“i wished i'd read the first review before today mar 31 2014”
Review of Chicken King

Chicken King
Ranked #10 of 28 Restaurants in Hernando
Reviewed 1 April 2014

After reading about new ownership in the chronicle, etc. and remembering chicken King from a few years back having gr8 chicken, we decided to try it once again, esp. since Reds, across from stumpknockers,' down the road was closed on Mondays. BIG BIG mistake. Folks, only the NAME is the same. This place ranks two notchs below McDonalds, and 4 below dennys. My wife is not a breakfast person, so I ordered a Cheese Omelette which was like a lead spongebob version lookalike of the light and fluffy waffle house counterpart. I simply could not eat it all. When the waitress returned to refill my coffee, my wife reached across and took a bite of my omelet and a piece of remaining toast. With that, the server turned over the check and promptly added a $1 PLATE SHARE charge to the bill. That's never happened in all the years we've been dining ANYWHERE and we eat out a lot. At first I thought it was for the extra 1/2 cup of java. Although I left an amenity, I really shouldn't have. My wife, on leaving pointed out the hand scrawled note on the entrance door stating "NO food or drink to be brought in".. Duh! WHOEVER operates this senior dependent business is going to follow the last owners into the dumper as well.. It sucks big time. Chicken king goes directly to the bottom of the list of desirable places in the entire area.. There is another restaurant right next door in the way of competition so the writing is on their wall...literally. Oh yeah the restroom was clean which was the highlight of the visit.One of the servers told us it was owned by the same ppl. as AJ's popular breakfast diner in crystal river. I find that hard to believe as there is NO comparison at all.

4  Thank brotherdav3
There are newer reviews for Chicken King

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Since the new owners have chosen to change almost everything about CHICKEN KING I would NOT recommend
this place to anyone wanting good food. You would be better off going to McDonalds.

1  Thank nachomama284
Reviewed 8 February 2014

It's the same little building, but it's obviously been cleaned up. I noticed they have a white floor now.The chicken doesn't taste like month old oil anymore either. I wrote them off a year ago because the place was pretty dirty. Either someone new bought it, or the health department quit taking payoffs and made them straighten up. They are back on my good list for now.

1  Thank kidritalin
Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

It's like eating at your Aunt's house, it's not fancy but close to home cooking just not quite as good as your mom's. The chicken was moist but a little greasy and definitely order a soda, the water isn't drinkable. It's priced accordingly though.

Reviewed 14 December 2013

Well folks... Chicken King has NEW owners yet again. They have implemented many changes and in this "regular" customers opinion.. The menu changes, food quality, portion size and price increases will once again kill the business.. It will go the way of Daves !!
BAD food, HIGH prices and owners that could care less about their customers.. Having eaten there as many as 3-5 times a week prior to this take-over.. I can in all honesty say.. we will be looking for a new go-to place to eat..
I would like to wish Nancy the best of luck in the future and to thank her for her many years of service to all of us Chicken Kingers!! You will be missed..

1  Thank nachomama284

Been to Chicken King? Share your experiences!