“Pushy salespeople at johns pass”

Dolphin Snorkeling Cruise
Ranked #1 of 11 Tours in Gulfport
More attraction details
Owner description: Day trip to Egmont Key, off St. Petersburg, Florida. Watch dolphins jump and play in the surf behind our mono-hull boat. They jump, twist, & spin so close you can almost touch them! Our boat stays with you the entire 2 1/2 hour stay on the island. Explore this tropical island with its abundant wildlife and ruins of a Spanish-American War fort. Snorkel gear is provided for those wishing to snorkel the sunken ruins. Reservations recommended by calling.
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We were strolling by this store at johns pass minding our own business and an annoying guy stopped me and my children to show us a video playing of dolphins. I told him we had already decided to do shell key shuttle and he scoffed at that and told me it was a bad decision. That "dolphins only like his kind of boat, and that the boat stays with you and doesnt abandon you." Shell key shuttle drops you off and picks up at two times of your choosing. Well, we stuck with our choice of shell key shuttle that leaves from st. Pete. We paid $74 for two adults and two kids, and left at 10. Almost to the island, a pod of dolphins swam within 15 feet of our boat on all sides, soooo close and so cool! We walked a half mile down shell key and set up a private beach just for us using the umbrella shell key shuttle provided. And my girls and hubby snorkeled with the provided gear and found tons of sanddollars and shells which were also on the beach. My hubby found a 12 inch conch buried in the sand in two feet of water! Sooo awesome! I'm writing about the competing shelling and snorkeling tour because people may get sucked in to the annoying speech about this one being better, but there is an alternative that is friendly, more affordable and accommodating, fun, and doesnt push tips. We loved that the shell Key shuttle left us on the beautiful island paradise and we were not rushed to experience the island and snorkeling. We could stay as little or as long as we wanted. There are no restrooms on shell key, but everyone knows you can pee in the ocean. Some of these reviews said the crew was rude. I'd hate having what could be a special memory of a fun family day, ruined by a rude captain. Check out shell key shuttle, bring a picnic in a cooler, sunscreen, waters and beach towels, and have a great day on a private beach!

6  Thank J S

Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

BEST seventy bucks per couple we spent all week! Our captain was great, the trip was fun, siphon show as promised, never snorkled before and it was the perfect first experience....shelling wasn't as awesome as the pix they showed, but got the best shells odd the week with very little effort.... AWESOME DAY!

Reviewed 18 April 2014

We were led to believe this would be the best snorkeling trip by Blair at the St john's pass store front. So we shelled out the $140 plus for our family of 4. The captain, who was very rude thru out the trip, told us it was too windy to snorkel by the ruins, took us off the beach near a bird sanctuary, gave us fins and a mask ( no flippers) and told to snorkel in the grass/sandy area near shore for 15 min before we were told to get back on the boat. Not exactly the great snorkel trip as promised and no reduction in price! To be fair we did see dolphin on our trip, but the captain's snide comment "there, we got that out of the way" and his treatment of his crew rubbed me and my family the wrong way. We were promised by Blair to find the biggest shells. Honestly you can find these at Sanibel island for free. The way they handle the payment of the trip is terrible and humiliating. Basically if you want to take a boat ride in an old crappy boat and see dolphin with a grumpy rude captain who doesnt realize that YOU are his bread and butter, and want to get shells, which you can get for free elsewhere, and don't really care about snorkeling, then this is the trip for you! The good reviews on this site are PROBABLY happy customers, although I personally spoke to other folks who had never been on a trip with such a rude, unfun captain, who were so disgusted, but do not want to take time to post a review. Buyer beware!

8  Thank Hawaii1995
Reviewed 13 April 2014

**Address 4630 29th Ave South, Gulfport, Fl.
Not far from Bradenton, Ellenton, Tampa, Anna Marie Island, etc...worth the drive!!!!!
This was the best trip ever! We are newcomers to Florida. Moved from San Angelo, TX. to Bradenton, Florida. Still getting to know the roadways and attractions in the area. I telephoned to find a boat to Eggmont Keys...and they (The fine Captains )...took time (although extremely busy) to make sure that my husband and I had directions and even more detailed directions than our GPS...which at times can lead us off course. They went out of their way to accommodate us. The trip includes: a safe, fun and smooth boat ride through beautiful blue-green water to the island...Eggmont Keys. Along the way, the Capts. make outstanding effort to locate spectacular dolphins and then create a wave to which attracts the dolphins to swim and jump and dive in an incredible fashion right before your eyes...so close and at hand! I've never seen anything like it! Amazing photography was able to be captured of the performing dolphins. Then, close to the island you can choose or not to snorkel in clear, beautiful water. They have snorkel gear onboard. So you just need to say "Yes, I want to do it too! " They keep a large cooler on board so you can ice down your drinks and food, which you can buy right there at the marina. If you do not have time to make for yourselves. The boat will dock at the island and you will embark to an incredible island ...hiking, viewing the Fort remains, a Lighthouse, slow moving tortoise, tropical island vegetation and supreme beach and ocean...oh yes, and shelling is a must do. Take a bag with you or they will provide one for you...to fill up! Children will love this trip. You will need plenty of sunscreen and a sun hat. Lots of water to drink too. Please, do check this out. This is an amazing trip...provides a wonderful day to spend in a spectacular place, aboard a vessel with Captains that truly care about the service they provide, about you, and the environment they respect and love. It is evident!
Brenda and Henry, April 13, 2014

2  Thank Bren G
Reviewed 25 February 2014

It was a great time during our trip to Egmont Key. The crew of Tropical Island Getaway was very friendly and helpful. We had a big fun on the boat with other people watching dolphins swimming and jumping close our boat. It was amazing!!! The tropical island with lighthouse, ruins dating back to the 1700s, tales of Spanish Conquistadors was worth to sightseeing. I would really recommend this cruise to everyone!!!Have fun!!!

1  Thank Betty P