“You get what you pay for......suited our purpose”

BEST WESTERN PLUS Hollywood/Aventura
“You get what you pay for......suited our purpose”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

We stayed here on 04/28/2013, for 1 night prior to a trip to La Romana, DR. We booked on hotwire via the secret hot-deals and only paid $50.00 for the night for 2 adults including free parking, wi-fi, and hot breakfast. HELLO…Did I mention FREE parking, wi-fi, and hot breakfast (including sausage/eggs). Lower rating due to having TOO MANY unfinished projects!!

On a positive note: we apparently got one of the upgraded newly renovated rooms and we were comfortable in the room. Nice paint colors, décor, and updated bathroom. Only issue in room was that the bathroom door wouldn’t close all the way. It seemed warped or something. Also we asked for a king bed and got 2 full sized beds instead. Oh well, just more room to play!!
The breakfast was typical cheap hotel fare but it was plentiful with lots of options. NO ONE should go hungry eating here because if nothing else one could have fruit/yogurt, toast, and orange juice.

I must say that I have to agree with other posts which point out that this hotel appears run down. As soon as you pull up you immediately see several ongoing renovation projects to the outside of the property. ALL of them appear to have been started and then left unfinished in the middle of the project. I say each project should be completed prior to starting the next project. Overall the outside appearance looks like some place I would definitely drive by without stopping because it looks sooo run down and in disrepair.

I also noted unfinished projects inside of the hotel corridors as well. Such as a whole wall (down to the frame/studs) needing drywall and paint.

As to location: hotel is about 2 miles from FLL right next to Hwy 95. I suggest that you make a u-turn on Hallandale Beach Rd at the gas station right off the hwy instead of following the navigation system along the side streets that run behind the strip joint located in front of the hotel. I didn’t like the side streets and felt unsafe the one time that we traveled on them to get to the hotel for the 1st time. I wasn’t really all that concerned by the strip joint right in front of the hotel. We didn’t encounter any weirdoes hanging about in the parking lot however I definitely don’t recommend young women hanging out or coming/going unaccompanied late at night or o’dark-thirty in the morning.

Room Tip: Ask for one of their newly renovated rooms and you'll feel more like you're getting a really...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cowgrl323
bestwesternHallndale, Administrative Assistant at BEST WESTERN PLUS Hollywood/Aventura, responded to this review, 20 May 2013
Dear Cowgrl323,

We really appreciate you taking the time to write this review. It is great to hear that the hotel suited your needs and that you were able to receive a great offer for your stay. I do apologize for the look of the hotel at the moment since we are trying to do a full renovation not just the rooms. We are trying to make it as easy as possible for the guests so that not many issues are encountered. If you did suffer from such contruction issues, once again I do apologize. We do hope that you are able to visit us once all renovations are complete and give us your opinion of the work.

Best regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Chicago
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2013

The location is bad, right next to a noisy highway. The building is old and the room smelled like stale smoke. The mini frige leaked. However, I wouldn't be writing this review if it weren't for the rudeness of Alicia at the front desk. I'll never stay at a Best Western again.

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank ChicagoKiki
bestwesternHallndale, Administrative Assistant at BEST WESTERN PLUS Hollywood/Aventura, responded to this review, 7 May 2013
Dear ChicagoKiki,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our property. I am very sorry for any incoveniences you encountered during your stay. We are doing renovations at the moment which will replace the windows in order to diminish the noise coming from the highway. As for the unprofessional manner of the front desk agent, we have spoken with her an taken the right measures with all of our front desk agents so that an incident such as this one does not occur again. We do hope that you can visit us again after renovations so we can redeem our name.

Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2013

Straight, I did not stay at this hotel at the end but the service I received from Alicia was outstanding. She was very helpful, kind, honest, available, polite, etc. This is the type of people every hotel should be striving to hire....at any cost.
Jacobo (Jake) Gheller

Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Dear Jacobo G,

We really appreciate the review you have written for our staff. I am glad to hear that Alicia provided excellent service for you and felt welcomed by her. I do apologize if there were any issues you encountered that prevented you from staying at the hotel. We do hope that if you did not stay because of the hotel that you will give us an opportunity to redeem ourselves. We are under renovations and expect to be done in July. Hopefully you can visit us after so that you can comment on the newly renovated rooms and lobby. We hope to see you again soon.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2013

This place is just a dump. I actually checked out early. The staff was very nice but the hotel and rooms are old and you never get a clean feeling anywhere you walk. I actually felt the the area to be unsafe as well. Security in the hotel is not great. I usually travel for business and will go back to staying at the Sheridan a few exits north.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Ejc413
bestwesternHallndale, Administrative Assistant at BEST WESTERN PLUS Hollywood/Aventura, responded to this review, 3 May 2013
Dear Ejc413,

I really appreciate you taking the time to review the property. I am sorry that the inconveniences you faced amounted to you leaving the hotel early. We do have security come in at night to patrol the area so that guests can sleep soundly and we have never had any issues with the area. Our rooms are currently under renovations and and willl have a more modern look at the end. I do hope you give us a chance to redeem our name after renovations.

Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2013

This property is located very close to an intersection of a highway and another busy street. I had called the hotel before our flight because of the location, and the receptionist said she'd assign us a room looking at their parking lot. Our flight arrived to Fort Lauderdale airport late night, and we were at the hotel after midnight. Went to our room (5th floor), and of course, our room was looking at both roads. I went down and asked about my call. I was told, yes, there had been another room assigned, but some time after 9 pm maintenance closed that room, and we got the last remaining room in the hotel. I feel I was lied to my face (why?), I can't imagine a reason for maintenance to do anything all of a sudden after 9 pm. And they also told me the windows were being replaced throughout the property. That's an old tale, I read about it a couple months ago in another review. Besides, how does it help to know that something might be improved in the future, when you are already there?
The room itself was ok for one night stay. Breakfast like at any BW. But if you value quietness, stay away from this property.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank NPBeginner
Dear NPBeginner,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our property. I do apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with your room. We do try our best to place guests on the parking lot side but it is not garanteed at all times. It is possible for maintenance to put some rooms out of order at any time for security reasons not necessarily for anything that needs to be repaired inside the room. As for the windows, it does take some time for renovations to be completed it does not happen over night. There are permits and inspections that need to occur before the actual renovations can begin and sometimes depending on the city it takes months. Guests can actually witness the renovations to the windows from the highway and from the parking lot. Once again I do apologize for all your inconviniences and hope that you are able to visit us after the renovations so that we can redeem our name.

Santa Clarita, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2013

I stayed here for 2 night in March. My reservation was for 3 nights. The hotel cancelled my reservation at 1pm on my day of arrival, while I was flying from CA to FL. When I get to the hotel at 9pm, they tell me I don't have a reservation. I pull out my phone to bring up my conformation number and then I notice an email from the hotel saying they are cancelling my reservation because when I made in back in October, I used a credit card that was going to expire in December. I had a new credit card with the same number and new expiration date, but that didn't matter to them. They insisted I don't have a room. After phone calls back and forth with customer service, they wanted to let me have the "last room" for 289.00 a night, when my reservation was for 99.00 a night. While I was waiting in the lobby to sort this out, numerous people came in trying to get a room. It was spring break, so very busy.

I KNOW they cancelled my room so they could get more money for it. They ended up finding me the last room and honored the 99.00 after I was in tears. Who would cancel a person reservation on the day of arrival? Best Western of Hollywood.

I was supposed to stay Saturday night too, but they didn't have a room. I called my uncle who is a lawyer and he got on it for me. The solution was for me to stay 15 miles away for 289.00. Nope, not going to do it. After me threatening that I wasn't going to leave and a few calls from my uncle, they found one more room for Saturday night. We ended up finding a different place to stay because I wasn't going to give BW one more penny.

To be clear, we did stay on Thurs and Fri night, but not Saturday night.

I wont even comment on the room or the location because they ruined it for me. I don't think I will ever stay at a BW again.

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Calicakes
Dalton-in-Furness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2013

Let me start by saying that my wife and I were very happy with our stay at this hotel. Yes, it's in need of some freshening up in our opinion. It's a little drab and it could do with some brightening up. Having said that, during our stay some rooms were being renovated so in a few months time it should look a lot better. We had a room on the car park side and because of this it was quiet and we had a very decent sleep over the 5 nights we were there. The room was ok and the beds were comfortable. The room was cleaned every day to a good standard and we had all we needed. The maid looked after us very well. Good Internet connection, provided free by the hotel. The reception and other staff were very friendly. In regards to breakfast we had all we needed. It's down as a continental breakfast but don't think of it as an European Continental Breakfast. It's self service and they provide things like waffles, bagels, toast, muffins, cereal, yogurt, egg, sausage meat and some fruit. Paper plates with plastic cutlery were used for breakfast. This is what my wife and I expected. As I said at the start we were happy with this hotel and it is good value for money, depending on which site you used to book it. We had no problem with the area itself and it was easy to get out and about. We had a rental car, which obviously helped but there is a good bus service (route 28) that takes you along Hallandale Beach Blvd every 30 minutes or so if needed. We did quite a bit during our 5 night stay and this hotel served our purpose very well. A good 5 night stay.

Room Tip: For a quiet time see if you can get a room on the car park side. However it looks like sound proofin...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ray T
bestwesternHallndale, Administrative Assistant at BEST WESTERN PLUS Hollywood/Aventura, responded to this review, 25 April 2013
Dear Ray T,

Thank you very much for reviewing our hotel; we really appreciate your contribution. As you mentioned we are currently renovating and we expect the hotel to look like new when finished. I am glad that our staff, breakfast and rooms were up to your standards and that it attributed to a pleasant stay with us. It is also great that the location was very helpful for you and that you had the chance to experience the convenient bus service in the area. We will be waiting to welcome you back with open arms on your next visit to our newly renovated hotel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hallandale Beach
Marenas Beach Resort
#2 of 9 in Sunny Isles Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,440 reviews
Margaritaville Beach Resort

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Hollywood/Aventura? Share your experiences!