Gulfport, Florida, with an outdoor patio a covered Indoor-Outdoor porch and an inside bar with 3 tables. The cuisine is a fusion of New American and Mexican.
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Peg's Cantina is a converted house with spacious outdoor dining in the heart of Gulfport, FL. In fact, outdoor dining is just about the only option as the interior only has 3 tables and a few stools at the bar.

We went with a group of 6 on a Wednesday night. Peg's serves specialty beers and several of us ordered them. My husband had the pulled pork burrito, while I indulged in the Grande pizza. It's made with a tortilla crust which makes it very thin and crispy. Both were excellent. The other diners ordered typical Mexican fare and also deemed it good. One man ordered crab cakes, but said they weren't up to his standards. Overall, I'd give the food a 5, the crab cakes notwithstanding.

My only complaint was the service. The porch were we sat had all 6 tables full with only 1 waitress to handle the crowd. When we entered, she was also at the bar getting her own drinks. I assumed the large turnout on a week night caught them by surprise. We waited quite a while for our drinks and even longer for our food. I'd have to say the kitchen was slammed, too. On the other hand, our server was personable and apologized for our wait. I can't fault her for shortness of staff.

I've eaten at Peg's on numerous occasions and will be back. The food is just too good to pass up.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Having discovered Peg's several years ago when we lived in St Petersburg, we were keen to go back to see if it was still as good. We shouldn't have worried, it was a perfect evening to sit outside, menus arrived immediately and our server was introduced. Drinks and appetizers followed quickly and the tuna tartare was just fantastic.. For entrees we had the pulled pork burrito, crab quesadilla and shrimp tacos which were all excellent. The service was good and the local beer was just perfect with this meal. We will be back before we go home.

Reviewed 1 November 2013

After ordering only 2 appetizers, we waited 35 minutes for them to be served. Yes, it was on a fairly busy night, but our server was not attentive, seemed to possess a negative attitude, and was not striving to please us. The outdoor seating area is beautiful, appetizers, when they arrived were good, but the service could not have been worse. Totally ruined our experience. No Pepsi or Coke, which seemed odd.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

Great place! Relax outside while have a cold micro brew, glass of wine or even a Dr. Browns Diet cherry soda...not bad! I was expecting a little more authentic, HOT and spicy with the food. I was really craving some crazy good Mexican Cuisine...I'll be back to try it again.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

My wife and I chose Peg's based solely on Tripadvisor's reviews. We were not disappointed. The quality of food was terrific and the service was great and all a reasonable price. Great atmosphere.
Timothy from Connecticut