“EXCELLENT FOOD / STRANGE AMBIANCE”

La Cote Basque Winehouse
Ranked #17 of 41 Restaurants in Gulfport
Price range: US$12 - US$35
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Let me first start by saying the décor is "unique" to say the least. At first glance it reminded me of a cheap wedding chapel in Las Vegas... And, after being there several times, each time I go there I find myself looking around taking it in.

With that being said, the food is EXCELLENT. The portions are small and for a hungry man he would leave hungry. I have had the chicken marsala and the chicken parm both of which are excellent. The carrots that come with the meal are very tasty. Actually, the best I've ever had and the warm loaf of bread is delicious!!!

I would say the food is more german than french. My husband had the crème brulee, he said it was excellent.

They have an early bird menu and also give out coupons for buy one get one free dinners.

I don't like how they add a 15% tip to the check. I am not cheap and normally leave 20% with good service, but since they add it, that is all they get. However, I do understand why they add a tip...

Reviewed 19 September 2013

My husband and I went to La Cote Basque Winehouse for our 4 year anniversary. Anytime you read reviews and there are negative comments you sort of question your choices...well, no need for that here. The restaurant does not have an "identity crisis" as said in a previous review. Those who know better would say it is diverse. My husband started with the escargots (one of his favorite dishes) and the only comment he made was that he wished he had more! It was the proper and correct amount served, however, he absolutely loved them! I order the Suisse Fromage Soup. Dalton (our server) was spectacular and we never felt rushed or ignored at any point in our evening. Our salads were delicious as was the warm bread served fresh out of the oven...(those are black sesame seeds on top). He ordered the Wiener schnitzel while ordered the Beef Wellington. My beef was cooked to a perfect medium rare and you could have cut it with a fork! My husband also loved his. We were later presented with a beautiful Creme de Menthe parfait for our anniversary and had the pleasure of meeting Dalton's mom who is also the owner...what a delight!!! The restaurant atmosphere is quiet and has several references to the Catholic religion which was a very nice surprise. It was like a trip back into time. We will go back again without a doubt! We drove from Tampa down to Gulfport specifically for this restaurant. I know there are several 4+ star restaurants in Tampa and we could have had our pick of any of them, but I am so glad we didn't. Thank you to a genuinely run family restaurant where people are still important, the food is fantastic and a religious preference is not hidden but displayed with pride!!!!!

Reviewed 15 September 2013

The food is always well prepared with a german/french theme. Schitzels are are quite good. The prices are very reasonable. We have been there quite a few times. It is family run, the chef is the daughter of the original owner. The decor is very eclectic, fun to look at. The last time we were there a couple left because the decor bothered the woman. It is a nice atmosphere with good food. They always advertise a coupon two for one price, they even post some outside the restaurant. Oh and according to a book I have, the restaurant is haunted.

Reviewed 11 September 2013

A restaurant with an identity crisis. Part of the menu is French (as name implies), part German and throw in some Italian. The best part of the meal was fair, which was the salad. Only two choices of salad dressing. Your meal comes with some kind of bread with seeds sprinkled on top. When you try to eat it, the seeds come off in your hand. Should you wish more bread (heaven forbid) it will cost you extra. The main meal comes with 4 sides, extremely small and you have no choice as to what they are. I guess whatever the cooks feels like serving that evening. The decor is unique to say the least, not in a favorable way. Would never, never return.

1  Thank karenbrownlakecity
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Food was superb, service was top notch and dessert was incredible! It's an experience you'll never forget the ambience is far from the mainstream.