“Good, But Still Working Out The Kinks”
Review of J's - CLOSED

Price range: US$6 - US$25
Good for: View
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Waitstaff
Germantown, Tennessee
“Good, But Still Working Out The Kinks”
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Let me begin by saying the ambiance is fabulous. Blue paint on the walls softens the huge amount of light coming in the wraparound windows along 3 sides of the building. The view of Boca Ciega Bay is top notch. The bar area (complete with live entertainment/DJ) is separated from the dining room so the crowd noise is minimal.

This restaurant opened less than 3 months ago, so I expected some glitches.

The food, with an emphasis on seafood/fish, is quite good and they are smart enough to keep their menu to a manageable length. That is not to say there isn't room for improvement.

Since hubby and I were celebrating our anniversary, we indulged in the Portabella Mushroom/Spinach & Tomato appetizer. It was quite good, but a trifle acidic due to the large amount of balsamic glaze.

I had the Crab Stuffed Flounder with broccoli hollandaise. The fish was flaky and the crab stuffing nicely seasoned. Unfortunately, I found several pieces of shell in mine. The broccoli is large with the stem attached. I'd rather see the florets served. Not nearly as intimidating on the plate. Hubby had the Parmesan Crusted Grouper and liked it.

Be prepared to take your time. The kitchen is slow. We waited over 20 minutes for our entrees. Our server was personable and knew the menu well. However, she needs to know when to stop talking. Chatting about things other than the menu should be kept to a minimum. Other staff was excellent. The wine list is limited. I'm hoping that will change as the establishment gains confidence. And BTW, for a Thursday night in the off-season, the place was busy!

It sometimes takes a while for a new restaurant to come up to speed, but we'll be back. Next time for lunch.

• Visited August 2013