“Excellent food, nice atmosphere”
Review of Habana Cafe

Habana Cafe
Ranked #10 of 41 Restaurants in Gulfport
Price range: US$0 - US$25
Cuisines: Latin, Spanish
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I've eaten there several times in the past month. Having visited Havana, Cuba, last year, I was interested to see what they served. Their dishes are very traditional Cuban. The chicken with mushrooms in a dill sauce is superb. It was one of the selections included on their sampler plate. They play Cuban music. Prices are reasonable, and they stay pretty busy. My waiter was extremely attentive.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

First time here. Had Lechon Asado - Cuban grilled pork. I WAS IN HEAVEN!! Wonderful spices that just make your mouth water. I liked it so much, when I got home to NC, I looked up a recipe and plan on trying to do this dish myself. I HIGHLY recommend this place. It's informal and everyone is VERY friendly! AND the menu is priced well.

1  Thank Beth H
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Our family was so looking forward to our Cuban dinner at Habana Cafe. The food was only okay, which was a big disappointment, especially considering all the good reviews. First of all, we were seated upstairs which is seriously lacking in atmosphere. There were plenty of tables downstairs when we arrived and we had a reservation so we felt we were "exiled." The Cuban sandwich was only so-so. The seafood dishes, including garlic shrimp, were also only average. We were hoping for a better finale, but the flan was just disgraceful -- bland and tough.

Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

This place is a very casual sit down restaurant who has won local awards for its dessert as well as mention in Rand McNally for 'Best Sampler Plate' and 'Best Latin Cookbook' award be Gourmand magazine.

Very nice people, food was great...my first experience with authentic Cuban food. I'll come back and bring guests. Very casual dining.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

This is a small, unpretentious place (plastic menus and serving plates) that serves award winning food. That is literally true as the chef won a Southern Living original dessert contest for her flan cheesecake. I am not a lover of cheesecake, but hers was the exception and it is clear how it won the contest. We ate drunken shrimp (lovely sour taste) dilled chicken and lechon asado. All very good to great. The black beans and rice were fine as well. I know something about Cuban food having grown up in South Florida enjoying monthly pig roasts with our Cuban neighbors. This was really good. I will go back to try other dishes and you should too. (Note: I saw the pictures of the sandwiches mentioned by another reviewer and would not try them either!) Stick with the entrees.